Edit: Boldin re-signs with San Fran, 2 yr / $12 mil, $9 gtd

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":27qpbewb said:
Have to believe the Niners will look to add a speedy complement to their two possession receivers. I don't think Quinton Patton is that guy.

With the wealth of picks they have to move up, could see them making a play for a Brandin Cooks. (Or god forbid, Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins)

Cooks is a maybe, but I think his combine may have pushed him out of their reach. Evans? Well he's got the long arms that Baalke loves, but I don't see them going that high to get another "back shoulder" type WR. They need a burner.

Watkins? I wish. He'll be LONG gone before the Niners have any chance to move up.

I'm more looking at guys like Beckham and Matthews as realistic options.

ivotuk

Reaction score
imaho, too much money. Love what Boldin has done but he gets slower every year. I think this shows how desperate SF is in finding good wide receivers. Poor Vern has taken too many hits over the years and it's catching up with him fast. Vernon is 30, Anquan is 32, both have played like warriors but everyone's body breaks down after a while and I think we will see a big drop off with both of these guys this year.

If the 49ers are smart, they will go wide receiver and tight end in the first 3 for 4 rounds. Invest heavy.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.

Subzero717

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":36fxl911 said:
Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.

I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ail8xwq said:
imaho, too much money. Love what Boldin has done but he gets slower every year. I think this shows how desperate SF is in finding good wide receivers. Poor Vern has taken too many hits over the years and it's catching up with him fast. Vernon is 30, Anquan is 32, both have played like warriors but everyone's body breaks down after a while and I think we will see a big drop off with both of these guys this year.

If the 49ers are smart, they will go wide receiver and tight end in the first 3 for 4 rounds. Invest heavy.

I don't have an issue with the money...especially since 3 of th 9 mil is guaranteed only if he's on the roster next year. Niners can cut him loose. Desparate? I wouldn't call resigning a guy who had almost 1200 yards and 7 TDs "desparate".

I don't really see him slowing down tho just because his game was never dependant on speed to begin with.

As for drafting a guy....I'm sure they will.

TE? Well the Niners have already been doing that. They took Vance McDonald last year in round 2 and I'm sure they'll take another one this year...I just doubt it will be that high. Harbaugh loves him some TEs though (no pun intended), so you never know. More likely they'll take an athlete and convert him to TE as they did last year before they lost the guy in the final cuts (wanted to bring him back to PS but he signed elsewhere...which is why they signed a guy off Seattles PS).

Marvin49

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1luum1df said:
loafoftatupu":1luum1df said:

I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.

?

I guess I don't understand why resigning a productive receiver is "telling" or "desparate".

Sure, he's 32...but he just had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Its not like they signed him for 10 mil a year or something.

Not quite sure where you get that on Crab either. The guy has gotten hurt so I can see him being called injury prone, but "Business Decisions"? I don't mean to attack s Seahawks here but Harvin missed just about the entire season because of his hip when peeps thought he'd be back far, far sooner. Crab had a freakin torn achilles and came back and played the rest of the year at a fairly high level.

Not sure where you get the "business decision" thing.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":17tz63kq said:
CALIHAWK1":17tz63kq said:
loafoftatupu":17tz63kq said:

?

I guess I don't understand why resigning a productive receiver is "telling" or "desparate".

Sure, he's 32...but he just had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Its not like they signed him for 10 mil a year or something.

Marvin49":17tz63kq said:
CALIHAWK1":17tz63kq said:
loafoftatupu":17tz63kq said:

?

Its the money. Its not breaking bank but, 2 years for a guy that will be 33. I guess with the other ahing stars the window in the short term is now. Cowboy, Willis.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Marvin49":10j99zr7 said:
CALIHAWK1":10j99zr7 said:
loafoftatupu":10j99zr7 said:

?

Its the money. Its not breaking bank but, 2 years for a guy that will be 33. I guess with the other ahing stars the window in the short term is now. Cowboy, Willis.[/quote]

OK, who SHOULD they have signed and for how much? 6 mil per year really aint that much on a 133 mil cap. Its only a 2 year deal.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin, I know this will probably be hard for you to admit, but I do think you're coming to love us in a "friendly nemesis" way around here. Just a random thought; carry on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ck90cdx said:
Marvin, I know this will probably be hard for you to admit, but I do think you're coming to love us in a "friendly nemesis" way around here. Just a random thought; carry on.

LOL.

Don't even deny it. I wouldn't be here otherwise. :)

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":3koi09hb said:
Marvin49":3koi09hb said:
CALIHAWK1":3koi09hb said:
loafoftatupu":3koi09hb said:

?

Its the money. Its not breaking bank but, 2 years for a guy that will be 33. I guess with the other ahing stars the window in the short term is now. Cowboy, Willis.

OK, who SHOULD they have signed and for how much? 6 mil per year really aint that much on a 133 mil cap. Its only a 2 year deal.[/quote]

I guess if Racist Coopers making 5 then it aint all that bad.

drdiags

Reaction score
Marvin49":aloe6u1b said:

There have been a couple of occasions at the CLink where Cabtree made the "Business decision" to pull up on a route (it appeared so to the broadcast team in the latest one) rather than risk getting blown up. (Kam in this year's NFCCG, Milloy in the 2011 game in the endzone).

It is being smart but you aren't going to get a pass on a rival's board. Just the way it is. One of the reasons we love football is the physical domination that can happen from time to time.

You love it if it is your guy doing the domination. You catch grief if it is your player getting dominated.

EDIT: The clip of Brandon Lloyd as a 9er ducking going across the middle wide open because he heard footsteps is worth its weight in something just for the comic relief. That way rival fans can say the 9ers are wussies. You know it isn't true most of the times but where is the fun if you cannot get a rise out of the other guy?

