ESPN highlights Seahawk weaknesses

oldschlhwkfn

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/videohub/video/clip? ... id=2378529

I agree with Schlereth to a point, last year our pass rush struggled at times which was evident during
the Atlanta game but with the additions of Avril and Bennett and when Irivn and Clemons return I have feeling
our pass rush could be top five. As for maturity, Carter points out winning on the road as a barometer for that.
We had some great road wins last season and some horrible losses. But I think the Hawks have turned the
corner on our road woes and will surprise a lot of folks this year.

A

Anonymous

Carter also points out the talk.

Gotta agree that sometimes the guys let a few questionable things out of their mouths. But interestingly, even Sherman won't take the bait in the last few weeks. The quiet is actually quite refreshing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our pass rush was either really good or completely anemic for most of the year. Considering how great our defense was overall, especially with our secondary delaying passes like crazy, our pass rush is definitely a weak spot. Hopefully, it's improved for 2013 by more than a small margin.

Schlereth is 100% correct, in my opinion.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Until we prove them wrong, our pass rush is DEFINITELY our primary weakness. I recently read a post where somebody claimed we addressed our biggest deficiency from last year when we added Winfield at nickel.

No Way.

Our biggest deficiency was our pass rush and we made steps to improve that, but until it gels within our new defensive system, and until Irvin returns from suspension and until Clemons turns up healthy... I will remain concerned, but hopeful.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":f4dsm95q said:

Gotta agree that sometimes the guys let a few questionable things out of their mouths. But interestingly, even Sherman won't take the bait in the last few weeks. The quiet is actually quite refreshing.

I surmise this is intensity and focus as the season is getting ready to start. Most of Sherman's really over the top comments have been made in the offseason when he's either trying to stay in the limelight, or just being bored.

I agree with BFS on the pass rush. Sure, it's our biggest weakness (on defense), but with all the proven pass rushers we've added, it should improve our pass rush. It's not like we're relying on unproven rookies; these are all guys that have produced at an NFL level. Our coaches have also shown they can scheme to players' strengths, so I'm not really worried about us improperly utilizing Bennett or Avril.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Screw them, we are bulletproof! :twisted:

All kidding aside, the proof is in the pudding with the pass rush. I am really hoping we have Clemons back for the opener, because no Clemons + no Irvin for at least the first 4 games is not good.

We have made some moves, but moves don't count until the games start in September. "On Paper" strength means squat.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":14h1arvf said:

I don't see what "talk" has to do with play. They are two separate things.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Actually, I'm not worried about it. Bennett and Avril should step it up and produce.

Look at it this way: we had 24 sacks outside of the GB game, which is far less than 2 a game. So if we only get one sack a game in the opening few games, it's not like our defense would be hurt or worse off. Teams like the Giants would shrivel from that lack of pass rush, but I guess I would say we're kind of used to it.

I'm more worried about our run defense and containing Kaepernick and Newton in the first two games.

drdiags

Reaction score
One big unknown is Quinn at DC.

He and Pete both are trumpeting his aggressive nature, which seems like it should fit well with the defensive talent, but him as a DC for the Seahawks is an unknown. He could have some fatal tendencies when faced with various scenarios? That along with trying to generate a pass rush, as well as unknown backup LBs becoming more prominent in the base defense or DE/Leos filling in an LB role leaves potential for weaknesses to pop-up.

Subzero717

Reaction score
When the head coach says what the biggest area of need is after the season is over, it doesn't take a rovket surgeon to figure it out. The slot CB position was right behind it.

Subzero717

Reaction score
When the head coach says what the biggest area of need is after the season is over, it doesn't take a rovket surgeon to figure it out. The slot CB position was right behind it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":6hehru7f said:
I recently read a post where somebody claimed we addressed our biggest deficiency from last year when we added Winfield at nickel.

No Way.

Our biggest deficiency was our pass rush and we made steps to improve that, but until it gels within our new defensive system, and until Irvin returns from suspension and until Clemons turns up healthy... I will remain concerned, but hopeful.

Well, our biggest deficiency at one specific position was fixed with Winfield. Pass rush is from several different positions, or even half the defense on some plays.

Largent80

Reaction score
I agree that Winfield will help a lot, but if you watched any games last year it was SO evident the pass rush was inconsistent.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
drdiags":19u4e9oh said:

He and Pete both are trumpeting his aggressive nature, which seems like it should fit well with the defensive talent, but him as a DC for the Seahawks is an unknown. He could have some fatal tendencies when faced with various scenarios? That along with trying to generate a pass rush, as well as unknown backup LBs becoming more prominent in the base defense or DE/Leos filling in an LB role leaves potential for weaknesses to pop-up.

This sums it up pretty well, I'd like to believe that we won't miss a beat on D ...

But realistically, we're in uncharted territory in several areas, IMO

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
drdiags":9358mwyy said:
He could have some fatal tendencies when faced with various scenarios?

Like soft zone coverage in the final minute of a game leading to several losses in a season? ;)

You're completely right, we don't know what we have in Quinn as of yet, but I wasn't sad to see Bradley go after watching our defense play a good game several times but break down in the final seconds right after our offense got us the lead.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think you've also got to mention our pass protection and an overall lack of a quick passing game. I know Russell can dance with the best of them, but it would be nice if he had to do it less often.

kearly

Reaction score
Schlereth is on the money, as always.

I don't agree with Carter on the "billboard material" thinking- it didn't do opponents much good when Seattle went 8-2 during their last 10 in 2012, and Seattle talked plenty of smack then. Carter makes a good point about the road struggles though- it's very hard to win a SB going 3-5 on the road, because if you go 3-5 on the road you almost certainly aren't getting a bye, which guarantees at least one, probably two road playoff games.

For me, Seattle's biggest weakness, until proven otherwise, is how they handle the Chris Clemons situation. For all we know, he could be "done" as an effective pass rusher in the NFL, it's hard to bounce back from an ACL as a 32 year old who weighs 265 pounds. Avril is a useful player, but he's more like Irvin than Clemons, and we won't have Irvin for the first four games. I would expect our pass rush to struggle early this season, and perhaps throughout the year given the delicate health status of Avril (foot), Bennett (shoulder), and Clemons (knee).

I am also concerned about Seattle's repeated struggles on defense in clutch situations late in games. It could have just been a fluke, or it could have (maybe) been coverage scheme incompetence by Bradley. If it's a fluke it probably won't continue, and if it was Bradley's fault, he's gone now. But still, it's something that I'm a bit worried about. It's possible that our team's big, physical secondary is vulnerable to up-tempo or no-huddle.

Erebus

Reaction score
oldschlhwkfn":dof19b5r said:
As for maturity, Carter points out winning on the road as a barometer for that.
We had some great road wins last season and some horrible losses. But I think the Hawks have turned the
corner on our road woes and will surprise a lot of folks this year.

Depends on what you consider a horrible loss. We had several heartbreaking losses where we should've won, but we never got blown out. We were in every single game. With just a little bit better luck we could've won any of those road games we lost. It shouldn't take drastic improvements to get to 5-3 or 6-2 on the road this year.

I agree we turned the corner, which I think happened at Chicago last year.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
drdiags":3n0uzyvq said:

I agree, Coach Quinn may provide the solution to our weakness, we'll see.