FB Options now?

drdiags

Reaction score
I will defer to bmorepunk on this. Just was thinking what if he didn't want to come back to this side of the country. I know that a few 9ers PS players turned down opportunities to go to an active 53, but it was late in the year. I know folks try sweetening the pot to keep folks on their PS.

Yeah, my recall sucks. I thought Philly from reading about his travels back during training camp.

Largent80

Reaction score
slargent4ever":18v80f57 said:
Anyone know what John L williams is up to these days?

He raised the 12th man flag here in Culver City before the Bronco game. How in the hell did we ever beat them with this team?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We should convert Mebane into a FB....Cinci does it with Peko.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":19tg5pxo said:
Is Owen Schmitt still around?

Last time I saw him was in 2012 with Gregg Knapp and the Raiders. He just didn't provide enough lateral reaction and quickness to make reliable NFL blocks ..... even on special teams. In fact in the end, opponents just by passed him like he wasn't even on the field. His NFL days are likely over.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Small was activated to Cleveland's roster today. He will remain there for at least 3 weeks.

Have to look elsewhere for FB talent.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3b3pvkrm said:
I wonder what the salary difference is between PS and a rookie guy like Small?

Rookies make around $25,000 per week if they are on a minimum salary whereas practice squad players only make about $6,500 per week. If a team wants a practice squad player bad enough, they can pay them more, but they will generally get a substantial raise by moving to a regular roster. Also, practice squad players have no guarantee, but if signed from another team's practice squad, a player must stay on the next teams roster for 3 game checks. Those three game checks are about 75% of an entire season on the practice squad on average.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2j0jvpqi said:
Small was activated to Cleveland's roster today. He will remain there for at least 3 weeks.

Have to look elsewhere for FB talent.

He doesn't have to remain on Cleveland's roster for 3 weeks. That rule is only for players when they are signed from one team's practice squad to another team. Similarly, we signed Terrell from the practice squad for the Dallas game, and then released him the next day.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Jville":30j5oos2 said:
hawkfan68":30j5oos2 said:
Is Owen Schmitt still around?

Last time I saw him was in 2012 with Gregg Knapp and the Raiders. He just didn't provide enough lateral reaction and quickness to make reliable NFL blocks ..... even on special teams. In fact in the end, opponents just by passed him like he wasn't even on the field. His NFL days are likely over.

Ugh! Just the mention of Gregg Knapp sours my stomach. :pukeface:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
CaptBennett":f0bicgx0 said:
Go grab Mike Rob. Haha

Makes you wonder with Mike Rob in the locker room (AND his camera) maybe the Percy cancer would have been contained a little bit better. The Marshawn unhappiness as well.

I think there are a lot of intangibles such as leadership that were lost with Mike Rob and Red.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Not necessarily advocating for this, but they experimented with Phil Bates at FB. I believe Spencer Ware is still a FA (Though they were working him back to a RB before he got cut). Also got a second DUI in September, but the charges for the first one were dropped.

Not a lot of options out there, so they may roll with Turbin.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
wasn't the deal with mcclain that he wanted touches and wasn't happy just being a pure blocker?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1u7nbcw3 said:
wasn't the deal with mcclain that he wanted touches and wasn't happy just being a pure blocker?

Could be. The only thing I could find on his release from the Chargers was that he didn't fit what they were trying to do offensively in SD. I think it has to do with Mike McCoy and the offense he runs.