East coast bias defined.

Maulbert

Reaction score
These are from USA Today's All Star Break power rankings:

18 Baltimore Orioles​

It’s all kind of coming together in Baltimore … FINALLY. And they haven’t even called up Grayson Rodriguez or Gunnar Henderson yet.

11 Seattle Mariners​

How much are we buying the win streak? Julio Rodriguez is the real deal superstar we thought he’d be. Ty France is finally breaking out. Robbie Ray has rebounded from a slow start. Logan Gilbert appears to be for real. Yet … I’m cautious, as you can see.

With Baltimore, "It's all coming together". With Seattle, it's "How much are we buying them?"

I hate national media.

W

Welshers

With Baltimore, "It's all coming together". With Seattle, it's "How much are we buying them?"

I hate national media.

Yeah it's bullshit I've been looking at a few power rankings and barely anyone has them top 10. Although I kind of like us being under the radar. Less pressure on the guys and it's the way the city of Seattle's always done it in sports. I will say, a certain Atlanta team was treated the same way after catching on fire last year. And we all know how that ended...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Win the whole #%&$ing thing then they don’t have a choice but to respect you.

That’s what the Hawks did in XLVIII.

Punched Denver in the mouth and took their candy the whole game. No one in the National media outside of a few gave them a chance. I predicted a 12-15 point Seattle victory, I was happily wrong as they won by 35 points. :)

Crizilla

Reaction score
Seahawks went through the same thing a decade ago. Unfortunately in Seattle you have to win it all to get respect. Just the way it is.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I really have no problem with what they said. What have we done to earn respect? We have the longest playoff drought in the MLB. Eventually we will get respect, but until we at least make the playoffs, most will overlook us.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Okay. What has Baltimore done to suggest their streak wasn't a fluke?
It was one article. I don’t look too much into one article.

Rotoworld has us #6 on their power rankings from today. Still east coast bias?

Threedee

Reaction score
Objectively, you do have to be more skeptical of Baltimore than Seattle. You can obviously be skeptical of both.

Hawker

Reaction score
Just about every national power ranking has Seattle firmly planted in 6th place coming out of the All-Star break. Which, to me, is appropriate spot for the M's.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t really care about in season power rankings in any sport. They are meaningless IMHO. The only power ranking that counts is the one where one team at the end of the year is hoisting up the championship trophy.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Objectively, you do have to be more skeptical of Baltimore than Seattle. You can obviously be skeptical of both.
My point exactly. I'm not convinced the M's are real. I'm not comparing the M's to the Yankees or Asterisks. But if you're skeptical of Seattle, how can you think Baltimore is for real?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We're 2500 miles from the east coast so they know NOTHING about our teams... and, most of our home games start at 9:40 PM on the east coast and don't wrap up until after midnight.

The net effect of that time difference is the box score and brief writeup of the Mariners home night games doesn't make the morning edition of the east coast newspapers.

No coverage = no respect.

Chapow

Reaction score

I hate national media.

Despite their comments, they have the Mariners ranked significantly higher than the Orioles in their power rankings. That doesn't exactly reek of east coast bias to me.

Guess what? I'm a life long Mariners fan and I'm remaining cautious too. They've been playing great lately, but there's an awfully long ways to go and a lot of good teams in the wildcard race.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Despite their comments, they have the Mariners ranked significantly higher than the Orioles in their power rankings. That doesn't exactly reek of east coast bias to me.

Guess what? I'm a life long Mariners fan and I'm remaining cautious too. They've been playing great lately, but there's an awfully long ways to go and a lot of good teams in the wildcard race.

I think this is the approach most fans are taking. Cautiously optimistic. I do think we make the playoffs, and wouldn’t surprise me if we get the top WC spot, but also hard to ignore history. That 2018 season is a reminder that we need to let the season play out before we can come to assumptions. I think that season we were 10 games up on Oakland in the second half and might have finished 10 games behind them. Credit to Oakland, they did go on a historically great run.