Hasselbeck Fired! - Dammit!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Phvck Pat McAfee and his stupid tank tops and macho bullshit meandering garbage. Anytime he shows up in a YouTube playlist I'm reminded of one of my favorite George Carlin bits, "shut it down, Bruno, you smell like an anchovie's c^nt."

He typifies every tired feature of what's become prevalent in sports "journalism."

Get offa my lawn!

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Phvck Pat McAfee and his stupid tank tops and macho bullshit meandering garbage. Anytime he shows up in a YouTube playlist I'm reminded of one of my favorite George Carlin bits, "shut it down, Bruno, you smell like an anchovie's c^nt."

He typifies every tired feature of what's become prevalent in sports "journalism."

Get offa my lawn!
Never was a fan of mcafee. Kind of reminds me of that one friend you had that always tried too hard to be cool .

beaumaris

Reaction score
Didn't watch him much as I've been kind of ignoring ESPN the last few years. I've seen enough of him to know, though, that he is knowledgeable and a pretty funny guy. Hope he finds a better gig.
He is funny,We want the ball,and we’re going to score.
always has me in stitches.:ROFLMAO:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Serious question
Probably get a better answer to "What AV tools to use on iPad" in one of the other forums, maybe the Lounge?

I have and use a couple iPads, sparingly, but haven't used with Seahawks.NET yet. More of a desktop PC guy but got iPads for my fiancee and her daughter and they use them heavily for youtube and other media and web browsing. I bet we have several members who could give great answers. I'll post that topic for you if you want, just let me know.

RiverDog

Reaction score
They apparently fired Suzy Kobler, too. Ever since that slobbering drunk Joe Namath told her on national TV that he wanted to give her a kiss and the very professional way in which she handled it, both during and after, she became one of my favorites.

The entertainment landscape is changing. This happens every 30-40 years. Radio started out in the 20's then was replaced by TV in the 50's and 60's. Network TV started getting nudged out by cable TV in the 80's. Now, in the 2020's, cable TV is getting pushed to the sidelines by internet streaming.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
They apparently fired Suzy Kobler, too. Ever since that slobbering drunk Joe Namath told her on national TV that he wanted to give her a kiss and the very professional way in which she handled it, both during and after, she became one of my favorites.

The entertainment landscape is changing. This happens every 30-40 years. Radio started out in the 20's then was replaced by TV in the 50's and 60's. Network TV started getting nudged out by cable TV in the 80's. Now, in the 2020's, cable TV is getting pushed to the sidelines by internet streaming.
How do you think that shift to streaming is going to affect NFL revenues. Cable TV is the largest budget contributor to the league, by far and away I'm guessing.

Is this the reason for the shift/side hustle/takeover of Gambling revenue for the league?

I don't know a ton about league $ - but I know it's all network TV right now isn't it?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
How do you think that shift to streaming is going to affect NFL revenues. Cable TV is the largest budget contributor to the league, by far and away I'm guessing.

Is this the reason for the shift/side hustle/takeover of Gambling revenue for the league?

I don't know a ton about league $ - but I know it's all network TV right now isn't it?
They signed a deal with Google/YouTube, so they know where everything is headed.

RiverDog

Reaction score

It hasn't been "all network TV" for some time. ESPN, for example, isn't part of network TV, which is basically ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, channels you can get over the air for free. ESPN is considered a service provided by cable or satellite.

There are now more viewers of TV via internet streaming services, like Sling, Hulu, Apple TV, et al, than there are cable, satellite, or broadcast TV. Indeed, the last two major TV contracts awarded by the NFL, for Thursday Night Football (to Amazon Prime) and Sunday Ticket (to Google/YouTube) have been to internet streaming services. As the previous poster said, it's the direction the market is going.

As far as what it's going to do to NFL revenues, I assume that since there are a TON of streaming services, including current network and cable providers (ESPN+, NBC's Peacock, etc.), that the increase in competition for those contracts would result in higher awards.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It hasn't been "all network TV" for some time. ESPN, for example, isn't part of network TV, which is basically ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, channels you can get over the air for free. ESPN is considered a service provided by cable or satellite.

There are now more viewers of TV via internet streaming services, like Sling, Hulu, Apple TV, et al, than there are cable, satellite, or broadcast TV. Indeed, the last two major TV contracts awarded by the NFL, for Thursday Night Football (to Amazon Prime) and Sunday Ticket (to Google/YouTube) have been to internet streaming services. As the previous poster said, it's the direction the market is going.

As far as what it's going to do to NFL revenues, I assume that since there are a TON of streaming services, including current network and cable providers (ESPN+, NBC's Peacock, etc.), that the increase in competition for those contracts would result in higher awards.
Well in Canada here - I've pretty much exclusively watched NFL on DAZN - so I guess I've been streaming for a while - i think it was about 5 years ago that RedZone got pulled from shaw - which forced the issue. I pretty much watch; Redzone, and whoever the hawks are playing.

The only time I turn on 'network' is for the sunday night game - and honestly - Haven't even really been doing that last season much.

I guess we're kinda weird up here - I'm fairly sure that 'amazon' for us on the thursday night games this past year was on TSN/ESPN rebroadcast up here. It WASN'T on Amazon - I think I only watched 1/2 of 2 games, and that was to catch Sherman.

So markets are kinda different, with us lagging behind a bit, and out front a bit.

At the end of the day, the league doesn't care WHERE your eyeballs come from - just that they're capturing all sources of revenue I guess - which really is their job.

GemCity

Reaction score
Apparently, they got the phrase “Take out the trash” backwards.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Well in Canada here - I've pretty much exclusively watched NFL on DAZN - so I guess I've been streaming for a while - i think it was about 5 years ago that RedZone got pulled from shaw - which forced the issue. I pretty much watch; Redzone, and whoever the hawks are playing.

The only time I turn on 'network' is for the sunday night game - and honestly - Haven't even really been doing that last season much.

I guess we're kinda weird up here - I'm fairly sure that 'amazon' for us on the thursday night games this past year was on TSN/ESPN rebroadcast up here. It WASN'T on Amazon - I think I only watched 1/2 of 2 games, and that was to catch Sherman.

So markets are kinda different, with us lagging behind a bit, and out front a bit.

At the end of the day, the league doesn't care WHERE your eyeballs come from - just that they're capturing all sources of revenue I guess - which really is their job.
Yes, the market up there in Canada is a bit different than it is here in the US. For example, Amazon's contract for Thursday Night Football covers only the US market.

Increased competition in the news/sports media is forcing companies to cut their budgets in order to remain competitive. From the NYT:

The news comes the same week as National Geographic’s second round of layoffs in a year, joining The Los Angeles Times, Vox Media, BuzzFeed and The Washington Post on the list of media companies that have tightened their belts recently.

Disney, ESPN’s parent company, has struggled to stem the tide of losses related to its streaming services as traditional television viewing declines. In May, Disney announced on its earnings call that revenue from its networks, which include ESPN, had fallen 7 percent. Earlier this year, the company’s chief executive, Robert A. Iger, announced a plan to cut $5.5 billion in costs by eliminating 7,000 jobs, which is 4 percent of Disney’s worldwide work force.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I demand to be heard, I demand an all Hasselbeck podcast and I don’t think that’s too much to ask. All of the Hasselbecks know deep down this is their destiny. Someone has to stick it to the Mannings cmon, you’re funnier!