Falcons at Saints - Week 10

SeaWolv

Reaction score
FOGHORN":9tjld241 said:
While you're cherry picking you should re watch the Falcons vs Giants game.

I've been looking for something to help me feel good about this game because the Falcons look scary on paper with regards to their passing game. After this breakdown of the Saints game it dawned on me that that the Hawks don't need to stop Matt Ryan from throwing the ball they just need to have a 180 - 200 rushing yards or more to beat the Falcons. So I looked at the Panthers game, similar scenario Ryan threw for 327 and a couple of TD's but the Panthers had 195 yds rushing. If the Hawks can keep Ryan from throwing more than 430 yds and 2 - 3 TD's they should win this game. Considering the Hawks D is superior to the Saints or the Panthers this shouldn't be a problem. Conversely the Giants only put up 97 yds rushing and we saw what happened there.

Falcan Moore

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2mca9mlh said:
FOGHORN":2mca9mlh said:

I've been looking for something to help me feel good about this game because the Falcons look scary on paper with regards to their passing game. After this breakdown of the Saints game it dawned on me that that the Hawks don't need to stop Matt Ryan from throwing the ball they just need to have a 180 - 200 rushing yards or more to beat the Falcons. So I looked at the Panthers game, similar scenario Ryan threw for 327 and a couple of TD's but the Panthers had 195 yds rushing. If the Hawks can keep Ryan from throwing more than 430 yds and 2 - 3 TD's they should win this game. Considering the Hawks D is superior to the Saints or the Panthers this shouldn't be a problem. Conversely the Giants only put up 97 yds rushing and we saw what happened there.
Decent way of looking at it, yeah. Our offense relies on getting up early, forcing the other offense to pass, since we excel at defending that. If you're able to run it and have long drives while keeping Ryan off the field, we're toast...thankfully, Ryan is worse against elite D-Lines, and actually very good against elite corners. The thing is, he has to have time to throw it, and he can put it almost anywhere if that's the case. Pressure him, especially with interior pass rush, and we won't stand a chance.

Torris

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1xrprq2y said:
When I look ahead to Sunday's divisional round contest.. this is the game (along with their loss to Carolina) that I think the Seahawks will study in great detail. First of all, it was the Falcons first loss of the season. And when you're looking at a 13-3 team, the film on how to beat this team is going to be pretty scarce .. so there are those obvious reasons.. but when you crack open the box score of this game.. here's what jumps out at you.

Matt Ryan - 34/52, 411 yards passing, 3 TD, INT
Tony Gonzalez - 11 receptions, 122 yards, 2 TD
Roddy White - 7 receptions, 114 yards
Julio Jones - 4 receptions, 75 yards
Harry Douglas - 4 receptions, 49 yards

That's a whole lot of production right there.. and the Saints still carried an 11 point lead going into the 4th quarter with a historically bad defense. But when you look at the real x-factor in this game.. and something we do ESPECIALLY well.. check out the rushing stats of this game folks, keep in mind.. we're talking about the Saints here.. who are never known for their rushing offense OR defense.

Falcons team rushing yards: 46
Saints team rushing yards: 148

Falcons leading rushers:
Rodgers 3-29
Turner 13-15

Saints leading rushers:
Ivory 7-72-TD (long of 56)
Ingram 16-67
Thomas 5-10

Now.. maybe I'm being biased.. but I think Marshawn Lynch is better than Chris Ivory, Mark Ingram and Pierre Thomas COMBINED. Roll in the wild card we now have with Russell Wilson running a read option and I think it's pretty apparent that as long as we run the ball with solid efficiency .. we can still win this game even if Matt Ryan goes completely nuts in the passing department. Especially when you see a 3:1 ratio in pass/run plays

If the Seahawks are studying that game to try and figure out how to beat us, then they might as well forfeit.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Falcan Moore":h9df9t6a said:
SeaWolv":h9df9t6a said:
FOGHORN":h9df9t6a said:

Decent way of looking at it, yeah. Our offense relies on getting up early, forcing the other offense to pass, since we excel at defending that. If you're able to run it and have long drives while keeping Ryan off the field, we're toast...thankfully, Ryan is worse against elite D-Lines, and actually very good against elite corners. The thing is, he has to have time to throw it, and he can put it almost anywhere if that's the case. Pressure him, especially with interior pass rush, and we won't stand a chance.

I agree the Hawks need to get up early and force the Falcons to abandon their game plan. Forcing them to throw seems irrelevant since that's really the only thing they can do since their run game is anemic. I think if the Hawks get 200 yds rushing and 200 yds passing they win and they're totally capable of doing that against the Falcons.