Marvin49

Reaction score
drdiags":2yugqq17 said:
Marvin49":2yugqq17 said:

There have been a couple of occasions at the CLink where Cabtree made the "Business decision" to pull up on a route (it appeared so to the broadcast team in the latest one) rather than risk getting blown up. (Kam in this year's NFCCG, Milloy in the 2011 game in the endzone).

It is being smart but you aren't going to get a pass on a rival's board. Just the way it is. One of the reasons we love football is the physical domination that can happen from time to time.

You love it if it is your guy doing the domination. You catch grief if it is your player getting dominated.

EDIT: The clip of Brandon Lloyd as a 9er ducking going across the middle wide open because he heard footsteps is worth its weight in something just for the comic relief. That way rival fans can say the 9ers are wussies. You know it isn't true most of the times but where is the fun if you cannot get a rise out of the other guy?

Hrmm...I guess I don't see it that way.

As for Lloyd...nah...he WAS a wus.

drdiags

Reaction score
Marvin49":1yp8w9kn said:

Not saying I see it that way either but Crabs was pointed out by Aikman as pulling up on the route. Thus the "Business decision" aspect is going to be used. If rivals start referring to him as Pinkston, then you know it has gotten bad. I like Crabtree. He may or may not be a prima-donna but he has skills. Wanted the team to draft him when he came out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
drdiags":38k9qqas said:
Marvin49":38k9qqas said:

Not saying I see it that way either but Crabs was pointed out by Aikman as pulling up on the route. Thus the "Business decision" aspect is going to be used. If rivals start referring to him as Pinkston, then you know it has gotten bad. I like Crabtree. He may or may not be a prima-donna but he has skills. Wanted the team to draft him when he came out.

hehe.

Aikman says ALOT of stuff. He also said that Clay Matthews launching himself from about 2 inches inbounds to take Kap down about 4 yards OUT of bounds was "not that bad".

drdiags

Reaction score
Marvin49":175lkwqg said:
hehe.

Aikman says ALOT of stuff. He also said that Clay Matthews launching himself from about 2 inches inbounds to take Kap down about 4 yards OUT of bounds was "not that bad".

True. Aikman can get on his high horse pretty easily. Seems not many fan-bases like having him call their games. The Packers fans were on him as well.

On-Topic. Seems like a reasonable contract. The 9ers felt Boldin gave them something, definitely some toughness to add on the offensive side of the ball. Sort of like the same thing Lynch gives the Seahawks. I bet the 9ers defense loves the way he plays. He can set a tone playing from the WR position. That is something worthwhile to a team.

OrFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":bxvmk94m said:
Scottemojo":bxvmk94m said:
Marvin49":bxvmk94m said:
Scottemojo":bxvmk94m said:
Good for them and him. He looked good in the NFCCG.

And good for the Hawks. At his age any deal has the potential to go badly. Everybody wins.

True...

...but the nice things are that 1) He was never that fast to begin with, 2) Its only a 2 year deal.

Kinda surprised tho on the 9 mil guaranteed.

I have little doubt he is going to be the same slow as he always was. I am referring to the increased risk of injury as players age. It is what it is.
I also think that the type of routes the Niners run, lots of rubs and drags, favor those slower runners, especially vs zone. He fits the Roman O to to a T.

Yeah, but they still need a WR with speed. Pretty sure they'll be drafting one.

Niners had one they stole from us, thankfully Kaeptain one read couldn't figure out how to come off his first read to get the ball to him when he came open, so they released him. Lockette turned out pretty good as a speed guy for us, and really good on special teams.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":2hq9js90 said:
drdiags":2hq9js90 said:
Marvin49":2hq9js90 said:

He did it in the NFCCG game when he felt Kam coming and he did the same thing in 2010 when Lawyer Milloy was coming. I dont watch you guys enough but, as blatant as both of those were I would imagine they werent isolated incidents. Granted those were years apart but again I dont watch enough niners but, Ive also heard it said before more than once.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Marvin49":3568f5h9 said:
Hasselbeck":3568f5h9 said:
Have to believe the Niners will look to add a speedy complement to their two possession receivers. I don't think Quinton Patton is that guy.

With the wealth of picks they have to move up, could see them making a play for a Brandin Cooks. (Or god forbid, Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins)

Cooks is a maybe, but I think his combine may have pushed him out of their reach. Evans? Well he's got the long arms that Baalke loves, but I don't see them going that high to get another "back shoulder" type WR. They need a burner.

Watkins? I wish. He'll be LONG gone before the Niners have any chance to move up.

I'm more looking at guys like Beckham and Matthews as realistic options.
It depends of how far another team is willing to move down, and how far the niners will move up.
Another name is Lee, I have a hard time blaming him for what happened last year, he may be out of SF's range though, because if they aren't willing to move up to before 18 he seems like a perfect fit for Baltimore's offense.
I think Cooks is a very realistic possibility though, most mocks don't have him going too high

Popeyejones

Reaction score
OrFan":39kowkvu said:
Niners had one they stole from us, thankfully Kaeptain one read couldn't figure out how to come off his first read to get the ball to him when he came open, so they released him. Lockette turned out pretty good as a speed guy for us, and really good on special teams.

This is all very hard to keep track of. After the Hawks cut Lockette (which I guess was the 9ers "stealing" him) and he was on the bottom of the 9ers depth chart in the pre-season the story from Hawks fans was that the 9ers were idiots for not knowing that Lockette is all measurables and zero ability. But now after he spent half the season unemployed before going back to being at the bottom of the Hawks depth chart b/c of Rice's injury, the 9ers are idiots for not recognizing real talent and missing out on his five receptions this year. Do I have this right?

Latest posts