Goodbye 12th Man

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The players started using "12's" years ago so get over it you goddam know-nothing try-hards. Jesus Christ, it's about as big of a deal as the Konz drafting. It doesn't matter. Get tf over it. Jeeeeezus.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3enik22d said:
Somewhere just recently I saw a gargantuan sign hanging in one of the other NFL stadiums, proclaiming them the "Home of the 12th Man," or something like that. I was quite weirded out by it, as it was a team that no one would really think of as a big fan-propelled team.

Seattle is hardly the only team, even hardly the only NFL team to use the "12th Man" in advertising.

Oh totally. It's far from a novel concept. Part of why I've never been super keen on Hawks fans using the term. Sports fans of all types use such terms. 12th man, 6th man, etc. These are such basic, obvious terms for fans. To think your fan base was the first or one of only a couple to think of them, give me a break.

I remember being in Buffalo's stadium. They had a sign that said "Home of the 12th man" or something to that effect. And it wasn't exactly new, either. It wasn't until the Hawks fans really ran with it and went nuts, that it was attributed to any one team. Up til then, it was just something teams called their fans.

2it1kz7

If it were up to me, we'd stop using it. And we'd sure as shit not use the silly, juvenile "12's". Call me old school. But I think "Seahawks fans" is a cool term. Heck, you can still have a 12th man flag. You have the number retired. Those things are all cool. But the whole "We are the 12th man! We are the 12s" is silly and stupid to me. Football, and sports in general, have been around a long time. Fans have used such terms most of the time. We got awesome fans. We love our team. Knowing that should be good enough. Our fans don't have to have a nickname.

But sadly I'm in the minority on this. "Yo 12's! Can a fellow 12 get a shout out on twitter?" :177692:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
If you use the word "heck" your officially not on the monicker committee. ;)

NYCoug

Reaction score
Epic stuff from SeaTown81. I agree with pretty much everything, especially that I wish we could all just be called Seahawks fans again. And especially that any person who takes a "twelfie" should have their Seahawks fandom rights stripped and they should be banished to Cleveland, at best!

Also, that dude who's suing the 'Hawks over the use of the number 12... what a lowlife! An embarassment to Seahawks fans everywhere! Did he seriously say that he was "flattered" when he heard Pete Carroll use the term "12's" during a press conference? Seriously?! That's a sign of mental illness if you ask me. This man is not living in reality. I hope the Seahawks run him through the mud and take him for everything he's got. People wouldn't be so quick to sue in this country if they stood to lose something in return. Just awful on his part. His family should be ashamed of him.

And finally, one of my new favorite things to do amongst Seahawks fans is to start the classic, drawn out "GO Seahawks" chant. That thing is deader than Olympic Stadium during the 90's. The youngin's in the crowd will quickly counter with the super fast, ADD ridden "Sea Hawks" chant that just continues to get faster and faster until everyone's rythym is off and everyone is left feeling like they just received shock therapy. I guess it's just a sign of the times, and these things happen in life and things change... but jeez, I kinda wish we were just "Seahawks fans" again and that the elongated, slow "GOOOOO SEEEAAAHAWWWWKKSSSS" chant would make a return, at some point.

Life is cyclical though, so I'm sure at some point this phenomenon (like the Ice Bucket Challenge) will die out and people will forget it's very existance.

In the end though, none of this really, truly matters. It's just fun to be an old man about it. :les:

chawx

Reaction score
How has no one mentioned that the worst thing to come out of this whole 12, 12th man, 12's phenomenon is the "We Are 12" saying...seriously. Say that in your head and think about it for a minute... "We. Are. 12."? Really? You're 12? Like, you're 12 years old? because if you're saying "We Are 12" or hashtagging it, you better actually be 12 (or under) or you look like a moron...

Uuuuuugh!

And, about the "SEA.... HAWKS" chant, I'm okay with it if we could keep it nice and on beat and not speed it up. If we, as a collective can't handle that, then lets go back to the old school "GOOOOOOOOOOOOO SEEEAAAAAHAAWWKS!" chant of the Kingdome days.

</rant>

Largent80

Reaction score
Yo...Jordan....What's up?

Seriously though, don't you think they say 12's because there are a lot of women Hawk fans that don't want to be called a man?

bellyfat

Reaction score
It's a moniker, just like 50 Cent. Keep hating pretty soon your mom will take computer rights away!!!

Cartire

Reaction score
Ive always looked at it like, as a collective, we are the 12th man. Us as individuals are 12's. 12's make up the 12th man. Kinda makes sense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
metwelve":2m05sksd said:
Seahawks.net voice of the Twelves??? Is that what the FO wants us to say?

