Grantland ranks Russel 2nd most valuable asset to Rodgers

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
salamander":kgvsu3cm said:
Here's a fun article
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/949 ... assets-nfl

He says he thinks Seattle would trade Russell for Aaron Rodgers straight up if they could...I'm not so sure

It certainly has to make us Seahawks fans feel great. I think Rodgers is clearly the best QB in the NFL, but Russell is our guy. I think I'll take my chances building a team loaded with stars while the star QB is making peanuts. Seems like a good recipe for success.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If Rodgers hadn't thrown a hissy fit, I might debate the trade in my head. However, Rodgers did, so I won't. I expect Wilson to have more Super Bowl wins under his belt by the end of his career.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Niner fans linking to this thread in 3... 2...

I'm not sure I'd put RW at #2 but that's pretty cool. No way I'd trade him away for anyone in the league by the way. Young, smart, humble and driven... not to mention talented as hell.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
The best part of that piece was clicking this linked Len Pasquarelli article from this time last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pasquarell ... --nfl.html

If the Seattle Seahawks intend to install a passing game package that addresses the height issues of rookie quarterback Russell Wilson, who measured only 5-feet-10 5/8 at the combine in February, it wasn't evident at the team's rookie camp last weekend.

Then again, it probably wouldn't be, since the rookie camp is basically designed as an orientation-type session, in which first-year players can get their feet on the ground.

"The basics first," quarterback coach Carl Smith acknowledged.

During the two-hour sessions with helmets only (by comparison, Seattle veterans have only been on the field for roughly 45 minutes-1 hour so far), perhaps the lone concession to Wilson's size was that he might have worked out of the shotgun a little more than normal.

But there is a suspicion among some Seahawks' veterans that for Wilson to be successful -- and there is considerable skepticism that the third-round draft choice can legitimately challenge Tarvaris Jackson or Matt Flynn for the No. 1 job, as coach Pete Carroll insisted -- offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell will have to implement a package that gets the former North Carolina State/Wisconsin star out of the traditional pocket.

Seattle officials constantly point to Wilson's over-the-top delivery and high release point, and his strong arm, but those things may not be sufficient for him to mount a march to the starting job.

Or, to actually contend for it.

Wilson overcame a lot of odds in his college career, but his height had him off the draft boards of a few teams last month, and some of Carroll's colleagues in the NFL privately question using a third-round pick on a prospect who, competitiveness aside, was graded by some as just a career No. 3 guy.

Looking back at all the talk from the draft and preseason last year feels like a fairy tale. Crazy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1nnnesdu said:

I'm not sure I'd put RW at #2 but that's pretty cool. No way I'd trade him away for anyone in the league by the way. Young, smart, humble and driven... not to mention talented as hell.
Rodgers is only quarterback I would even entertain in a trade but no for exactly the reasons you list and more, such as offensive mentality and philosophy just for starters.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It's amazing how many people missed the boat on Wilson. But I believe the majority of that was "group think" and jumping on the tar-and-feathering momentum and not doing research themselves. That's proven by the never-ending reference to his height and nothing about all the other things he has that offsets it.

Anyone that talks first about his height ... it's obvious to me they just listened to someone elses opinion and didn't watch him play. The same applies for those thinking he is going to have some kind of a letdown or "slump" this season.

IMO, he is slump proof....if for any other reason than he will work his ass off to get out of it or fix something, as he proved over and over again.

On the contrary, I think Wilson is poised for a monster season. It may not be a monster season like Rodgers, Brees or Brady have - because we will still be a run dominant team. But Wilson is going to crush.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rodgers is clearly the best in football imo, but we have a first round talent with a 3rd round pick. He will be a Hawk for 10+ years, easily. And will win a couple Titles as well.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh, all of the talk about 'best QB in football' has to have a caveat in my mind. Is that player best for the system he's in? IMHO, not too many QBs around the league could do better in our system than Russ has shown so far. Rodgers does well in their more pure passing offense; I'm not so sure he'd be as good in our run-first, throw on PA type offense, with Pistol and RO thrown in for spice. Not that he's a bad QB, but I like what we have going here.

