Edit: Boldin re-signs with San Fran, 2 yr / $12 mil, $9 gtd

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":bs21jwp8 said:
OrFan":bs21jwp8 said:
Niners had one they stole from us, thankfully Kaeptain one read couldn't figure out how to come off his first read to get the ball to him when he came open, so they released him. Lockette turned out pretty good as a speed guy for us, and really good on special teams.

This is all very hard to keep track of. After the Hawks cut Lockette (which I guess was the 9ers "stealing" him) and he was on the bottom of the 9ers depth chart in the pre-season the story from Hawks fans was that the 9ers were idiots for not knowing that Lockette is all measurables and zero ability. But now after he spent half the season unemployed before going back to being at the bottom of the Hawks depth chart b/c of Rice's injury, the 9ers are idiots for missing out on his five receptions this year. Do I have this right?

LOL. :D

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeye is actually pretty correct on his Lockette recount. Though, I am on record as saying I thought Lockette could be legit based on the training camp practice I saw him at, so I have a trump card; and I didn't bash him when he was a 49er, though I did mock Kaepernick's supposed ability to teach him. :lol:

Subzero717

Reaction score
Lockette also said he changed his ways off field etc too. He put all his focus on football after being released by the Bears.

Marvin49

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":d1ysfwf1 said:
Lockette also said he changed his ways off field etc too. He put all his focus on football after being released by the Bears.

Lockettes problems are and always have been between his ears.

He's got the physical tools. I just dunno if he has the brains to be a solid NFL player. I know Kap worked with him to simplify the offense enough for him to digest it, but he just didn't get it.

Now, if you tell him to run fast and kill a Punt Returner, that he can do in spades.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":c6mb9vat said:
CALIHAWK1":c6mb9vat said:

Lockettes problems are and always have been between his ears.

He's got the physical tools. I just dunno if he has the brains to be a solid NFL player. I know Kap worked with him to simplify the offense enough for him to digest it, but he just didn't get it.

Now, if you tell him to run fast and kill a Punt Returner, that he can do in spades.

He was decent for us this year. He played good special teams and was and did what we ask our #4 reciever to do. He wasnt the same player this year he was when he was with us or you guys.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2w5ummk7 said:
He's got the physical tools. I just dunno if he has the brains to be a solid NFL player.

It's not just the NFL. In total in college he had all of 42 receptions for 539 yards and 4 tds. He has lived of his measurables for years now.

Hawks fans are now sounding like Hawks fans used to sound before they dumped him, like 9ers fans sounded before the dumped him, and like Bears fans sounded before they dumped him. That now at 28 he'll suddenly be able to do something he has never been able to do at any level of football before is pretty doubtful, IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":4msmwdw5 said:
He was decent for us this year. He played good special teams and was and did what we ask our #4 reciever to do. He wasnt the same player this year he was when he was with us or you guys.

He had a big ST play on the 9ers in pre-season this year as well.

I watched evey Hawks game this year and I certainly didn't see anything special in his five receptions. He looked like what he is: a guy who wouldn't be playing (and let's be honest, wouldn't even be on the roster) if the Hawks' top two WRs weren't out. Basically, he was fourth on the depth chart because Harvin and Rice weren't on the depth chart, and because Harper surprised a lot of folks and busted. If all those things don't go wrong he would have never even sniffed the roster.

(and just to say it, not simply hating, I really like the Hawks receivers and think they're much better than their numbers; just not Lockette, given that one of the few things 9ers and Hawks fans have in common is that we've been taking turns fooling ourselves about him :) ).

Subzero717

Reaction score
Popeyejones":38tvge7x said:
CALIHAWK1":38tvge7x said:

He had a big ST play on the 9ers in pre-season this year as well.

I watched evey Hawks game this year and I certainly didn't see anything special in his five receptions. He looked like what he is: a guy who wouldn't be playing (and let's be honest, wouldn't even be on the roster) if the Hawks' top two WRs weren't out. Basically, he was fourth on the depth chart because Harvin and Rice weren't on the depth chart, and because Harper surprised a lot of folks and busted. If all those things don't go wrong he would have never even sniffed the roster.

And when for whatever the reason he was our fourth reciever he did what was asked. Blocking etc. When Harvin returned he was our fifth and I acknowledge that and had Sidney not been hurt he may or may not have even been on the roster. He was a good STer. Im failing to see what your point is or where I said he was a Pro Bowl level player since returning here. We are a run first team so its not like we are asking our 4th, 5th reciever to do a ton as if we were Denver.

