What is your preference?

• Higher Draft Pick

Votes: 46 76.7%
  • Playoffs: One & Done

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

CactusJack

Reaction score
The team currently is slotted to have the 15th pick.

Loss to Arizona= Pick between #13-15

Win & GB Win= Pick #15-17

Win & GB Loss= Playoffs & Pick 20-21 (Wildcard Loss)

If you had a choice between a higher pick vs. being a One & Done playoff team, what would you choose?

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Neither will matter, but probably the higher pick.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Nothing exciting about being one & done in the playoffs. At least with a draft pick between 12-15 in a draft class with a good amount of QB's, there's the excitement that they just might take a QBotF. And if they don't get either a playoff win, or the next franchise QB, then this whole season will have been just a massive disappointment, more than it already is.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
We've proven we can beat the Cowboys and Lions. There's no reason to assume we'd be one-and-done in the playoffs.
The question is, would you choose a path to the playoffs, knowing that it would result in being one-and-done?

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
Nothing exciting about being one & done in the playoffs. At least with a draft pick between 12-15 in a draft class with a good amount of QB's, there's the excitement that they just might take a QBotF. And if they don't get either a playoff win, or the next franchise QB, then this whole season will have been just a massive disappointment, more than it already is.
You might not get a QB, but a very good player could fall to you. Someone like Laiatu Latu or Jared Verse just might be available in that range.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I picked one and done but I don't really buy the premise of the question: The reason you want to see a team get to the playoffs is because they are literally starting the second season.

Saying 'but they're guaranteed to lose' not 'they'll probably lose' or 'they're favored to lose' means it's not really the playoffs.

Having no chance of victory basically makes this a nothing option. It's like, 'Hi, would you like to watch your team lose an extra game with no stakes since they're guaranteed to lose or get a higher draft pick'?

There is no upside to the first option and there is no downside to the second.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
I picked one and done but I don't really buy the premise of the question: The reason you want to see a team get to the playoffs is because they are literally starting the second season.

Saying 'but they're guaranteed to lose' not 'they'll probably lose' or 'they're favored to lose' means it's not really the playoffs.

Having no chance of victory basically makes this a nothing option. It's like, 'Hi, would you like to watch your team lose an extra game with no stakes since they're guaranteed to lose or get a higher draft pick'?

There is no upside to the first option and there is no downside to the second.
If you know you will make the playoffs but lose in the Wildcard Round, is it worth it to you?

Or, would you prefer they lose (Week 18) & get a higher draft slot?

That's the question.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
If you know you will make the playoffs but lose in the Wildcard Round, is it worth it to you?

That's the question.
But it doesn't make sense if I know for certain they'll lose. That's the issue.

Would I prefer they make the WC as long as they have a CHANCE to win, even if highly unlikely? Yes, absolutely. Would I rather they not make the playoffs just to get 5 or whatever spots higher on a draft board? No. Because that usually amounts to nothing.

I watch the Seahawks play games to watch them hopefully win, go to the playoffs, and hopefully win there, too. A guaranteed loss means I have no 'hopefully win' as an option so there is no reason to even watch the game.

But to get to the 'idea' behind the question, teams that don't win don't get better just by being bigger losers in the NFL. That's not really a thing. Very few of the teams that have had less playoff success than the Seahawks the last 8 years or whatever (which is basically half of the league) are doing better than us now by virtue of having had less playoff appearances or victories.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
But it doesn't make sense if I know for certain they'll lose. That's the issue.
You have your answer then.

It's perfectly acceptable to want them to be competitive yet at the same time lose a close game to Arizona next week. Assuming you think that the higher draft slot would benefit the team more in the long run.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
We've proven we can beat the Cowboys and Lions. There's no reason to assume we'd be one-and-done in the playoffs.

I don't see them beating either again though. Their coaches will learn from their mistakes while we'll still have good old post season game day Pete.

knownone

Reaction score
I’m going to guess very few teams with the worst run defense in football win many playoff games?
I'm going to guess they've already beaten the Lions twice in Detroit and should have beaten the Cowboys. So having the worst run defense seems irrelevant.

Also, is this question mark usage a meme I'm unaware of?

knownone

Reaction score
The question is, would you choose a path to the playoffs, knowing that it would result in being one-and-done?
Fair enough. But if you're playing the foresight game, what if you also knew the high draft pick would be a bust?

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
Haven't y'all been paying attention??

Preferring a better draft position to meaningless wins in yet another lost season makes you, yes *you*, a less gooder fan!

#Winning! #Superfan!

flv2

Reaction score
Looking at chart values and taking into account the Seahawks don't have their own 2nd round pick the difference between picking #12 and #20 in each round would value out at about pick #50 overall. It's a bigger amount than I thought it would be. I'd take the extra win and playoff spot but I couldn't be mad at someone who wanted to avoid losing that amount of value. Then again i've looked at some high picks and at the time thought that was a complete waste of resources.

getnasty

Reaction score
I’m going to guess very few teams with the worst run defense in football win many playoff games?

Probably more likely then a team with a 7-9 record winning a playoff game.