Graham playing Sunday

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Oops...I said like 4 games in he would start. Nevermind.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I don't think Cruz is an apt comparison as it was a calf strain that hobbled him last year in addition to the patellar.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":12kox2dm said:
massari":12kox2dm said:
Still skeptical on whether or not he'll be able to play at the same level he was at before the injury.

Here's what orthopedic surgeon, Dr Jeff Budoff said:

"As a reminder, Graham tore his patellar tendon. Historically, that’s been a devastating injury from which to return. Here’s what our own orthopedic surgeon, Dr Jeff Budoff, had to say about it:

Please see my Victor Cruz article from this past offseason. In short, it’s extremely difficult to return to full effectiveness from a patellar tendon tear. The odds are overwhelming that Graham’s explosiveness, acceleration, top speed and quickness will be permanently compromised, and he’ll probably never again be able to jump quite as high or change direction quite as fast. In all medical probability, he’ll never again be 100% the Jimmy Graham we knew.

Victor Cruz never made it back (at least yet) from his patellar tendon tear. Nor did Ryan Williams. Or Greg Childs. Jerod Mayo returned this year after a torn patellar tendon last year, but posted just 2.2 tackles per game, vs 5.7/game for his pre-injury career. Jim Leonhard started 53 games over four seasons prior to tearing his patellar tendon in 2011. He returned the following season, but only started 13 games over the next three years. Cadillac Williams tore a patellar tendon in back-to-back seasons (2007 and 2008) and returned to play each time, finally leaving the NFL after the 2011 season. But his performance never really recovered."
http://rotoviz.com/2016/01/is-jimmy-graham-done/

Long odds for sure.

Perhaps Graham will be the outlier. He is a freak of nature.
I'll go with someone who posted a while back that his tear was not a complete tear like the others listed above so his situation is not the same as theirs.I think we will have our answer soon enough and the fact he is back well before Cruz ect bodes well right?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
If Graham has a good year, he should be strongly considered for the Comeback Player of the Year Award, given the serious nature of his injury.

massari

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3jz6f8cw said:
I'll go with someone who posted a while back that his tear was not a complete tear like the others listed above so his situation is not the same as theirs.I think we will have our answer soon enough and the fact he is back well before Cruz ect bodes well right?
Is there a legit source or just someone with optimism? Tried Google for a couple mins but couldn't find anything.

Ruminator

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2tbgq398 said:

I can't believe he didn't completely tear the tendon! Doesn't the team believe in finishing what you start??

idahohawk

Reaction score
Over/under on how many snaps he plays before a compensation injury flares up? (hammy, hip flexor, groin, etc)

I'll take the under.

#glasshalfempty

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'll be pleased to see Graham on the field for any snaps. Just playing a few snaps will be a victory for Jimmy, and the Hawks.

As far as all this medical info which appears singularly negative, we'll see just how he recovers. Every season players recover almost totally from ACL tears and devasting and complicated ACL mCl and carilege injuries that only a few short years ago would have been career ending. All this has occurred because of surgical advances and less invasive techniques. Every player responds differently and JG may be a quick healer or has been well managed in his recovery.

Let's wait and see we/o prejudging the outcome. Graham is not that dependent upon speed but rather using box out techniques from basketball along with his premium size.

idahohawk

Reaction score
I'm not prejudging, I'm predicting. Hoping for "better than expected" results, but preparing for worse than planned.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
idahohawk":1hkxu1o2 said:
Over/under on how many snaps he plays before a compensation injury flares up? (hammy, hip flexor, groin, etc)

I'll take the under.

#glasshalfempty

Surely you jest! :lol:

naholmes

Reaction score
idahohawk":2cf2s8an said:

I'll take the under.

#glasshalfempty
Over for a hundy

Rocket

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1r4ylw3a said:
... I smite thee.
Can ya do that again, I missed it.
Always wanted to know what smiting looked like.

I'll believe it when I see the dude get hit and jumps right up and takes his position.
Call me SkeptoRocket.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Graham at Split End.
Baldwin in the slot.
Lockett or Kearse at flanker.

Please, God, let it be so -- and no Graham in-line ever.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
massari":1hge8kke said:
IndyHawk":1hge8kke said:
Is there a legit source or just someone with optimism? Tried Google for a couple mins but couldn't find anything.
I don't remember exactly which thread I got the imfo off as there has been a few JG threads and most are pretty long
The thing is there is complete tear and partail tear and the degree/location are factors in recovery
I did look up more imfo a while back after seeing Big Sky Doc's post because I was confused about the injury
What Sky posted had me looking so I can share that post at least

The truth is, none of us know. I'm even somewhat suspicious of Dr. Luks prediction unless he evaluated and treated Graham. We simply don't have the information of the degree or the location of the tear to make any reasonable prediction of how he will recover.

Pretty sure I'm right. I am a M.D.

The Seahawks cannot cut Graham. It is against NFL rules to cut an injured player. Injury settlements can be negotiated, but they must be signed within five days of the player being placed on injured reserve. The Seahawks are stuck with Graham's contract until he is cleared to play.

-
bsd

gargantual

Reaction score
jammerhawk":191nnclc said:
Graham is not that dependent upon speed but rather using box out techniques from basketball along with his premium size.
This. Other than his jump ball, none of the doctor's listed deficiencies affect his world beating CATCHING abilities. Sure his explosiveness in YAC is a serious question, but how much was he really known for that before?

Just remember that unbelievable TD circus catch earlier in that same game he was injured. Anyone else salivating to see more of them apples?