Hey Jerry Brewer ... SHUT UP!!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
tom sawyer":1ly4kl23 said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2022187428_brewer04xml.html

merely surviving when they should be thriving.

After staving off humiliation in a 14-9 victory in St. Louis last Monday,

This was a sleepwalking, superior team getting slapped upside the head by an inferior foe, then waking up and winning once their attentiveness matched their talent.

But if style points don’t matter much in winning,
Why don't you ask coach Carroll this question!!

:187734:

We are 8-1 and on the road to success. I love watching them play.. HOWEVER THEY PLAY!
And I'll take a win... ANY WIN! And I will thank them!! And you didn't even end your stupid-ass op-ed with a GO HAWKS! You dick-head!!

So shut the f**k up Jerry!!! :thfight7:

Nothing Brewer says is false. If you think this team should be eeking out wins every week over inferior opponents, I don't know what to tell you.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":10i9osux said:
Are the 9-0 Kansas City Chiefs also just surviving?

Is this a serious question?

Lately they've been looking as vulnerable as we are against inferior opponents. And I guarantee you Chiefs fans are worried about their two matchups against Denver coming up.

No one is sulking over 8-1.. they just want the team to maybe just maybe.. not fall behind 21 to a winless club at home or amass 130 yards on the road against the Rams with a 2nd string QB.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
This is much better!! Way to go Bob Condotta

It was the moment it became apparent the Seahawks truly would turn the potential infamy of losing at home as a 16-point favorite — only one time had they ever been favored by more — into the history of rallying from 21 points down, the biggest comeback in Seattle’s 38 years as an NFL franchise.

“That just kind of let you know that we’re here, that we’re coming for this win,” said Seattle coach Pete Carroll. “It was an incredible play.”

Even if at first, many watching probably were using a different adjective as Tate drifted to his own 4-yard line to catch the ball with just over a minute left in the third quarter and Seattle trailing 24-14.

“You can’t be timid,” said quarterback Russell Wilson. “You’ve got to be able to step up and make a play.”

Tate did just that, breaking or evading six tackles as he crisscrossed the field before being tackled at the Tampa Bay 25.

“We were down; we needed something to happen,” Tate said. “Once I got the ball in my hands, I just played backyard football.”

The Seahawks were forced to settle for a 36-yard Steven Hauschka field goal on the ensuing possession. But that cut the lead to 24-17 and seemed to create a sense of inevitability on each sideline as to how the game would finish.

“You could see the momentum shift, and the crowd got into it and got pumped,” said Tampa Bay cornerback Darrelle Revis, who called it “probably the biggest play of the game.”

From there Seattle dominated as Tampa Bay got only two first downs the rest of the game and just 37 yards on four possessions in the fourth quarter and overtime. The Seattle offense, meanwhile, got a 10-yard pass from Wilson to Doug Baldwin with 1:51 left to force overtime. In overtime, the Seahawks completed the comeback with a 51-yard, Marshawn Lynch-led drive to set up Hauschka’s 27-yard game-winning field goal with 8:11 left.

“It’s fun football, isn’t it?,” Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman asked afterward.

Certainly, it was memorable.
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 04xml.html

hawk45

Reaction score
It's one thing to lose to the Colts, Niners, Saints, etc. or to go down big to those teams early, or just to look bad against those teams in general. It's quite another when it happens against bottom-feeders with backup QBs.

I don't see where Jerry is being bombastic to sell newspapers, or where he's being disrespectful or untruthful. This team has been its own worst enemy against inferior opponents recently, this last time at home even, and it speaks to a lack of focus. Sooner or later it's going to happen one too many times and put HFA needlessly at risk. Which will be too bad, because hanging tough with injuries against decent teams early in the season has us in the catbird seat.

Regarding Russell and the Bucs, the good news is none of us believe we'll be seeing multiple-INT games from him in the future. That game was the perfect storm of the the defense losing focus and turnovers in the red zone. The defense faded down the stretch last year also, here's hoping if they do it again the offense will rise late also, or we're in trouble.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I really don't get the "Nothing wrong with my 8-1 Hawks" fan. What is this hear no evil so no evil BS? Do I love that we're 8-1? Is this the most fun season to root for the Hawks in my lifetime? Do I think we have the best chance in our history to win a Superbowl? Yes, yes and yes. Do I like the lapses on the Oline and the hits Russell takes? Do I like that short passes over the middle get completed too often? Do I like giving up 400 rushing yards to a couple of no names? No, no and no. Does it give me some concern that if we do that against New Orleans or the Niners we wont be able to come back? It makes me wonder which are the real Hawks. I have doubts. As some of the "Don't criticize my Hawks" have said, this is the NFL. There are lots of good players on every team. Any given Sunday If you're so certain the Hawks will win why watch? You should go fishing. A little doubt is what makes it fun.

Now go crack a beer and sit down!

SC

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawk45":27aih7bu said:
It's one thing to lose to the Colts, Niners, Saints, etc. or to go down big to those teams early, or just to look bad against those teams in general. It's quite another when it happens against bottom-feeders with backup QBs.

Exactly. And while our offense has validated itself on the road against a gauntlet of tough, tough D-lines this year, give any of those teams a more productive QB and the story could well change. There are games like that waiting for us in the postseason, BTW, so don't tell me that I'm being irrational, Scotte.

My problem with Brewer is that he goes into no detail at all and treats the team like a bunch of hedonists standing around getting stoned. "Sleepwalking", in his words, like they don't care. That's insulting to the team. They're playing their asses off, Jerry, thank you very much. The problem is in the personnel and the playbook, not the effort.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1lttyons said:
My problem with Brewer is that he goes into no detail at all and treats the team like a bunch of hedonists standing around getting stoned. "Sleepwalking", in his words, like they don't care. That's insulting to the team. They're playing their asses off, Jerry, thank you very much. The problem is in the personnel and the playbook, not the effort.