As a matter of fact, if we did trade Wilson for Rodgers, I think GB would have made the better trade. Wilson has shown great adaptability in different offenses, including shifts in style/philosophy for us in the one year he's played. I doubt AR is that adaptable. I think he'd take a season or two to get as good as he is now. Very few QBs are as adaptable as RW IMHO.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
When it comes to straight up value, however, Wilson is way, way, way ahead of Rodgers. Green Bay is going to pay 39,000,000 dollars more than Seattle for the same (or fewer) wins.

sutz

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":28wg85h5 said:
When it comes to straight up value, however, Wilson is way, way, way ahead of Rodgers. Green Bay is going to pay 39,000,000 dollars more than Seattle for the same (or fewer) wins.
I was kind of leaving the money issue aside, but it's a very important part of the question. :)

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Yeah, I don't know if we make that trade just because Wilson's value is nuts, even if Rodgers is a better player at this point (at this point).

I honestly don't think that at this point, Seattle trades Wilson for anyone. WAY too much value there, especially if he gets better this year. He might be number one on the list next year at that point.

Also, on the list above Sherman, I would trade him straight up for: Watt, Rodgers, Luck, Ryan, and Calvin Johnson, assuming that T-Jack is our starter and not Wilson as Barnwell asks us to do when considering this chart. That's it.

EDIT: Oh, and Wilson. If we had T-Jack as starter here and had the chance to trade for Wilson, I would use Sherman to get Wilson in about two seconds.

Hawks46

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1nhs08h9 said:
E.C. Laloosh":1nhs08h9 said:

Rodgers is only quarterback I would even entertain in a trade but no for exactly the reasons you list and more, such as offensive mentality and philosophy just for starters.

I'd probably do it, but two things bother me:

1. Wilson is very young. We'd have him for longer. Not sure, but is Rodgers 30 yet ? It's not like we'd be getting Peyton Manning, but we'd lose 5 years of Wilson.

2. The contract. If we traded straight across right now, we'd have to dismantle half of our team to fit Rodgers under the cap. Not liking that.

All in all though, yea Rodgers is pretty much the best QB in the league, so it would be an interesting trade.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Why I wouldn't trade Wilson for Rodgers: No knock on Rodgers, one of the best QB's in the NFL, but our oline is built to be run first, so our pass pro is always going to be weaker and Rodgers lacks Wilson't mobility. Also, Wilson is much younger than Rodgers and so has a longer career ahead of him. I'm not even going into the salary issues, since Wilson is so cheap, any trade would have to take that into account.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Hmm...he might not be as slippery as Russell, but he's definitely in the top 10 NFL starters, mobility wise.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
thebanjodude":ljo4aa9q said:
Hmm...he might not be as slippery as Russell, but he's definitely in the top 10 NFL starters, mobility wise.
That's true, but it's quite a drop off. Wilson ranks 2nd in the NFL with 13 broken tackles, 10 houdini's and 3 past LOS. Rodgers is 10th with 5 broken tackles, 4 houdini's and 1 past LOS.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Wilson hasn't even hit his NFL ceiling yet. Just the personality difference would make me say no, not to mention our offensive differences, and the price tag.

kearly

Reaction score
After Wilson flipped the switch, the only QB in the NFL that was close to his level of efficiency was RG3. Wilson is also forty times less expensive for the next 3 seasons than Rodgers. He's several years younger, he's more of a running threat, better intangibles, etc. Trading Wilson for Rodgers would be like trading Mike Trout for Miguel Cabrera. Both are really damn good, but that misses the point. The Angels would be morons to trade Trout for Cabrera.

Pretty much the only argument against having Wilson #1 is just the uncertainty factor. Rodgers is a fully proven commodity, both in terms of performance and health. Wilson isn't quite there yet, so that adds a degree of risk. I think his performance is the real deal, and he's stayed very healthy in his five college plus NFL seasons, but at 5'10+", you never know. Short, mobile QBs are notorious for being injury prone (Jeff Garcia, Michael Vick, Steve Young, etc). Wilson knows how to protect his body and has a certain talent for turning what should be crushing blows into glancing hits, so I think his injury risk isn't that bad. But again, we can't know for sure after just 1 NFL season.

Regardless, Wilson should be #1. I'd probably have RG3 #2. I think most defenses would rather face Rodgers than a healthy RG3, and RG3 is far less expensive than Rodgers over the next four NFL seasons. RG3 was basically having the best season ever by a mobile QB before his injury. He's also just 23 years old.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Rodgers comes off as kind of douchey. But, I've only seen a small sampling of him off the field.

I'll take Russell all day. Seems like a more genuine, likeable fella...and has the ability/potential/drive to be a great QB.

Latest posts