EPL 2014-15 Season

Smurf

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2ite2e08 said:
Nog":2ite2e08 said:
peachesenregalia":2ite2e08 said:
Unimpressed by Arsenal here. Sanchez' goal was a bit flukey, and Leicester have looked the more dangerous side going forward. Arsenal really need to bring a striker in by tomorrow, because Sanogo isn't going to cut it.
Sanogo has no talents. I've seen him in the youth french teams and Auxerre. Never been impressed. That's what I called a "tout droit" (ask Uncle Si if you wanna know what does that mean :lol: )

To me, Sanogo is just way to raw. He's shown he has potential in bits and pieces of some of his appearances, but it's like for 5 seconds and nothing else. He's incredibly awkward at times and quite honestly, it's nearly impossible to defend him in any way shape or form any more.

What happened to Joe Cambell? Wasn't Wenger going to give the Costa Rican an shot this season? Seems perfect time with Giroud out.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1xc1e72k said:
peachesenregalia":1xc1e72k said:
Moreno...

Holy shit!

Fantastic stuff there.

Good 3 points. Comfortable for the most part. Balo looked good on his debut.

Satisfied with 6 of 9.

Think we may nab another cback and keeper before tomorrow is over

I was gutted to miss the match but after the fact I'm not too bothered! At least it wasn't 5-0 I guess, and it's still early days. Hopefully we can win the games we need to and steal a couple in which we're underdogs to stay in the hunt.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
to be fair to Spurs, they looked a different side than the one that shipped 5 and 4 respectively last season. The problems persist, and Liverpool could have had a couple more, but the game never felt "over" until the last 5 minutes or so.

I think their heads are on right, and the manager was the correct pick. I imagine by late November they will be sniffing around 4 and 5 but with a proper shot at it this time.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Smurf":1jen1fea said:
What happened to Joe Cambell? Wasn't Wenger going to give the Costa Rican an shot this season? Seems perfect time with Giroud out.

I would've gone with him or Podolski. Now with Welbeck coming in and Sanogo failing horribly on Sunday in his audition, there can be no reason why Sanogo would be first choice for the next 4 months.

Arsenal has a poll up asking "when fit" who should be 1st choice striker. Welbeck has 37% and Giroud has 34%. Walcott and Sanchez are the other options.

MB12

Reaction score

Hawkspur

Reaction score
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ob-4153171

In what world is taking on a club with an unlimited wage budget and whose chairman gives you £150 million to spent in one window a tougher challenge than managing a club with the smallest net spend of the last 5 years (- £5 million this window) and a significantly smaller and tighter wage structure?

Is it because they finished 7th our our 6th?

Smurf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":in4711i3 said:
Hawkspur":in4711i3 said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/van-gaal-man-united-job-4153171

In what world is taking on a club with an unlimited wage budget and whose chairman gives you £150 million to spent in one window a tougher challenge than managing a club with the smallest net spend of the last 5 years (- £5 million this window) and a significantly smaller and tighter wage structure?

Just typical manc shite mate. Ignore them, they're no longer significant.
Expectations are different. Both challenging but for different reasons.

United will be back soon enough.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Smurf":1ojsserp said:
peachesenregalia":1ojsserp said:
Hawkspur":1ojsserp said:

In the immediate term Pochettino and van Gaal have the same goal: Champions League qualification. Van Gaal has been given seemingly limitless resources to achieve it. Both will probably have a similar time frame in which to do so.

Smurf

Reaction score
Expectations:

United - Win Title, top 4 at a minimum.

Spurs - Make top 4.

Those have been the expectations on both clubs for as long as I can remember. Just because United is f'ed right doesn't mean the expectations have changed.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":24qe4ybn said:
Expectations:

United - Win Title, top 4 at a minimum.

Spurs - Make top 4.

Those have been the expectations on both clubs for as long as I can remember. Just because United is f'ed right doesn't mean the expectations have changed.

LMFAO! True, true!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree, Smurf, but my point is that the amount of money he has been given should almost guarantee him top 4. If you hadn't noticed, Spurs managers aren't given a lot of grace either for failing to reach the Champions League. Ir's only an easy job if you don't mind getting torn to shreds on sports radio and tabloid papers for months before fired (exactly as it will be at United). As far as media and crowd pressure goes, ask AVB and Sherwood about how relaxed the atmosphere around Spurs is. Hopefully Pochettino will be given a lot more time than has been afforded his predecessors, but history would suggest otherwise. And he's been given (less than) no money to do it.

Obviously United are usually expected to win it all but right now it's top 4. Winning would be a bonus but for the time being it's not the be all and end all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2rkchtro said:
peachesenregalia":2rkchtro said:
Hawkspur":2rkchtro said:

Will they? They've invested a lot in grasping at a top 4 spot. What happens if they fall short there? you are looking a total rebuild, with maybe some of the younger core players brought in this window as the spine.

but gone would be Rooney, RvP, Falcao, probably Di Maria, more than likely Mata. Fellaini would be off, etc., etc.

Van Gaals comments were naive at best (chicken sh-- at worst). He's trying to separate himself from the early results. Fair enough. but to call on Spurs as he did is hiding behind the United mystique. He's already finding excuses for failure ("Oh, I knew this would be so tough, but I'm here anyways") Just do your job..

all these guys like to use the media to paint pictures. BR is a little too much John Wooden for me sometimes, and it can end up with his foot in his mouth. Wenger is contantly trying to get pity. Mourinho is just funny as hell. Pochettino went as far as commenting on Liverpool's spending spree, somehow forgetting he took over a team who did the same thing last year (3-0, beyotch...no, I like him though. good manager). Ferguson was obviously the master of the media puppet.

Only guy that seems to keep his mouth shut is Pelligrini.

anyways, Van Gaal is already trying to distance himself from results. With Di Maria and now Falcao, plus his sanctioned purchases of Herrera and Blind (Shaw was coming regardless) he is fully in the firing line.

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20e83g9e said:
anyways, Van Gaal is already trying to distance himself from results. With Di Maria and now Falcao, plus his sanctioned purchases of Herrera and Blind (Shaw was coming regardless) he is fully in the firing line.
Well, Moyes remained coach for 8 mouths even though I woulda fire him after 3 mouths :lol: So I guess Van Gaal would coach this team for a while.

Anyhow, joke aside, Van Gaal is a great coach. A bit eccentric and rigid but still great!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sturridge hurt...no timetable set on missed games yet. Hearing could be three weeks

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":11uiligh said:
Sturridge hurt...no timetable set on missed games yet. Hearing could be three weeks

I'm hearing 3 weeks as well. That's a big blow for Liverpool, though it is fortunate that it isn't longer.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2zhw18wx said:
Uncle Si":2zhw18wx said:

I'm hearing 3 weeks as well. That's a big blow for Liverpool, though it is fortunate that it isn't longer.

1-2 is the safe assessment from the manager. not a big blow really. we have Balotelli now, and Lallana is returning. Plus the next three weeks are against teams in which Liverpool would be heavy favorites, Sturridge or no.

Just a bummer that England's national team manager has not kept up with the times in terms of properly addressing fitness of modern professional footballers

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Quick thought. Arsenal caught a fair amount of flack for signing Welbeck, not because they signed him but because they spent 16 million for him. Now I think that might be exagerating how stupid of a deal it is. I mean when you compare it with Balotelli who went to Liverpool for the same price, it does seem like a bad deal. But when you realize that Arsenal signed an English striker for 16m, while Welbeck's former club, United spent 30m on a young English left back, it doesn't seem all that crazy.