Well when your offense has like -10 yards of offense in the first half against the Rams, and 50 yards of offense in the first half against the Bucs, what other words would you use instead of "sleepwalking?" Flat? Unmotivated? Un-energized? Ill prepared? Idk, take your pic, but it's not a good word that's for sure.

hawk45

Reaction score
I do agree that accusing the entire team of sleepwalking is a little lazy.

On the OL, it's just a continuation of the season-long suckage without our tackles. At the QB position, Russ had a bad throw or 2 he usually doesn't have that were pretty big factors in just how far down we got. Then again Russ was under seige and getting killed as usual, so while I'm okay observing he made some bad throws, I'm likely to follow that by also observing "it's crazy he doesn't throw the ball to the other team much much more given the pounding he's accumulated."

The defensive side is where I'd be more receptive to a sleepwalking argument. We've heard the assignment-correct theory and yeah, it's plausible for now (less plausible after TWO games against crappy opponents). But the pass rush was also far less scary at home than it's been (esp against a backup QB FFS)...what's the assignment-correct explanation for that?

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":27m68q6g said:
hawk45":27m68q6g said:

Exactly. And while our offense has validated itself on the road against a gauntlet of tough, tough D-lines this year, give any of those teams a more productive QB and the story could well change. There are games like that waiting for us in the postseason, BTW, so don't tell me that I'm being irrational, Scotte.

My problem with Brewer is that he goes into no detail at all and treats the team like a bunch of hedonists standing around getting stoned. "Sleepwalking", in his words, like they don't care. That's insulting to the team. They're playing their asses off, Jerry, thank you very much. The problem is in the personnel and the playbook, not the effort

This.... is what set me off, his whole attitude of ingratitude!!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dyla927 said:
MontanaHawk05":1dyla927 said:

Well when your offense has like -10 yards of offense in the first half against the Rams, and 50 yards of offense in the first half against the Bucs, what other words would you use instead of "sleepwalking?" Flat? Unmotivated? Un-energized? Ill prepared? Idk, take your pic, but it's not a good word that's for sure.

I'd choose stuff like "deploying a thoroughly mediocre O-line missing two tackles against one of the league's D-lines", "WRs dropping passes", "lacking a FB", "confusing playcalling", "Wilson throwing a pick", "getting kept off the field by the opposition's run game"...you know, actual specific stuff. Instead of just calling out the whole damn team like a lazy journalist.

kearly

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of Brewer and when I read that article on Monday it rubbed me the wrong way as well. At his best, he sounds like captain hindsight. At his worst, he sounds like a whiny entitled fan. He is always looking back, never forward, and I have yet to read a single insight from anything he's written.

The way he writes, I almost wonder if he watches the games, or if he just formulates talking points from the box scores like the national sports writers do.

seahawks08

Reaction score
9:00 to noon talk shows suck on 950 and 710. I can't stand Jerry for some reason. His tone, topics chosen and all of that makes me switch channels. He doesn't sound enthusiastic ever. Brock and Salk was great but with Danny, he is too finesse and Brock is too melow and kumbaiya kind of guy. Softy and Mitch are great but I barely drive when they are on air. I wish they fixed the 9 to noon talk shows.

razor150

Reaction score
This fanbase takes egotistical and thin skinned to epic levels. Half this board already has us in the Super bowl and winning it. Anybody who doesn't agree with them is trolls or just bandwagon fans. Sometimes reading posts like this almost makes me root against the team I have supported my entire life through thick and thin.

BamKam

Reaction score
This board has some ridiculous fans. Seahawks have NOT been playing at the level that a Super Bowl contending team should be right now. Injuries are to blame yes but someone just making a simple observation and being told to STFU about it is really dumb.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":9m4sq2qr said:
He echos most of the posters here on this board. Honestly, I think Seahawks fans care more about style points and power polls more than winning.
I think it is reasonable to care about both. The reality is that we primarily care about winning the Super Bowl because we know that other fan bases consider it the most important goal. Perception is what defines success, and this is true even for Hawk fans such as myself who advocate winning over polls. We are just playing a longer game by rooting for an eventual Super Bowl that would significantly outweigh any mid season polls. That doesn't make posters who want short term poll success inferior fans, they just want to have their cake and eat it too.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
BamKam":2i54ikad said:
This board has some ridiculous fans. Seahawks have NOT been playing at the level that a Super Bowl contending team should be right now. Injuries are to blame yes but someone just making a simple observation and being told to STFU about it is really dumb.
Totally agree thank God it's only the midpoint of the season. By the way just how is an" expected Superbowl champion" supposed to perform in week 8?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You can go 15-1 and dominate in every single victory and still lose your first playoff game. 2011 Green Bay Packers, anyone? Go look at their box scores if you don't believe me. I choose to enjoy each win as it comes and whichever way it comes. This notion of "looking like a Super Bowl team" in a league of parity is hilarious to me. Have people in Seattle been watching the NFL over the last decade? When was the last time the Week 8 paper champion actually won the championship? Please let me know.

Discussing various aspects of the team whether positive or negative is all good. But I'd love it if I never heard the phrases "this isn't a SB team!" or "the team needs to wake up!" after a W ever again in my life. Enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
BamKam":1kyjhntn said:

Really? Explain (in detail) how a team cappable of executing a comeback win down 3TDs couldn't be SB worthy in 7 weeks from now?

:Dunno: