Good man brand- Is the QB starting to get above his station?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":182vtxhi said:
As much as Wilson pimps the book, he seems to not pay much attention to it's principle of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. I don't blame anyone who gets pukey in the mouth over that one little bit..

Respect man. Scotte you hit the nail on the head for me. This is exactly what it is which gets to me as someone who tries to follow said teaching.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lukerguy":128gbf06 said:
It's the bare minimum required to be able to appear something that you're not. Which I think is the deeper root issue here. People aren't really sure who Russ is, and he always seems to want to appear something he's not. Just ask Doug Baldwin....

Ehh, I think instead is that people very much do think they know who he is, and more importantly, LIKE who they think is.

If that's all identity branding (i.e. the aforemented right hand and left hand) or a sincere depiction of who he is doesn't much matter, IMO.

Instead, the "problem" he has is that he has a couple business ventures (the white bread balls and the polo shirts) which introduce suspicion about about his public presentation of himself that wouldn't otherwise exist.

I think the Wilson that's visiting children's hospitals is the Wilson that everyone wants to believe in, but the Wilson who uses the same logic, words and straight face about "doing good" to co-brand white bread and launch a nakedly profit driven clothing businesses introduces questions (for some) about the child-visiting Wilson that don't otherwise exist.

In his business ventures Wilson basically falls into an uncanny valley; claiming do-gooder as a market position for what comes off as naked proto-libertarian profit-driven motives.

Basically, I think there's some mismatch or incoherency between the way Wilson goes about some of his business side ventures and who everyone likes to think he is.

With Jordan, who presented a brand identity of charismatic everyman while actually being a pretty awful person, there never really was any inconsistency in how he presented himself. There was a huge disconnect between his brand identity and who he really is, but his brand identity (nice guy apolitical corporate shill) was always very coherent.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2kir0izy said:
Wilson so carefully crafts his public image. Love him on the field, but off, I find him...simply boring. A bit fake.

I'm actually glad that he's a robot, I don't think he would have overcome the odds if he was a party animal.

Wilson will never have Marshawn's heart. But Wilson could certainly improve his self-awareness. And ask himself that WWJD question a bit more often.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Disagree on the heart. Wilson plays with as much heart as anyone I've ever seen.

Smellyman

Reaction score
austinslater25":2marcro4 said:
Disagree on the heart. Wilson plays with as much heart as anyone I've ever seen.

Yeah, kind of an odd thing to say.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wilson on the field is someone I can root for. Off the field, he is like my relatives on FB 24/7 giving false confessions to their religious tenets. Whomever is Wilson's marketing guru needs to do less of these Jimmy Johnson ED tablet commercials and pick up their game a bit.

A lot of players have hawked some bad products using their perceived wholesomeness as a lure.

I also thought Richard Sherman and his brother tried to strike when the iron was hot for some of his fame, you cannot blame him. All these guys now have some type of Tee-Shirt or hat they are hawking to make money off their fame. I get it. Just be careful you don't destroy your long-term appeal looking to turn a quick buck.

Wilson has what appears to be many good traits but he does have some head-scratching moments that I hope will fade away. If not, as long as he can look at himself in the mirror and believe he is doing what he feels is the right thing for him, well what do I know. Enjoy it while you can.

Smellyman

Reaction score
drdiags":3vacixu2 said:
Wilson on the field is someone I can root for. Off the field, he is like my relatives on FB 24/7 giving false confessions to their religious tenets. Whomever is Wilson's marketing guru needs to do less of these Jimmy Johnson ED tablet commercials and pick up their game a bit.

I feel the same.

Not something to root against, but makes you shake your head at times.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't think anyone questioned his heart?! Don't know where a few of you went off of that from?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Too many holier than thou art wearing their Jesus shoes, and throwin' stones.
He's Too Goody-Goody......He's Not Black Enough.....He Asked For Too Much Money To Sign With The Seahawks.....He Leans Too Much On His Faith, and so on, and so on.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3exiuzq4 said:
He's Too Goody-Goody......He's Not Black Enough.....He Asked For Too Much Money To Sign With The Seahawks.....He Leans Too Much On His Faith, and so on, and so on.

I haven't seen a single person in this thread make a single one of those critiques.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Subzero717":1w8mfubi said:
Tech Worlds":1w8mfubi said:
I used to wear Adidas Stan Smiths. The ones with the green sole. Pure awesomeness.

Why'd you stop? They're still awesome.
Probably could order them online but I just don't see them in the stores anymore.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":13wj2f3f said:
Subzero717":13wj2f3f said:
Tech Worlds":13wj2f3f said:
I used to wear Adidas Stan Smiths. The ones with the green sole. Pure awesomeness.

Why'd you stop? They're still awesome.
Probably could order them online but I just don't see them in the stores anymore.

Just saw them and purchased them at a Footlocker a few weeks ago. I think being awesome is making a comeback.

AVL

Reaction score
Subzero717":5jpkz0f6 said:
AVL":5jpkz0f6 said:
Buying any athletes brand seems pretty lame.

I will let everyone that has ever worn Jordans know that AVL says they are lame.

Thanks, that was my point.

Paying excessive amounts of cash to advertise to be a walking billboard for millionaires is lame, imo,oc.

I'm guilty as well, but only on the $20 hat level.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":1df9k4m3 said:
Give it some time. His brand will be found in Ross, TJ Maxx, and similar discounted department stores next season. Then if you like his stuff, stock up.

There ya go :th2thumbs: , that way, you get the best of both worlds....You get to buy the RW merchandise at a gigantic savings, and you don't have to give one damned red cent to a charity.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":wi5ibi3k said:
scutterhawk":wi5ibi3k said:

I haven't seen a single person in this thread make a single one of those critiques.

In THIS thread.
Pure bullshit pile-ons, so many layers of lame.

Ozzy

Reaction score
lukerguy":3h76qufd said:
I don't think anyone questioned his heart?! Don't know where a few of you went off of that from?

Kearly mentioned it above but to be fair that might of not been what he meant. I love Kearly just disagreed with him on that singular point.