Fan Reflection - Bobby vs RW

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Selected in the third round (75th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft.

I know RW (statistically) is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time but he is undeniable limited. We all know it and yes he overcame his limitations with unbelievable speed and accuracy. His ability to get out of trouble and make something out of nothing. Superb. But his height will always be an issue, you can't deny the missed opportunities? Wide open receivers left unseen. Not to mention holding on the damn ball too long while trying to be a pocket passer. Height doesn't generally change much with age but speed sure does.

With the focus on defense and creating LOB we had a subpar offensive line and RW was the perfect fit to achieve our dream, the super bowl. A evasive, tough QB able to throw a accurate long ball when needed that can take a hit.

Selected in the second round (47th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Bobby Wagner is far and away one of the most underrated players in the NFL when it comes to fan recognition.

Without any hesitation I easily place our all time tackle leader Bobby Wagner above RW in my list of Seahawk greats. His steadfast ability to lead the defense and be everywhere at once will be sorely missed. I'm a big Tatupu fan and never believed we'd have another player similar to him but Bobby was.

toffee

Reaction score
I appreciate Bobby, he is an all time great, he contributed to the success of the Hawks in many different ways. Russ was like that girl friend who was very pretty, super exciting, the longer you hanged on to her, to more buds that you used to have distanced from you, until she dumps you. Metcalf summarized it the best, he learned from Bobby, he swam and had phone calls from Russ.

In terms of football, looking back 20 years from now, I won't be surprised Bobby ranked as high as Russ.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I'm a lot more saddened by Bobby leaving than Russ.

As a soft spoken leader who didnt seek publicity, I hope he receives the recognition he deserves. I understand that the team is re-building and I'm excited to see what will transpire but the flip side was cutting Wagz. He along with Tyler are my favorite players. I wish him the best, but it'll be difficult to see him in another uniform.

I'm hoping that my other favorite player Lockett will still be here when the dust settles....

Throwdown

Reaction score
Bobby should be considered the greatest hawk of all time.

Give the man his dues

Hawknight

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":sw8o7zpo said:
I'm a lot more saddened by Bobby leaving than Russ.

As a soft spoken leader who didnt seek publicity, I hope he receives the recognition he deserves. I understand that the team is re-building and I'm excited to see what will transpire but the flip side was cutting Wagz. He along with Tyler are my favorite players. I wish him the best, but it'll be difficult to see him in another uniform.

I'm hoping that my other favorite player Lockett will still be here when the dust settles....

I too miss Bobby more than Russ.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":23o0qybs said:
Bobby should be considered the greatest hawk of all time.

Give the man his dues

I'd put him alongside Big Walt for co-honors.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Both Wilson and Wagner had huge impacts for the teams success. Both of their contributions will be recognized. Wagner at one time may have been the best linebacker in the game.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
sprhawk73":2e3ob4eq said:

I know RW (statistically) is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time but he is undeniable limited. We all know it and yes he overcame his limitations with unbelievable speed and accuracy. His ability to get out of trouble and make something out of nothing. Superb. But his height will always be an issue, you can't deny the missed opportunities? Wide open receivers left unseen. Not to mention holding on the damn ball too long while trying to be a pocket passer. Height doesn't generally change much with age but speed sure does.

With the focus on defense and creating LOB we had a subpar offensive line and RW was the perfect fit to achieve our dream, the super bowl. A evasive, tough QB able to throw a accurate long ball when needed that can take a hit.

Selected in the second round (47th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Bobby Wagner is far and away one of the most underrated players in the NFL when it comes to fan recognition.

Without any hesitation I easily place our all time tackle leader Bobby Wagner above RW in my list of Seahawk greats. His steadfast ability to lead the defense and be everywhere at once will be sorely missed. I'm a big Tatupu fan and never believed we'd have another player similar to him but Bobby was.

Nah completely wrong the year we won the Super Bowl it was Kam Sherman ET this is what made the difference as for Russ & Lynch we would've never made the Super Bowl with out them we would've never made it pass the 49ner's in that Championship game remember we wouldn't have an offense.

Has Russ ever had a QB coach teaching him how to read the Defense? His raw talent is what won those games I have no idea of why people keep saying his height Brees is only an inch taller hell he could put on cleats that would make that up.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
onepicknick1":2ha8e3ap said:
Nah... completely wrong the year we won the Super Bowl. It was Kam. Sherman, ET, this is what made the difference! As for Russ & Lynch we would've never made the Super Bowl. With out them, we would've never made it. Pass the 49ner's in that Championship game! Remember, we wouldn't have an offense.

There should be more than one period in this paragraph, and other punctuation and capital letters, it seems.

I've tired to fix it above... did I get it right?

