Hawks sign DT Earl Mitchell

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Zero guarantee he makes the team. Pete likes 193 players fighting for the final roster. Haven't we learned this by now?

chris98251

Reaction score
The number 21 million a year is a farce, you know how they arrange bonuses and pay a heavy upfront package or back end they never see. that may be what it averages but I don't think that is the consistent hit, we balked because we have a lot of contracts were going to be working such as Wagner and at the time also Wilson.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here is a combine profile for Mitchell, who has so far failed to live up to his 3rd round (Pick #81 Texans)
draft position:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ear ... ?id=496822

He was expected to be a Gino Atkins type interior pass rusher, he isn't. There were other players I had thought the team might be more interested in acquiring. I would suspect this will be a low cost signing when the numbers are revealed..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":2iw7ops6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2iw7ops6 said:
McGruff":2iw7ops6 said:
That is less inspiring than I expected, and my expectations were pretty low.

What were your expectations?

Reeds suspended for six games, any signing was going to be a temporary bargain band aid signing until Reed's back.
Low.

I would've preferred Rubin or Luiget.

I trust Pete and John to sign the best temporary fit. Mitchell is good against the run, and the Hawks know him well, as he was here in 2017 for a visit and obviously playing for the Niners last year.

Brighter news is Ansah was cleared to practice today, which is fantastic news. With Christmas on the PUP and now Reed gone, we needed this good news. Ansah starting the season on the PUP would have been no bueno for an already thin D-line.

xray

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":ik3xaeh9 said:
They need to open the pocket book a little and go get Mike Daniels.

Indeed.... sometimes the fill-in guy is better than your #1

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":22ru8dek said:
Well, nobody else has signed Rubin or Liuget. There's clearly a reason for it. As in EVERY team in the league has passed on them to this point, not just the Hawks.

Maybe some dirty laundry ya think ?... ;)

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hsf7b1g said:
McGruff":2hsf7b1g said:
Sgt. Largent":2hsf7b1g said:
McGruff":2hsf7b1g said:
That is less inspiring than I expected, and my expectations were pretty low.

What were your expectations?

Reeds suspended for six games, any signing was going to be a temporary bargain band aid signing until Reed's back.
Low.

I would've preferred Rubin or Luiget.

I trust Pete and John to sign the best temporary fit. Mitchell is good against the run, and the Hawks know him well, as he was here in 2017 for a visit and obviously playing for the Niners last year.

Brighter news is Ansah was cleared to practice today, which is fantastic news. With Christmas on the PUP and now Reed gone, we needed this good news. Ansah starting the season on the PUP would have been no bueno for an already thin D-line.

That is good news, as well as Dissly being a full go.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":2mlhc752 said:
The number 21 million a year is a farce, you know how they arrange bonuses and pay a heavy upfront package or back end they never see. that may be what it averages but I don't think that is the consistent hit, we balked because we have a lot of contracts were going to be working such as Wagner and at the time also Wilson.

It is NOT a farce. That is the average per year his contract pays him! That is the only reasonable way to compare one contract to another besides considering the total bonus $$.

Frank Clark signed a 5 year, $104,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $19,000,000 signing bonus, $62,305,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $20,800,000. In 2019, Clark will earn a base salary of $805,000, a signing bonus of $16,500,000, a workout bonus of $195,000 and a incentive bonus of $300,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,500,000 and a dead cap value of $43,805,000.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
jammerhawk":19tpz1pg said:
Here is a combine profile for Mitchell, who has so far failed to live up to his 3rd round (Pick #81 Texans)
draft position:

He was expected to be a Gino Atkins type interior pass rusher, he isn't. There were other players I had thought the team might be more interested in acquiring. I would suspect this will be a low cost signing when the numbers are revealed..

No wonder he struggled. It's hard to be a DT when you're only 215 pds.

Yes, I know that must be a typo on the NFL draft site.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3lfpqa18 said:
jammerhawk":3lfpqa18 said:
draft position:

No wonder he struggled. It's hard to be a DT when you're only 215 pds.

Yes, I know that must be a typo on the NFL draft site.

It's probably a typo, FYI.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
When it comes to defense, in Pete I trust. Plenty of our past players weren't splash signings at first. Even on offense, literally no one was expecting Chris Carson to develop into what he is. Just give it time

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":1e6bdgtb said:
chris98251":1e6bdgtb said:

It is NOT a farce. That is the average per year his contract pays him! That is the only reasonable way to compare one contract to another besides considering the total bonus $$.

Frank Clark signed a 5 year, $104,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $19,000,000 signing bonus, $62,305,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $20,800,000. In 2019, Clark will earn a base salary of $805,000, a signing bonus of $16,500,000, a workout bonus of $195,000 and a incentive bonus of $300,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,500,000 and a dead cap value of $43,805,000.

But salary and Bonus split the hit year in and year out. Why contracts are weighted to suit whats needed.