I also hardly think you are the only one who watched every game this year. Pointing that out I l'dol. I think 99.999999% of this board watched every game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think the worst argument in favor of any player in the history of football is that they "have all the tools". Getting so tired of hearing it. You know some players that don't have all the tools? Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman. Patrick Peterson and Colin Kaepernick, on the other hand, have all the tools, but neither is as good as the aforementioned two.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3ue8zdf9 said:
And when for whatever the reason he was our fourth reciever he did what was asked. Blocking etc. When Harvin returned he was our fifth and I acknowledge that and had Sidney not been hurt he may or may not have even been on the roster. He was a good STer. Im failing to see what your point is

My point was that rather than Lockette having "turned it around" he did what he has always done (not much of anything), and only had the opportunity to be 4th on the depth chart (let alone on the team at all) because two guys got injured and the Hawks had a rare miss in drafting. That's all I was saying. :)

or where I said he was a Pro Bowl level player since returning here.

LOLWHUT? I accused you of this where? Unnecessary hyperbole, IMO.

We are a run first team so its not like we are asking our 4th, 5th reciever to do a ton as if we were Denver.

Never made any claims about this either. Depending on what happens in FA, if Harvin is out for a substantial amount of time again, and if the Hawks don't draft any WRs or have too much faith in the development of their young WRs he might even make the team again. He might even shatter his career record and average a reception every other game. It's certainly possible, I just don't think it's likely. To be clear, I'm not rooting against him either, I've just been on the carousel with him before (as have Hawks fans, incidentally).

I also hardly think you are the only one who watched every game this year. Pointing that out I l'dol. I think 99.999999% of this board watched every game.

I said it because I'm a 9ers fan, so the expectation is that I wouldn't have. If a Hawks fan was talking about a bottom-of-the-depth chart 9ers player I'd give their opinion more weight too if they had actually watched all the games rather than just the occasional matchup. I was pointing out that in viewership I'm THE SAME as everyone else here, not different. ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I consider Lockette the poster child For JAFG, and if he didn't put that speed to work in specials I would be begging for him to be cut. Lets not forget, the real reason Niner fans were pimpin Lockette is because Kaeperstank was pimping Lockette as his new BFF that was going to save them from the Crabtree got hurt blues.

His growth has been SLOW. In the SB he caught a crossing pattern. I didn't even know he knew that route.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":49x4qoe1 said:
I consider Lockette the poster child For JAFG, and if he didn't put that speed to work in specials I would be begging for him to be cut. Lets not forget, the real reason Niner fans were pimpin Lockette is because Kaeperstank was pimping Lockette as his new BFF that was going to save them from the Crabtree got hurt blues.

More than anything else (and you've got your timeline a bit messed up, FWIW) it was people last year still being dumb enough to listen to Harbaugh when he pumps up his players in the media.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2bktz9iz said:
Scottemojo":2bktz9iz said:

More than anything else (and you've got your timeline a bit messed up, FWIW) it was people last year still being dumb enough to listen to Harbaugh when he pumps up his players in the media.
timeline be damned, it's still one of the funniest things I have ever read, Kaep teaching Lockette, his roomie and bff, the offense IN THE SHOWER using shapes and colors.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Lockette learned ONE play from the offense and has caught balls on that deep cross every time. Aside from ONE catch on the sideline against SF, the guy literally caught all of his other balls on that deep cross. Am I wrong?

Special teams *fiddle faddle he is though... so faaast.

*fiddle faddle is good

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1gr8i0cm said:
Popeyejones":1gr8i0cm said:
Scottemojo":1gr8i0cm said:

timeline be damned, it's still one of the funniest things I have ever read, Kaep teaching Lockette, his roomie and bff, the offense IN THE SHOWER using shapes and colors.

...actually I think it was cars....like "whats the Corvette pattern".

Sigh.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1iqnrpl7 said:
Mike Wallace/Percy Harvin #s?

That sounds about right (in terms of what he'll get, not what I'd guess he wants). A lot of it will come down to his stats next year, I'd think.

FWIW I think that although he's more valuable to the 9ers than anyone else, he's overrated and replaceable. (the problem with Crabtree being out wasn't that Crabtree is amazing, it's that every single person they tried to have start in his place is simply atrocious: all of them except Baldwin was cut by the end of the year, and even he got banished off of the 46).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zy0567t said:
Scottemojo":1zy0567t said:
Popeyejones":1zy0567t said:
Scottemojo":1zy0567t said:

...actually I think it was cars....like "whats the Corvette pattern".

Sigh.
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23313056/49ers-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-has-ally-housemate

OH, the LULZ.