Fast forward to 2013... Do we fully unleash Russell Wilson?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Running the ball is tremendously valuable to us in terms of wearing down opponents and keeping defenses guessing. The only teams that can sustain 70%-30% pass-run ratios are teams with hyper-accurate, lightning-fast-diagnosing, veteran-defense-reading, perfectly-in-sync-with-receivers QB's like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning, and those teams aren't immune to defeat either.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1r0a8aic said:
Or maybe even fast forward to the playoffs.....

Don't get me wrong, I am quite fine with scoring 28 points a game, and making the most out of our redzone possessions. But is there a point this year, or next year, where Bevell's just gonna let Russ go and throw it all over the place? He kinda did in the Pats game, but that was probably due to Lynch's ineffectiveness. When are we gonna fully unleash Russell Wilson? Because the only performance I've really failed to see from Russell is one with a lot of passing yards, and I'm very curious to see if he can do it.

Or is it likely this is the only thing Wilson can have success with, a ground and pound attack 24/7?

Two passing touchdowns in less than 200 yards of passing is a GOOD problem to have with your rookie quarterback. It means you are efficiently moving the football and likely chewing up lots of clock with a running game. You won't rack up a lot of yardage when you eat up 7-10 minutes of game clock on a successful touchdown drive.

The most important stat for a rookie quarterback, in my opinion, is passing touchdowns. The second most important is the touchdown to interception ratio. Our rookie quarterback excels in both statistics and has placed us in position to have a shot at winning every single game we've played this season.

When will we fully unleash him? What does this mean, exactly? We are letting the kid uncork 50 yard bombs that would make most coaches cringe with someone else at the position. We are calling naked bootlegs to utilize his athleticism for cheap easy yards. What else does he have to show us, other than consistent, rapidly improving performance? Are you suggesting that we abandon our highly successful running game so that Russell can dink and dunk down the field, throwing 35-40 times a game?

Ignoring the fact that Russell Wilson is a rising star in this league, what we have right now is a team that is built to run the ball down the throat of any team in the NFL. Running the football successfully paves the way for play action. Play action paves the way for third and fourth quarter TD bombs which look awesome on the highlight reel. Nothing opens up the deep field like fear of a runner like Marshawn Lynch, and an O-Line which can help him grind it out.

Let me ask you this. Which would you rather watch, a Seahawks team that slowly, methodically moves the ball downfield to score via the pass but gets beat up by physical teams in the run game, or a Seahawks team that beats the living crap out of the other team, delivering the knockout punch in the fourth quarter, in true highlight reel fashion? The way our offense is built is a testament to the attitude that Carroll and Schneider have instilled in this team. We make teams want to run home to mommy with big linemen, big corners, a big running back, and this midget QB who can throw a deep ball like precious few others have. Truly, Russel's deep accuracy is a gift from the football gods.

Would you compromise this team's identity just to see him throw the ball more?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":y5z0f09e said:
hawksfan515":y5z0f09e said:
Or maybe even fast forward to the playoffs.....

Don't get me wrong, I am quite fine with scoring 28 points a game, and making the most out of our redzone possessions. But is there a point this year, or next year, where Bevell's just gonna let Russ go and throw it all over the place? He kinda did in the Pats game, but that was probably due to Lynch's ineffectiveness. When are we gonna fully unleash Russell Wilson? Because the only performance I've really failed to see from Russell is one with a lot of passing yards, and I'm very curious to see if he can do it.

Or is it likely this is the only thing Wilson can have success with, a ground and pound attack 24/7?

Two passing touchdowns in less than 200 yards of passing is a GOOD problem to have with your rookie quarterback. It means you are efficiently moving the football and likely chewing up lots of clock with a running game. You won't rack up a lot of yardage when you eat up 7-10 minutes of game clock on a successful touchdown drive.

The most important stat for a rookie quarterback, in my opinion, is passing touchdowns. The second most important is the touchdown to interception ratio. Our rookie quarterback excels in both statistics and has placed us in position to have a shot at winning every single game we've played this season.

When will we fully unleash him? What does this mean, exactly? We are letting the kid uncork 50 yard bombs that would make most coaches cringe with someone else at the position. We are calling naked bootlegs to utilize his athleticism for cheap easy yards. What else does he have to show us, other than consistent, rapidly improving performance? Are you suggesting that we abandon our highly successful running game so that Russell can dink and dunk down the field, throwing 35-40 times a game?

Ignoring the fact that Russell Wilson is a rising star in this league, what we have right now is a team that is built to run the ball down the throat of any team in the NFL. Running the football successfully paves the way for play action. Play action paves the way for third and fourth quarter TD bombs which look awesome on the highlight reel. Nothing opens up the deep field like fear of a runner like Marshawn Lynch, and an O-Line which can help him grind it out.

Let me ask you this. Which would you rather watch, a Seahawks team that slowly, methodically moves the ball downfield to score via the pass but gets beat up by physical teams in the run game, or a Seahawks team that beats the living crap out of the other team, delivering the knockout punch in the fourth quarter, in true highlight reel fashion? The way our offense is built is a testament to the attitude that Carroll and Schneider have instilled in this team. We make teams want to run home to mommy with big linemen, big corners, a big running back, and this midget QB who can throw a deep ball like precious few others have. Truly, Russel's deep accuracy is a gift from the football gods.

Would you compromise this team's identity just to see him throw the ball more?

good stuff.. To be quite honest, the design is for him to throw for 225 yards a game. That Flea Flicker if complete would have given us 225+ yards and 3 TD's. They are taking the shots, In the Viking there was a 15+ yard pass that Wilson just overthrew Baldwin on. They have it setup for him to pass 30 times assuming they can sustain drives. That's all we really need. (He's averaging 25 passes a game this year despite some wildly inconsistent games. The most drives you sustain the more attempts you can make.) I think as we see the efficiency improve we'll see more throws.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":kgnc35l6 said:
kearly":kgnc35l6 said:
I think Wilson is fully unleashed right now. He's providing scoring on an incredibly efficient basis. His TD per pass attempt rate is one of the higher marks in the league.

Wilson is a natural born point guard at QB. Part of that profile means that he exists to makes his teammates (read: running game) better. Those kinds of QBs aren't about stealing the show and posting 500 yard games. If you take that kind of QB out of a run centric environment, he typically suffers. We saw this with UW in September when Keith Price suffered from the slow start of Bishop Sankey.

That plus Pete Carroll does not care about yards or even scoring- all he cares about is winning. To him, a 3-0 win is just as good as a 63-0 win. He wants to control the game, because if the Seahawks control the game on both sides of the ball they usually win. Wilson is providing value by being consistent and keeping the offense under control. It would be a disservice to call him a game manager, because game managers typically aren't playmakers and Wilson is a playmaker, but it is a similar situation in that Wilson's real role is to be the manager of the offense.

We need a new word for what Wilson is. Something like chessmaster or Grand Vizier.

He's like a wizard with some of his magical escapability and playmaking. So maybe we could call him Grand Wizard or something like that.

What? :|