Eli Apple as our 1st pick. Thoughts?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think the team definitely needs to secure the side opposite Sherman and that's why I voted CB as the biggest need. Lane may be that guy. Yes, there are some others who may help fill the role. But, I think they would be wise to draft a CB somewhere to add to the mix. I wouldn't be upset with Apple, but like other prospects better for the Hawks.

If there is a special player, either draft him or trade the pick. I think there are a few special CB's in the draft. I think Mackensie Alexander is one of them. If he somehow slides and available when it's their pick, you draft him.

Alexander is widely expected to be taken in the first round on the merits of a two-year body of work at Clemson that must be judged on what he didn’t allow to happen on his side of the field. Namely, he allowed just one touchdown — a fluky occurrence when he slipped in the third game of his redshirt freshman year and surrendered a 74-yard score in an overtime loss to Florida State. No Tiger played more defensive snaps than Alexander did that season.

And he’s young, not turning 23 until Nov. 12.

To skeptics who point out that he didn’t register a single interception at Clemson, Alexander counters that it’s simply more evidence of the impact he has on quarterbacks. “A lot of quarterbacks and teams stayed away from me,” Alexander noted. “That was their game plan.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... alexander/

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It is smart to draft a DB every year, and there is room for competition, but i really don't see us improving much with a 1st round DB.

I assume the Hawks have a few that they want to target in the middle or late rounds. One competent backup or role-player should be enough to get us through the season even if we suffer injuries.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I like it a lot better than Ryan Kelly . We need a Tackle not a Center if there thinking about addressing the O-line in round 1. Defense will likely have the BPA for Seattle at 26 .

xgeoff

Reaction score
I could totally get behind this. If Jack Conklin doesn't fall to us, there aren't any other O-Linemen that I like in the first round. He could really round out the LOB and leave Jeremy Lane as a nickel back. Yeah, I would not be disappointed with this guy.

delagator7

Reaction score
DJrmb":yu2yfuk1 said:
Pete and John have never drafted a CB with an arm length of less than 32". Apple's arm length is 31 3/8". While I like the player I think they'll stick to their profile and pass on him.

Is he better than any CB we have now not named Richard Sherman? I don't know if he is a solid 1st rounder.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I cannot help but wonder if his drop is related to going public about Marquand Manuel's question.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Testing numbers incomplete. But I'd say he's not on our early board.

Just not the physical prototype we go for. And if we're not talking early pick, then there are a few other decent project picks we could go with.

It's worth considering though, that we've traded two of this years' picks for players on the roster now (McCray and Seisay). So one could argue that Seattle already picked their two DBs in this draft class already. It's conceivable that we won't go DB at all -- but if we do I would expect us to go safety since that class is incredibly good from a testing perspective. Particularly among the day 3 development players.

xgeoff

Reaction score
There are some great comments here about guys who are already in our system. However, I don't understand the comments about him not having the measurables. Except for the arm length, he seems to have the size we like (6'1" 200lbs) that are good for us (he's bigger than Jeremy Lane) and he's got 4.4 speed to go with it. I think he fits the mold of our corners quite well (Byron Maxwell was also 6'1").

Quite frankly the more I look at what might be available to us in the first round, the more I'd like for us to move down and accumulate picks. There are a ton of guys available in the 2nd round on down that I would love to see us get, including:

C/G Nick Martin
DE Charles Tapper
G Graham Glasgow
TE Nick Vannett
LB Deion Jones
LB Travis Feeney

That being said, if the front office decided to go for someone like Apple or Derrick Henry, I wouldn't be disappointed. I would only be disappointed if they took one of these OL that seem overrated to me, like Germain Ifedi or Jason Spriggs. If they took Ryan Kelly I would take a wait-and-see attitude, as I don't know enough about the kid yet.