Geno Trade Value?

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
But why?

A new regime needs initial results. They do themselves no favors by wiping the slate clean and cobbling together whatever they can at QB.

They need to come out of the gate competitively enough to elicit buy-in. If we start by spinning our wheels just because we wanted some sort of symbolic fresh start, that can doom the whole thing before we actually start cookin'.

What does he add? I'd rather see something new, at least there might be upside. Geno equals mediocrity, I would rather roll with a younger qb who might start clicking and make advances. To be honest, the fact he threw 3 picks in a flag football game today is not good lol. His decision making is just not good, and once he makes a mistake he goes down a dark path.

chris98251

Reaction score
33 is not Old for a QB, it's his prime years, given he has not been abused by playing the last few years his body age is younger as well then a typical QB in the league that starts.

Parallax

Reaction score
Why does all this Geno talk feel so deja vuish? I think we could review the discussion prior to his last resigning and copy/paste about 90% of it.
Liked for "deja vuish". Really cute turn of phrase. I'm gonna steal it.

Also great if you're writing a poem and need a rhyme for Jewish.

Parallax

Reaction score
33 is not Old for a QB, it's his prime years, given he has not been abused by playing the last few years his body age is younger as well then a typical QB in the league that starts.
Reminds me of how a 37 year old Tommy John used to argue that his arm, reconstructed 13 years earlier, was just getting ready for its Bar Mitzvah.

hoxrox

Reaction score
IMO the Hawks didn’t win the game as much as the Eagles lost it. The CB that gave up the TD was in awful position at a stage of the game you had to have known the play was a deep pass
Yeah their CB was terrible in that game. But you gotta give Lock some credit for making those plays to even get to that point.

Prior to that point, his accuracy was bad though. Not on Geno's level of accuracy at all.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What does he add? I'd rather see something new, at least there might be upside. Geno equals mediocrity, I would rather roll with a younger qb who might start clicking and make advances. To be honest, the fact he threw 3 picks in a flag football game today is not good lol. His decision making is just not good, and once he makes a mistake he goes down a dark path.
1. I'm not even going to engage on the Pro Bowl thing, because holy shit, we cannot stoop to this level. We have two actual seasons of real play to evaluate.

2. I don't think a lot of people here understand how much worse quarterback play can get. What does he add? You mean besides the capability of a legitimate starting quarterback?

3. You really see no upside in a quarterback who was solidly top-10 in essentially every stat a quarterback can be top-10 in just a year ago, and was still top-20 when regressed with no running game and no defense to play off of?

You see no upside in a quarterback who put it together in the second half of the year anyway and was again playing like a top-10 quarterback to close, despite the team largely having fallen apart around him?

Why? It's almost like we're determined to NOT see any upside in the guy. The upside is almost irrefutable.

4. For a quarterback whose decision making is poor, he turns the ball over less than average and was one of the best quarterbacks in the league at avoiding sacks last year. He also has sped up his clock considerably, has gotten the ball out quicker, and has overall improved his field processing as he got more starts under his belt.

His decision making is not poor overall. He makes his fair share of mistakes, no more than most starters in the league, and everyone points to every mistake he makes as a further confirmation of preconceived notions.

Narratives are powerful. Once they take hold, everything tends to be viewed through the lens of strengthening that narrative. Human nature.

Factually, there is more upside than is being claimed here. Factually, there is significantly more risk than you think to the Madden technique of cutting everyone at a position and starting over.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
1. I'm not even going to engage on the Pro Bowl thing, because holy shit, we cannot stoop to this level. We have two actual seasons of real play to evaluate.

2. I don't think a lot of people here understand how much worse quarterback play can get. What does he add? You mean besides the capability of a legitimate starting quarterback?

3. You really see no upside in a quarterback who was solidly top-10 in essentially every stat a quarterback can be top-10 in just a year ago, and was still top-20 when regressed with no running game and no defense to play off of?

You see no upside in a quarterback who put it together in the second half of the year anyway and was again playing like a top-10 quarterback to close, despite the team largely having fallen apart around him?

Why? It's almost like we're determined to NOT see any upside in the guy. The upside is almost irrefutable.

4. For a quarterback whose decision making is poor, he turns the ball over less than average and was one of the best quarterbacks in the league at avoiding sacks last year. He also has sped up his clock considerably, has gotten the ball out quicker, and has overall improved his field processing as he got more starts under his belt.

His decision making is not poor overall. He makes his fair share of mistakes, no more than most starters in the league, and everyone points to every mistake he makes as a further confirmation of preconceived notions.

Narratives are powerful. Once they take hold, everything tends to be viewed through the lens of strengthening that narrative. Human nature.

Factually, there is more upside than is being claimed here. Factually, there is significantly more risk than you think to the Madden technique of cutting everyone at a position and starting over.
All that is based on a system, teammates, and coaches Geno was familiar with......and he was still mediocre.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I get it..... Homers think if Geno plays here one more year, he'll do well enough to stay through 2025.

It's not going to happen.

Even if Geno starts at QB this year, he'll be cut before the 2025 contract year.

Especially, if there isn't any cap or dead money hit to worry about.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I get it..... Homers think if Geno plays here one more year, he'll do well enough to stay through 2025.

It's not going to happen.

Even if Geno starts at QB this year, he'll be cut before the 2025 contract year.

Especially, if there isn't any cap or dead money hit to worry about.
That's not really what I'm going for here, but aight.

xray

Reaction score
Imo , The Hawks may find that trading Smith isn't worth it . He is a serviceable known player right now ; so I think they keep him for the short term .

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
That's not really what I'm going for here, but aight.
Are you basing Geno's career on 2022 and the Cowboy game in 2023 but ignoring the other 10 seasons?
Are you ignoring the fact that Geno couldn't win the starting job for the 7 years prior?

When I play golf with my brother, he slices 13 of his tee shots but he thinks the 2 straight drives are his normal drives.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Could probably get a mid round pick for Geno.

Not really worth it for a guy who as much as we like to bash on him, is still a top 12-15 QB in the league with a manageable salary compared to the rest of the top 15 QB's.

Just guessing, but I imagine Macdonald would like some stability at the QB next season as he's rebuilding the team in his image.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I might not be a big Geno fan, but I stick to my opinion that he would be a hell of a mentor for the QBOTF if they draft one.
He would be for sure. On both sides of the coin. How to succeed and how to not go down the dark path. He's done both.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I might not be a big Geno fan, but I stick to my opinion that he would be a hell of a mentor for the QBOTF if they draft one.
I don't want Geno anywhere near the QOTF.

He might pick up Geno's habit of being sacked 46 times for 346 yards or never calling an audible because he can't read the defense.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
QBOTF, or as I like to call it, the very real possibility of our next Dan Mcgwire.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I don't want Geno anywhere near the QOTF.

He might pick up Geno's habit of being sacked 46 times for 346 yards or never calling an audible because he can't read the defense.

Yep this never happened. 🤣

Latest posts