Geno signing multi year deal

Lagartixa

Reaction score
This was the only way to go. It's always going to be more money than you want to spend, but he's getting less money per year and for fewer years than Derek Carr ($37.5 million vs. $35 million). I'd rather have Geno than Derek Carr any day. He's getting less money than Kyler Murray and less than Dak Prescott. He's basically getting Jared Goff money ($33.5 per year). So I think it's fair, and hopefully it's structured so that there's room under the cap for other nice things.

I've been tough on JaGoff, but I have to recognize that he had a really good season with the Lions after having been below-average in 2020 and 2021 with the Rams. The Lions can save some cap space by cutting Goff this offseason, but he was good enough in 2022 to make them at least hesitate before doing that. Goff managed to quietly be a top-ten QB in 2022, and possibly even top-five.

Almost makes you wonder if McVay isn't quite the "offensive genius" the media make him out to be.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I've been tough on JaGoff, but I have to recognize that he had a really good season with the Lions after having been below-average in 2020 and 2021 with the Rams. The Lions can save some cap space by cutting Goff this offseason, but he was good enough in 2022 to make them at least hesitate before doing that. Goff managed to quietly be a top-ten QB in 2022, and possibly even top-five.

Almost makes you wonder if McVay isn't quite the "offensive genius" the media make him out to be.

Yeah McVay only took the Lions other starting QB in Stafford and won a Super Bowl with him. Oh, he also took a Goff led team to a Super Bowl too. McVay is most likely the "offensive genius" the media makes him out to be.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Apparently there's still a chance he could be suspended for 3 games for a DUI.

They're still waiting for the toxicology reports because he refused to take a breath test from when he was driving erratically, and changing lanes without signaling while going 96 MPH in a 60 zone, reeking of booze.

Should be interesting, almost as interesting to hear what his cap numbers will be.
Where are you getting your information? It's an honest question as so far as I can see, there hasn't been a word said about the subject for over a year. I hardly think that they'll just let him slide without at least some sort of an explanation.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seems a little high, but often the numbers and structure are way different than originally reported.
He had one good year, fingers and everything else crossed that he's as good or better in 2023 and 2024. I can't see him playing all 3 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're an out after 2 seasons. Let's find out the real numbers and see if they actually have any $ to build in the trenches. This team has a LOT of holes to fill.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
This is such a Great Football Story. Never giving up. Staying true to the vision. Staying true to the goal. Maybe someday someone will make a movie about Geno's Story. So very very Seahawkie ..............

smithcarrollAP

https://www.theolympian.com/sports/article272828210.html#storylink=rss

TRUE GRIT

Hawknight

Reaction score
Reading from various articles, it seems as if Seattle is loading Genos salary up year one with the option to move on from Geno if the right fit presents itself with the QB position in year 2. I wouldn't rule out a QB in the draft this April, in fact bank on it happening. Cuts and restructuring is a given, FA signings will be for cap friendly deals so any big names although available are not likely. If any year in draft history where John can wheel and deal to work his magic, this is the one draft to make it a special and memorable one for years to come. We can get our qb of the future and Defense player in 1st round..I see the two 2nd round picks where John trades down and does his wheeling and dealing to fill more holes on this team by obtaining more picks. Maybe not both 2nd rounders traded, but at least one. We tend to find gems in the later rounds and we have the draft capital to make it happen.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Imo QBs are getting paid, even the non Top 5 ones. That's a good deal for all parties. Well done.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Potentially really good deal for the Seahawks with only $40m guaranteed total but it will still depend on what those incentives are. If they are LTBE then they are required to be accounted for in the salary cap, but my guess is they are mostly NLTBE in which case this is great.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Listening to them break it down on 710, it doesn't sound NEARLY as bad as the 3 for 105 would show. Hopefully it's accurate. They are saying that it's only 40 mil guaranteed.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Looks like a reasonable deal with the new numbers coming out. Three-year contract, but could mean two-year deal with an out if necessary.

And it doesn't mean they won't draft a QB early, but I doubt it. From the FO perspective, Pete and John has two years left on their contracts. Do they think a rookie QB, no matter what potential they have, can win a SB within two years?

Their best bet is Geno right now, a proven starting caliber QB. It's best to build around him and fill the rest of the roster while they can. No guarantee Pete and Johns contract will be extended. The team could be sold in 2025 or 2026 and new owners may want to start over. The current FO doesn't really have incentive to draft a QB early unless they are in it for the long haul. I think they want to win as soon as possible.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
And here I was hoping for something in the 31-32 range. This is awesome. Incentive laden contract FTW.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, I went from thinking it was WAY too much..... to being pretty impressed. IF this is all accurate. Very fair for both sides imo.

Reactions: Rat

sutz

Reaction score
Geno knows he can't eat up too much of the 'cap. There is roster work to be done. This should allow the team some flexibility in FA and the draft. Sounds like a good deal for all.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
so 3/75m + 30m in incentives that could bring it to 3/105m. to get to that 35m a year that everybody is complaining about, he will have to be all-pro level for 3 years. and if he doesn't perform to 25m a year, they have an out to release him. cap hit is only ~15m this year, so no excuse not to make some moves in FA.

this could be a bargain. onward and upward!