Good man brand- Is the QB starting to get above his station?

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Russell wants to own a team someday. By the time he retires (at age 43, holding all of the QB passing and running records of course) a team will probably cost $3 billion, if not more.

Gotta save up those pennies and make as many as you can I guess!

(BTW I agree 100% that $200 shirts and $3 charity donations are complete BS. C'mon Russ, you aren't living in Entourage, that was a show dude).

lukerguy

Reaction score
$128 USD for this regular plain cotton Polo shirt which cost $2 to make:

https://thegoodmanbrand.com/collections ... 116-331-11

Even proven brands like Banana Republic and Saxs Fifth Avenue don't charge 6400% mark ups. If they were sold for reasonable prices and donated to significant margin to charity, I could see it as a good brand option...however, this just seems to get under my skin.

Don't use philanthropy as a well to make a $126 margin on a cotton T-Shirt... So now that you've donated the $3 to charity, you make $123 in profit to the Russell Wilson bank account.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1n2104ho said:
Russell wants to own a team someday. By the time he retires (at age 43, holding all of the QB passing and running records of course) a team will probably cost $3 billion, if not more.

Gotta save up those pennies and make as many as you can I guess!

(BTW I agree 100% that $200 shirts and $3 charity donations are complete BS. C'mon Russ, you aren't living in Entourage, that was a show dude).

By far the biggest athlete brand who is and ever will be is Michael Jordan. Can you imagine if he started his brand with $128 polo shirts? lol.

It just shows me he's slightly dellusional. It's partly why I love him...and why he's clutch..but he's got a distorted reality field akin to Steve Jobs.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lukerguy":3k8am6vd said:
$128 USD for this regular plain cotton Polo shirt which cost $2 to make:

https://thegoodmanbrand.com/collections ... 116-331-11

Even proven brands like Banana Republic and Saxs Fifth Avenue don't charge 6400% mark ups. If they were sold for reasonable prices and donated to significant margin to charity, I could see it as a good brand option...however, this just seems to get under my skin.

Don't use philanthropy as a well to make a $126 margin on a cotton T-Shirt... So now that you've donated the $3 to charity, you make $123 in profit to the Russell Wilson bank account.

The funniest part about that is on the "info" tab as one of the selling points they list it as "imported."

Great, dude. So you're telling me that rather than spending $2 to make your $128 white polo shirt in the U.S. you spent 40 cents to make it in Bangladesh, but it's class cuz it's "imported." :lol: :lol:

(9ers fan caveat: just for clarification, I'm talking crap in this thread because I find this all to be pretty funny, not because I actually think it's really that serious or offensive or anything :th2thumbs: )

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I call that getting swindled and pimped - shiiieeeeet, I call that getting tricked by a business

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ :lol:

Well played.

TBF, the Cam stuff on there looks equivalent (and IMO a bit better) than the Wilson stuff, and for about 25% of the price.

Out of curiosity I also read some press he did for it and find it much more agreeable, and less BS infused. He's not pretending to be saving the world with dress shirts, or to be attaching his name to dress shirts to help out people on a budget either. He basically just says it was a fun process and he likes fashion. That's the way to do it, IMO.

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashi ... view-0413/

Largent80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3lw1bml8 said:
TBF, the Cam stuff on there looks equivalent (and IMO a bit better) than the Wilson stuff, and for about 25% of the price.

It's the NO RING discount..... :lol:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bunch of hypocrites in here. Any one of you would do the exact same thing in his situation.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2y5ipcsx said:
Bunch of hypocrites in here. Any one of you would do the exact same thing in his situation.

What exactly is that?

kearly

Reaction score
Jessica Alba opened up a clothing line in 2012. Since then, the company has earned her a billion. It's just smart business for a celebrity, even a B-lister, to open up clothing lines. And Alba was hardly the first to get rich doing it. It's worth noting, neither Alba or Wilson included their names in their clothing lines.

There's no doubt that Wilson's company is targeting the upper 5% of purchasers. I don't see anything that's wrong with that personally. I don't suddenly get upset walking into a high end retail store thinking about the insane amounts of money they are making. Some people want high end stuff and are willing to pay way more for it.

Russell has never been one of the common man. Wilson may be African American, but he grew up in the rich part of town. His father attended Dartmouth and his grandfather was president of a university. So I think this clothing line actually makes a lot of sense given his background.

The "changing the world" commentary by Russell seems pretty silly given that only about 1% of proceeds go to charity. But if you look up Alba's comments on her company, she said a lot of the same things about changing the world and making people's lives better. And as far as I know she didn't donate any proceeds to charity at all. I get the sense that this type of commentary is par for the course in the clothing industry.

I don't see anything wrong here. That said, "Eat the ball" is pretty dumb.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
kearly":2n7mukuj said:
Jessica Alba opened up a clothing line in 2012. Since then, the company has earned her a billion. It's just smart business for a celebrity, even a B-lister, to open up clothing lines. And Alba was hardly the first to get rich doing it. It's worth noting, neither Alba or Wilson included their names in their clothing lines.

There's no doubt that Wilson's company is targeting the upper 5% of purchasers. I don't see anything that's wrong with that personally. I don't suddenly get upset walking into a high end retail store thinking about the insane amounts of money they are making. Some people want high end stuff and are willing to pay way more for it.

Russell has never been one of the common man. Wilson may be African American, but he grew up in the rich part of town. His father attended Dartmouth and his grandfather was president of a university. So I think this clothing line actually makes a lot of sense given his background.

The "changing the world" commentary by Russell seems pretty silly given that only about 1% of proceeds go to charity. But if you look up Alba's comments on her company, she said a lot of the same things about changing the world and making people's lives better. And as far as I know she didn't donate any proceeds to charity at all. I get the sense that this type of commentary is par for the course in the clothing industry.

I honestly have no issue with that but the name and marketing suggest philanthropy and it's very far away from that IMHO. I guess I'm disappointed because it's from a guy who I respect so much and who genuinely does much good.

What happened to pass the peace and all the other stuff like that. Is it all pure marketing?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":2op8i3ty said:

The "pitch" of Alba's company is that all of their products are chemical free and more eco-friendly than alternative products on the market. And that's all true. (rolling eyes at the common definition of "chemical" to be "chemical free" though, of course).

In addition to that they have a well-publicized list of chaities they donate a proportion of their profits to, and also are well known for paying their employees to donate time to charities on company time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as cynical as the next guy about all this ethical capitalism mumbo jumbo and her company is obviously doing all this out of their own self interest (they're trying to capture a market niche of people who will pay moderately higher prices for purchases that make them feel good about themselves for their consumer habits), but it's really incomparable to what Wilson is doing.

If Alba's company claimed that it was all about making toxin free products and just included 1% less toxins than their competitors we'd call equivalent BS.

Instead, her company is just BSing in a way that doesn't rub the BS in people's faces.

It's still, in my opinion, cynical, but not nearly as blatantly and laughably cynical as Wilson saying with a straight face that he's marketing to people on a budget and thinks his $300 Vans are going to make the world a better place, that he wants school contracts for his globe shaped white bread because it's an education tool, etc. :lol:

Latest posts