How confident are we in Byron Maxwell?

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
With Browner out for the foreseeable future... Maxwell will be the guy coming into the game in nickle packages to play the outside CB , (Thurmond will move to the slot in nickel).

Maxwell is the guy passing offenses will likely target on those 3rd and long plays.

How do we all feel about that? Confident or concerned?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99624 ... ured-groin

jlwaters1

Reaction score
not concerned at all. He played a lot last year when Browner was out 4 games, He played well on Sunday. I think he'll do just fine- this is his big opportunity to show he's ready to start. I'm hoping he does well.

Basis4day

Reaction score
4-0 last year with Browner out and Maxell/Lane filling in. And that was without Thurmond.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Like I said yesterday, out of all the LOB members Browner is the most replaceable. Doesn't mean he's not a great corner, he is. But IMO the dropoff between Browner and Maxwell is minimal.

Now if we have another DB injury and Browner's out for the year? THEN it's panic time. But for now? Maxwell could start on bout half of NFL rosters. So I'm just fine with him playing for Browner.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
As the offense picks up, there will be more emphasis on the pass by the opposing teams. This strikes me as good for Maxwell who could use his first interception in his young career.

Subzero717

Reaction score
jlwaters1":7cxa0x7c said:
not concerned at all. He played a lot last year when Browner was out 4 games, He played well on Sunday. I think he'll do just fine- this is his big opportunity to show he's ready to start. I'm hoping he does well.

Actually Lane started in Browners spot last year. Maxwell may have seen a few more. This training camp Maxwell cruised past Lane in competition. That being said we had our best run without Browner so I think we're okay.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I am not.

But, then, neither was I confident in Kearse.

Nor did I think it was a realistic decision to start a rookie third round quarterback.

So what the hell do I know?

There is a reason he is on the roster.

JKent82

Reaction score
Last season not so much. This season for sure. Maxwell used to look stiff and unable to run with guys but that's most definitely changed. He's fluid, plays the ball, and isn't afraid to tackle. If you can get those three things out of a 4th corner it's looking pretty good.

I still like Jeremy Lane too so I think we'll be alright.

Jville

Reaction score
I have begun to trust Byron Maxwell.

Byron has managed to stay healthier this year. His availability has been much better in 2013.

His technique and atheletic performances are improved.

His physical play is as strong as anyone in the defensive backfield with the probable exception of Kam Chancelor.

Byron Maxwell is showing up as a physical ... red line ... press corner.

My confidence in him is growing.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter who we start out there. Any DB on our roster is going to be better than half the league's #2 DB.

rightbench

Reaction score
does anyone know if Tharold Simon is a viable potential replacement for browner next year? I know he's about the same size, but unfortunately that's all I know about him. Never watched his college tape or anything.

Jville

Reaction score
rightbench":141h7rw4 said:
does anyone know if Tharold Simon is a viable potential replacement for browner next year? I know he's about the same size, but unfortunately that's all I know about him. Never watched his college tape or anything.
That is why they drafted him .... to compete in 2014.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think this team is better without Browner in the starting line up. Thurmond will start in two WR sets and bump over to the slot in 3 wr set moving Maxwell over. I also don't mind Lane out wide.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Did you see his coverage on the Atlanta TD? He was tight on that dude and almost deflected it! And that's coming off the bench! The kid is talented, but more importantly he is getting elite coaching.

None of these guys, except for ET, would be as good as they are if they were on another team. Pete's philosophy has made them very good and is the reason people are grabbing our DBs when they can.

Like a lot of the players on this team, they are set up for success by this coaching staff and the team around them. What other group of DBs care about each other and are as tight as this group? None. I would even argue that the closeness of these DBs started before Sherman did, they were close, just not as close as this group is.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I'm totally fine with Maxwell. Last year he was dinged up and his health this year seems to be much better. We could do a lot worse at 3rd or 4th string DB or whatever string he is.

Although I do wonder why he wears those long sleeve shirts under his jersey, haha.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
I am quite confident. He has played well and he is the most physical of the 3 (Thurmond, Lane).

Latest posts