Eric Williams moving to San Diego to cover Chargers for ESPN

drdiags

Reaction score
Eric took over for Sando with the TNT when Sando signed up with ESPN. Now Eric has followed the same career path. I don't visit TNT Seahawks Talk as much as I did in the past, but Eric gave it a good try. Best of luck to him

Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 47m
Pleased to announce that I will move to San Diego to cover the #Chargers for @ESPN, starting Sept. 19. Thankful for the new opportunity.

pehawk

Reaction score
That sucks...I like the dude...ALOT.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
the newspaper sports reporters are becoming the minor leagues for ESPN and others to skim off the cream of the crop

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Hamhawk":nb5n521k said:
the newspaper sports reporters are becoming the minor leagues for ESPN and others to skim off the cream of the crop

What do you mean becoming? Have been, for a long long time.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Williams did a good job, especially taking over for Sando (who was a legend on that blog). That would have a been a tough act to follow.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Congrats to Eric. Let's not forget that Eric actually took over for that tool Frank Hughes who took a really good thing and ran it completely into the toilet.

Thank goodness for my ol' pal Ryan Divish who saved the day and rescued that blog until Eric could take over. Div flat out called Frank a liar when Frank claimed he couldn't cover the blog due to a mass firing at the TNT (which didn't take place).

I like to think I did my part by starting a petition and getting about a thousand people to sign it within a few days to remove Hughes from the TNT and it made its way to the sports editor. I don't think it had anything to do with it, but Hughes was removed in short order (like within 48 hours) and Div and then Eric started pushing out content.

I believe Ryan is the next to go, and he will likely get a really good job with ESPN. Nobody deserves it more to be honest. He's logged over 50,000 miles as the M's beat writer this year. Amazing. It's a brutal business, and if somebody is willing to pay you to work in San Diego and has deep pockets I think you go without hesitating. That's the reality of the news business.

My cousin is a sports writer at a major newspaper. His department has gone from 40 to 4 within the past 2 years. He's always looking for the next job, and the hours are ridiculous.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
That would make too much sense. Plus ESPN probably got tired of hearing all of the wanks who constantly complained that Sando was covering the Seahawks and he was a "fan" because he happens to live in Tacoma (when anybody who knows Sando knows that he grew up a Raiders fan, and his kids are total 49ers fans... as evidenced by them always wearing 49ers gear in the stuff he posts on Facebook).

ESPN isn't much for making sense. But Eric will do a fantastic job on the Chargers beat and their readers are incredibly lucky to have a national reporter who is so good at his job. He asks great questions, he updates info as fast as possible, and he builds good relationships with the fans and the team. He also is extremely knowledgable about football having been a player in college. Ryan played baseball in college, and he and Eric both seem to have a really good grip on what a player's life is like and when to throw them softballs and when to dig a bit deeper. Their relationship building skills are the most important factor in their success I think. Players and coaches appreciate that. Plus Eric will go and ask a specific question you give to him to the head coach/gm/specific player and seems to genuinely enjoy getting the scoop for his readers.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The TNT must be a training ground for ESPN or something

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Just a poaching ground. ESPN doesn't need to train anybody. They have the guys that work for them come to corporate twice a year, and then just expect them to churn out a specific amount of content in the same way that they did at their previous stop, but do it with their new ESPN rights and privileges. They send a check, you send them words. It works out great for everybody, except for the companies who pay these guys to learn their craft. I guess it's just good business, but it sucks for us as readers when our favorites get taken away because the bucks come calling and can't be matched.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
That sucks for TNT. I hope they continue the blog and can hire someone to do good work there. It has a great legacy aside from the the Hughes mishap

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":md2w92fr said:
That would make too much sense.

ESPN isn't much for making sense.
Hmmm, maybe Eric WANTED to move to San Diego?? For a gig like that? Hells yes.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Of all the Seahawks writers and radio guys that I read or listen to, Williams is the worst, I won't miss his stuff.

Latest posts