Excess Calls Unwatchable

hawk45

Reaction score
Hate gift spot fouls also but wouldn't a DB getting beat on any pass over 15 yards just knock the receiver down then? Man those old pre LOB defenses that couldn't stop the big play would have really benefitted from something like that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jville":3ihkmfr4 said:
........In it's current format, I think it is most useful for generating numbers and excitement for fantasy football and Madden............
IMO, this is the source of most of the issues we see with the game. "Offense, offense and more offense is a good thing" is what MLB also thought which gave rise to the steroid era of the 90s. If the NFL isn't careful, they'll experience a loss of fan interest much like baseball did due to the way too heavy emphasis on scoring though the circumstances will likely be different. The root of the circumstance will be the same however.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawk45":btcu0ocw said:
Hate gift spot fouls also but wouldn't a DB getting beat on any pass over 15 yards just knock the receiver down then? Man those old pre LOB defenses that couldn't stop the big play would have really benefitted from something like that.
I agree and I hate the spot foul but it's a catch 22 because like you said if a DB is beat they will just tackle the guy and take the penalty vs the huge gain and or TD.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2a708uht said:
hawk45":2a708uht said:
I agree and I hate the spot foul but it's a catch 22 because like you said if a DB is beat they will just tackle the guy and take the penalty vs the huge gain and or TD.

I agree that you would see more PI, but I dont think it would be that bad. College currently does 15, and that doesnt stop explosive plays from happening all the time. If a DB is beat badly, chances are he wont be able to interfere regardless to stop the play from happening anyway. If hes not beat as badly, he has to make the calculated effort of interfering, knowing that hes still giving up 15 yards and an automatic first down. Thats still a big chuck. He's going to want to make a clean deflection or breakup. Let DB's do it on third down. Wont be smart.

Sure, it would be done a tad more, but I think that its worth the issues of these extreme spot fouls where a WR would not have necessarily caught it anyway. Getting 50 yard penalty chucks on the possibility of a WR catch is pretty dumb.

hawk45

Reaction score
Cartire":2gbj0n5x said:
Sports Hernia":2gbj0n5x said:
hawk45":2gbj0n5x said:

I agree that you would see more PI, but I dont think it would be that bad. College currently does 15, and that doesnt stop explosive plays from happening all the time. If a DB is beat badly, chances are he wont be able to interfere regardless to stop the play from happening anyway. If hes not beat as badly, he has to make the calculated effort of interfering, knowing that hes still giving up 15 yards and an automatic first down. Thats still a big chuck. He's going to want to make a clean deflection or breakup. Let DB's do it on third down. Wont be smart.

Sure, it would be done a tad more, but I think that its worth the issues of these extreme spot fouls where a WR would not have necessarily caught it anyway. Getting 50 yard penalty chucks on the possibility of a WR catch is pretty dumb.

Except that it would make the most sense for DBS to do it at pivotal spots in the game with time running out in the fourth and limited offensive downs remaining.

And the DB doesn't have to be beat badly , they can be going up against Calvin Johnson and realize the guy can make the catch over them, why not hack-a-shaq?

Cartire

Reaction score
hawk45":1b6mz7iv said:
Cartire":1b6mz7iv said:
Sports Hernia":1b6mz7iv said:
hawk45":1b6mz7iv said:

Except that it would make the most sense for DBS to do it at pivotal spots in the game with time running out in the fourth and limited offensive downs remaining.

And the DB doesn't have to be beat badly , they can be going up against Calvin Johnson and realize the guy can make the catch over them, why not hack-a-shaq?

But it's still 15, a first, and clock stoppage.

You're talking about a guarunteed 1st and 15 yard penalty versus a maybe catch. It will be calculated. Just like it is now already. Offenses won't be complaining over it. Let a DB march an offense down the field because they think it's ok to constantly give up 15. It's not gonna happen that much more.

Latest posts