Haniger - sign him or let him go?

sutz

Reaction score
We don't have polling in this forum yet (ask is in) so we'll have to do this manually, I guess.

Haniger is a bit of an enigma. He's a real contributor when healthy, but has been cursed by the injury bug. In 2021 he was a huge part of our near playoff run. He missed half of 2022 to injury, but did contribute when out there. He's a plus outfielder and that 39 homers from 2021 is tantalizing to be sure.

So, do we take a chance and sign him to a contract for 2023 going forward or let him walk?

I'm inclined to try to sign him to a mid-range contract for 3-4 years, with some incentives built in if they can. He's a leader on the team, and I still like his veteran presence in the outfield room. I guess he wants to 'test the FA market' this offseason. Somebody will give him a job. That's a given. I don't think he'll get one of those 7-8 year $200 million deals. If he does, then I'm good with sayonara Mitch, been nice knowing you. But if we can get him for $10-12 mill, perhaps with some incentives added on I think I would jump on it.

Comments?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think he probably gets more on the open market than in Seattle, so I think he probably leaves. I think that Seattle probably has a pretty accurate value of him. I wouldn't complain about re-signing him, I like Mitch and the guy plays hard every day, when he's not hurt.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sign him. He's that veteran presence, Plus Defense, one of our better hitters, and a Clubhouse Leader. I think he has his heart in the right place for the Mariners.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He needs to be on this team, for several reasons. He's a huge leader on this team, he sets an example of hard work (paging Jesse Winker, are you watching?) he's a hell of a hitter and outfielder. Players feed of his leadership and hard work.

balakoth

Reaction score
He needs to be on this team, for several reasons. He's a huge leader on this team, he sets an example of hard work (paging Jesse Winker, are you watching?) he's a hell of a hitter and outfielder. Players feed of his leadership and hard work.
This. I always hate that phrase "He's earned it" in baseball or business.. but.. ya know?

DJrmb

Reaction score
I think the Mariners will give Haniger a qualifying offer (19m+) and I don't think anyone else will offer enough on a longer term deal because of the injury issues. If they do though, and he signs, then we'd get a 1st round comp pick in return to go with the pick we'll get from Julio winning ROY.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
We don't have polling in this forum yet (ask is in) so we'll have to do this manually, I guess.

Haniger is a bit of an enigma. He's a real contributor when healthy, but has been cursed by the injury bug. In 2021 he was a huge part of our near playoff run. He missed half of 2022 to injury, but did contribute when out there. He's a plus outfielder and that 39 homers from 2021 is tantalizing to be sure.

So, do we take a chance and sign him to a contract for 2023 going forward or let him walk?

I'm inclined to try to sign him to a mid-range contract for 3-4 years, with some incentives built in if they can. He's a leader on the team, and I still like his veteran presence in the outfield room. I guess he wants to 'test the FA market' this offseason. Somebody will give him a job. That's a given. I don't think he'll get one of those 7-8 year $200 million deals. If he does, then I'm good with sayonara Mitch, been nice knowing you. But if we can get him for $10-12 mill, perhaps with some incentives added on I think I would jump on it.

Comments?
Would love to keep him if he is playing and healthy. The guy is an all-star level player that can carry a team when healthy. He’s always hurt is the problem. I think he likes the team, city, and fanbase but…. There are pretty strong rumors that Dipito and him don’t get along so if he is to stay they will likely have to overpay.

I thought 2 out of the 3 outfield prospects would pop between Julio, JK, and Trammell. I was wrong so far, Only Julio has at this point. I think JK will likely be a strong 4th OF type that plays great defense and runs the bases well, shows spurts of good hitting, but is inconsistent with the bat.

acer1240

Reaction score
Mitch is a fantastic player when healthy. I hadn't heard the rumors about him and Jerry though until I listened to the Salk interview. He's gone.

Latest posts