FS BBK?

orca

Reaction score
Just a thought to play with... :stirthepot:

...would it make sense to convert BBK into a Free Safety? In the end he might be too small to succeed as a Linebacker in the NFL, but with his speed I could see him in a role similar to Earl, roaming the backfield and closing quickly on the ball.

What do you guys think?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
His size has never been a factor. He flat out makes plays, has a nose for the ball and led the entire nation in tackles last year. He gets the job done at LB.

sutz

Reaction score
With Poona and Reed up front to keep the OL off him, he should be fine.

People said the same thing about Tatupu back in the day. He did all right.

Besides, BBK is not limited to being MLB. He can play the OLB positions, too. He's pretty football smart.

Not sure why people keep wanting to move guys around, away from their core strengths. :Dunno:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
orca":l82jjjed said:
Just a thought to play with... :stirthepot:

...would it make sense to convert BBK into a Free Safety? In the end he might be too small to succeed as a Linebacker in the NFL, but with his speed I could see him in a role similar to Earl, roaming the backfield and closing quickly on the ball.

What do you guys think?

At a glance, BBK can't have anywhere near Earl's speed and range.

If he were a better safety candidate than LB, he'd likely already be a safety.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He is not that undersized. It not hard to imagine he can add 10 lbs with NFL strength and conditioning coaches if thats something they want him to do.

McGruff

Reaction score
When I watched UW. I assumed BBK was a strong safety. I was shocked to.find out he was a MLB.

There is no way hes a natural 230. BBK has to fight hard to be that heavy. When he is done with FB he will settle in to 200-210.

That concerns me.

But what he is is a new age linebacker-strong safety hybrid. Hes a guy you can put on the field against the Rams and he can cover and.play the flats, which is where they make their money.

McGruff

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3s9krefw said:
He is not that undersized. It not hard to imagine he can add 10 lbs with NFL strength and conditioning coaches if thats something they want him to do.

His frame is maxed. No way he can put on 10 more pounds.

Barton is a natural framed MLB. BBK aint.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Pete likes to put players in mismatches where the D can take advantage of their speed. So no way he moves to FS, he'll be a LB as long as he's a Seahawk. BBK's may be a tweener, but in Pete's schemes, that works out fine.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":36fjibdt said:
Pete likes to put players in mismatches where the D can take advantage of their speed. So no way he moves to FS, he'll be a LB as long as he's a Seahawk. BBK's may be a tweener, but in Pete's schemes, that works out fine.

How does his speed compare to Kam's?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":2zib3u7y said:

Besides, BBK is not limited to being MLB. He can play the OLB positions, too. He's pretty football smart.

Not sure why people keep wanting to move guys around, away from their core strengths. :Dunno:

I thought Tatupu lack of size was the reason he got hurt.. and you can probably say that about the Boz as well.. Boz wasn't that big a dude.. just juiced.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":yr31b5yz said:
Tusc2000":yr31b5yz said:

I would guess BBK is faster than Kam.

But Kam was a SS, not a FS.

BBK would play a similar roll, albeit from a different position.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2e5u7ilw said:
sutz":2e5u7ilw said:

I thought Tatupu lack of size was the reason he got hurt.. and you can probably say that about the Boz as well.. Boz wasn't that big a dude.. just juiced.

Boz had a similar frame to BBK. Boz was probably a natural 210.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3mose0d9 said:
Ad Hawk":3mose0d9 said:
Tusc2000":3mose0d9 said:

I would guess BBK is faster than Kam.

But Kam was a SS, not a FS.

BBK would play a similar roll, albeit from a different position.

Sorry, I was taking the thread in a different direction. But I'm curious how he'd do at SS, too.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think we will see quite a bit of both Barton and BBK as 8th men in the box, especially against the Rams.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It’s a better idea than about 5-6 years ago when many posters wanted Kam to move to LB and Earl to be our Nickel.

But no, keep him where he is.

Chapow

Reaction score
McGruff":j0gyc0zq said:
There is no way hes a natural 230. BBK has to fight hard to be that heavy. When he is done with FB he will settle in to 200-210.

McGruff":j0gyc0zq said:
His frame is maxed. No way he can put on 10 more pounds.

What makes you so sure of this? I mean, I don't know and I'm not going to pretend like I do, I'm just skeptical that you know for a 100% certainty that he couldn't possibly put on a single more pound and has to fight hard to maintain 230.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
BBK is 6'0 230lbs

Wagner 6'0 242lbs

Kendricks 5'11 240lbs

Griffin 6'0 227lbs

BBK looks strong but I don't see why he couldn't easily put on 5lbs and even 10lbs over some time. Zach Thomas came out of college 5'11 233 and was able to get up to 242. I'd say they are similar.

Attachments

• bbk1.jpg
    bbk1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 811
  • bbk2.jpg
    bbk2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 811
  • zthomas.jpg
    zthomas.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 811

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maybe he's heard "He's too small to play LB in the NFL!" enough times to have a massive chip on his shoulder.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thomas was great for the Dolphins until he lost the big men up front to protect him, he then became injury prone and took a lot of beatings, that's the size thing surfacing.

Latest posts