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2on85b7o said:
onepicknick1":2on85b7o said:
Nah... completely wrong the year we won the Super Bowl. It was Kam. Sherman, ET, this is what made the difference! As for Russ & Lynch we would've never made the Super Bowl. With out them, we would've never made it. Pass the 49ner's in that Championship game! Remember, we wouldn't have an offense.

There should be more than one period in this paragraph, and other punctuation and capital letters, it seems.

I've tired to fix it above... did I get it right?

There is a couple of mistakes in your corrections you might want to go back over it.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Bobby and Walt are the two most decorated Seahawks of all-time. Multiple first team all-pros, all -decade team, spent extended periods of time as the best in the world at their job.

No knock on Russ, but he just isn't a comparative calibre of player to those two. Even if you give him a bump for positional value.

getnasty

Reaction score
I hate that Wagner isn't getting his proper send off with the Wilson trade taking center stage right now.

I wish one the best in the future and hope the other fails miserably.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I think it speaks volumes that .com has almost zero coverage of Wilson leaving but has a deserved amount on Wagner.

Throwdown

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":36a6dhz1 said:
I think it speaks volumes that .com has almost zero coverage of Wilson leaving but has a deserved amount on Wagner.

Trade isn’t yet official, come start of the league year you’ll see stuff

Hyak

Reaction score
It isn't and shouldn't be one vs the other. Both guys were great, HOF level players for the team. The both forged great legacies here on and off the field. Both will be in the ring of honor and HOF.

The big difference, obviously, is that a QB is far more important than a LB and that's why one guy was traded for a bunch of picks and some players and the other guy was released. Now, Wilson is going to get the vitrol from fans and local media simply because he clearly wanted out and the last 2 years have been drama filled whereas prior he was the model company guy. The reeling in of "Let Russ Cook" was it for him IMO but likely it was it for Pete and John as well. And neither side was completely right or completely wrong.

As for the team success, the SB teams had it all - dominant defense with elite talent at each level, Lynch, Russ, Baldwin, etc. Still, it goes without saying that the team didn't make the jump into legit SB contender until they got a QB. As much as the LOB and Lynch were awesome, they were winning 7 games a year.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
sprhawk73":1xacrww9 said:

I know RW (statistically) is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time but he is undeniable limited. We all know it and yes he overcame his limitations with unbelievable speed and accuracy. His ability to get out of trouble and make something out of nothing. Superb. But his height will always be an issue, you can't deny the missed opportunities? Wide open receivers left unseen. Not to mention holding on the damn ball too long while trying to be a pocket passer. .

Sadly, this reflects a lot of sentiment and myopia on this board. Sure, we'll just go out and grab another HOF QB in his prime, who will win multiple rings while suffering through a continually horrible O-line that couldn't protect him, and a game plan that typically focused on running the ball up the gut.

And oh yeah -- he was too short to play QB!

In a few years, after multiple 4-13 seasons, I predict many will acknowledge that trading Russ was one of the worst decisions in history, a trade that was beyond stupid. Our next playoff appearance will be in the next decade.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
[tweet][/tweet]
Throwdown":21rd9khm said:
MD5eahawks":21rd9khm said:

Trade isn’t yet official, come start of the league year you’ll see stuff
I agree to point. But there is absolutely zero content on this. I wouldn't think it had to be official for there to be some kind of acknowledgement that the team is actively involved in the biggest trade the NFL has seen in decades. He is only the best QB this franchise has ever had.

EDIT: Now that it's official, I see what you mean. Kind of a crazy rule. Teams can't put it on their sites until it is official, yet everybody and their grandmother talks about it in the mean time.

Chapow

Reaction score
Tusc2000":33doyerw said:
In a few years, after multiple 4-13 seasons, I predict many will acknowledge that trading Russ was one of the worst decisions in history, a trade that was beyond stupid.

Maybe, but that would be ignoring many factors regarding why they traded Russ.

1. Russ is only under contract for 2 more years. How likely were we to get to or win a Super Bowl in the next 2 years? IMO, very, very unlikely. I don't think we were/are Super Bowl contenders with or without Russ.

2. It seems pretty clear Russ didn't want to be here anymore. If that's true, then he probably wouldn't have signed with us again. So we would be losing him in 2 years anyway, but getting nothing in return vs losing him now, but getting a lot in return.

3. Even if he did agree to sign with us again (and I don't think he would have) it would be at enormous cost. At this point, it's looking like probably 50mil+ per year. Would a declining QB in his mid 30's, on a team that isn't a Super Bowl contender be worth that cost? I don't think so.

It's probably going to suck for awhile. Maybe even a long while. I'm still not sure if trading Russ was a good move or not, but I understand why they did it.

Latest posts