Final play on Offense vs Dallas

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Fans are upset at Waldron. (Right or wrong)

Former player say it was the execution and poor read by DJ Dallas.

Other player says Dallas(team) executed better.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Regardless of DJ being reactive enough:
1) why do that play giving arguably the best edge rusher in the NFL an instant free shot? He was winning every 1:1 within seconds, of course he’s getting to Geno unblocked.
2) it’s deejay dallas

I don’t even know if you can say it’s a big play if somehow 11 doesn’t destroy the play. IIRC he had a defender in his face by the time he was out of the backfield. So I guess it’s possible if he was full sprint out of the backfield and Geno had a chance to loft it over an unblocked superstar athlete.

Why not call something safer, ensure their best player is doubled or at least chipped, and get your playmakers in space like it worked all game.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
1) why do that play giving arguably the best edge rusher in the NFL an instant free shot? He was winning every 1:1 within seconds, of course he’s getting to Geno unblocked.
2) it’s deejay dallas

I don’t even know if you can say it’s a big play if somehow 11 doesn’t destroy the play. IIRC he had a defender in his face by the time he was out of the backfield. So I guess it’s possible if he was full sprint out of the backfield and Geno had a chance to loft it over an unblocked superstar athlete.

Why not call something safer, ensure their best player is doubled or at least chipped, and get your playmakers in space like it worked all game.
Yes, I am not sure. They brought up it worked vs the Rams on 4th down. Hawks had Charb catch that I believe.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think it was Waldrons fault. It just was bad execution and I can see the thought process behind it because Parson's is so fast you take advantage of his speed and use it agaisnt him.

jeremiah

Reaction score
2) it’s deejay dallas

Seattles TACKLE doubles down on the rusher , leaving one of the best sackmasters a free pass... besides, DJ Dallas was on the wrong side of the formation to come across and help.

PhxPhin

Reaction score
I think it's symptomatic of a lot of modern play callers

It's lining up look vs look, but forgetting that those aren't X vs O, it's real life players

You could have the best down field passing look, with the best WR in the most favorable defensive positioning...... But if I'm the QB, it's not going to work

At a certain point if the play call hinges on players winning matchups or doing things outside of their realistic abilities, then the chance of executing isn't high and it's best to not even call that play

It's easy to say - it was there, what about the execution

Last night, Lockett dropping one was execution - that play was there, Geno missing Fant in the last drive was execution, they would reasonably be expected to have the ability to make that play, Geno/DK missing on that inside slant earlier in the game, execution - they've worked that to success recently

Expecting Bobby to pick up Cooks and track him 1v1 through a zone when cooks is coming in at speed and Bobby is read/react - that's design, Dallas would play call to that all game if they could

Hinging your entire game on DJ Dallas and Geno operating that play under direct pressure from a beast like Parsons - I wouldn't expect much chance to execute there

It's like that one play that still haunts - if you need a mediocre blocking WR to win a physical contest against the most physical goalline DB, who happens to be a former member of your team, so your QB can take their lowest percentage and utilized type of throw to a deep depth receiver (who incidentally tripped while wide open for a big gain a couple drives earlier) - can you really expect that call to work with any decent percentage?

PhxPhin

Reaction score
Seattles TACKLE doubles down on the rusher , leaving one of the best sackmasters a free pass... besides, DJ Dallas was on the wrong side of the formation to come across and help.
Apparently that's the thing, he wasn't supposed to help - he was supposed to come across the QB to appear that he was the help, but slip into an open pocket of space where Geno could have a throwing lane to dump it off

It's just that Parsons team through everyone and DJ ended up in traffic and not in space

hoxrox

Reaction score
KJ said the play came straight from McVay's playbook. They just blocked it wrong.

PhxPhin

Reaction score
KJ said the play came straight from McVay's playbook. They just blocked it wrong.
Against Parson and Lawrence overloading that side against a banged up/old OL and DJ Dallas at the lone back, did they really have a lot of expectation to block it right??

Does that play go to the strength of your matchups or to Dallas?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Against Parson and Lawrence overloading that side against a banged up/old OL and DJ Dallas at the lone back, did they really have a lot of expectation to block it right??

Does that play go to the strength of your matchups or to Dallas?
Yeah bad play call, bad execution. Both things can be true at once.

mistaowen

Reaction score
From every overview I’ve seen that is the play design. RT pinches in to let the edge rusher overcommit and hope no one carries the RB out of the backfield for a wide open dump off. The WR alignment clears out that area of the field and it’s up to the LB covering DJ to run across the whole LOS. They just happened to do it against a top 3 DL who blew the play up within seconds and DJ didnt get out of the backfield fast enough.

Depressingly, if they actually did block Parsons for a second longer DK was open.

PhxPhin

Reaction score
Yeah bad play call, bad execution. Both things can be true at once.
This I agree with. It's not always an "is or" thing.

I just think sometimes it's forgotten that players actually play and you need to account for their attributes, abilities and matchup - today is, imo, just as important as the on paper design vs look

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Dj was not supposed to help.

cymatica

Reaction score
Relying on Dallas to execute perfectly when the game is on the line is like relying on a backup wr/gunner to execute the game winning catch in the Superbowl

knownone

Reaction score
This seems to be another one of many unfortunate outcomes caused by injury. Charbonnet had a lot of success on these plays during the game. He was fairly decisive in getting to his spot, seemingly knowing that timing was crucial. Unfortunately, he was injured. And DeeJay looked lost on several of his snaps.

Latest posts