Who cares, this is an independent site. Which is why everyone's here and not on the "official" crappy ass forum.

dusktreader

Reaction score
This is really the absolute dumbest argument I have ever seen on this forum.

Who cares what a group of fans call themselves? I'm just glad that the Seahawks are becoming a big-time team in the NFL with fans all over the place. All the nick-names and variations of it just show that a lot of people are really excited about being a fan of the team and want people to know who they support.

There's an awful lot of cane-thumping and finger-waving going on in here.

Take a step back. Having an opinion or claiming some authority on the subject will do nothing to influence what is popular, and it will do nothing to change the policy of the Organization. So, just save yourself the angst and let it go.

I love reading this forum, and contributing every once in a while, but this conversation is just immensely exhausting.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
tom sawyer":2zed2z31 said:
The first recorded use of the term "twelfth man" was a magazine published by the University of Minnesota in September, 1900, that referred to "the mysterious influence of the twelfth man on the team, the rooter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_man_(football)

ONE HUNDRED AND FOURTEEN FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO?

(rollseyes)

I am picturing one guy , like the guy from Happy Gilmore who keeps yelling " you JACKASS"

SeaTown81

Reaction score
dusktreader":d6oqg793 said:

Who cares what a group of fans call themselves? I'm just glad that the Seahawks are becoming a big-time team in the NFL with fans all over the place. All the nick-names and variations of it just show that a lot of people are really excited about being a fan of the team and want people to know who they support.

Take a step back. Having an opinion or claiming some authority on the subject will do nothing to influence what is popular, and it will do nothing to change the policy of the Organization. So, just save yourself the angst and let it go.

I love reading this forum, and contributing every once in a while, but this conversation is just immensely exhausting.

You know what's worse than any of that? Condemning people's opinions and telling them not to think a certain way. Anyone is allowed to think or feel however they feel. They're allowed to give an opinion, however pointless the topic. Nobody is forcing you to read anything. You are not the general of what people are allowed to think or care about. Get over yourself.

Escamillo

Reaction score
SeaTown81":33tno2p1 said:
Seahawk Sailor":33tno2p1 said:
Somewhere just recently I saw a gargantuan sign hanging in one of the other NFL stadiums, proclaiming them the "Home of the 12th Man," or something like that. I was quite weirded out by it, as it was a team that no one would really think of as a big fan-propelled team.

Seattle is hardly the only team, even hardly the only NFL team to use the "12th Man" in advertising.

Oh totally. It's far from a novel concept. Part of why I've never been super keen on Hawks fans using the term. Sports fans of all types use such terms. 12th man, 6th man, etc. These are such basic, obvious terms for fans. To think your fan base was the first or one of only a couple to think of them, give me a break.

I remember being in Buffalo's stadium. They had a sign that said "Home of the 12th man" or something to that effect. And it wasn't exactly new, either. It wasn't until the Hawks fans really ran with it and went nuts, that it was attributed to any one team. Up til then, it was just something teams called their fans.

2it1kz7

If it were up to me, we'd stop using it. And we'd sure as shit not use the silly, juvenile "12's". Call me old school. But I think "Seahawks fans" is a cool term. Heck, you can still have a 12th man flag. You have the number retired. Those things are all cool. But the whole "We are the 12th man! We are the 12s" is silly and stupid to me. Football, and sports in general, have been around a long time. Fans have used such terms most of the time. We got awesome fans. We love our team. Knowing that should be good enough. Our fans don't have to have a nickname.

But sadly I'm in the minority on this. "Yo 12's! Can a fellow 12 get a shout out on twitter?" :177692:

I won't call you "old school" but rather "old fuddy-duddy". :D

PDXCHawk

Reaction score
"The 12's" annoys me and I won't be saying it. "The 12th Man" is a football reference. "The 12's" means nothing. I'm a 12th Man, not a twelve.

And beyond whatever blah blah football nonsense, it just doesn't roll off the tongue right. There's worlds and phrases one likes and dislikes just like colors and flavors. I dinnae like it.

dusktreader

Reaction score
SeaTown81":gvlxi1hh said:
dusktreader":gvlxi1hh said:

You know what's worse than any of that? Condemning people's opinions and telling them not to think a certain way. Anyone is allowed to think or feel however they feel. They're allowed to give an opinion, however pointless the topic. Nobody is forcing you to read anything. You are not the general of what people are allowed to think or care about. Get over yourself.

I'll just go ahead and let the irony of your own post sink in for a while.

:snack: