Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

adeltaY

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I definitely don't think any of them are gonna be first ballot guys. Unless Sherman has a phenomenal recovery and picks up three more first team all pros (would suck for the Seahawks). It'd be really cool if they all got in, but I'd be more surprised if that happened than if none of them did. Just the way the Hall is man. They like pass rushers a lot more than DBs except for true phenoms like Woodson, Sanders, and Ed Reed.

toffee

Reaction score
For HOF, Kam has almost no chance; Earl may but chances are 55/45; Sherm will talk and bitch himself into the hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
themunn":3r4mktie said:
vin.couve12":3r4mktie said:
poly1274":3r4mktie said:
Question do people really believe Earl Thomas as hofer?? I looked at the numbers he ain’t Charles Woodson
No.

He's statistically similar to Reggie Nelson over his first 8 years and then Reggie Nelson had 14 INTs over years 9 through 11. He won't catch Reggie Nelson, let alone get into the hall. Kenny Easley had 32 picks in 7 years and it took him 25 years to get in. If he gets in, it will be because of name more than play and it won't be for an extremely long time, but likely not at all.

Reggie Nelson made the pro bowl twice, and was 2nd team all-pro once, in his entire career.

Earl Thomas has 6 pro bowls, 3 first team all-pros and 2 2nd team all pros in 8 years.

Similar comparison? Well, Brian Dawkins after 8 seasons had 3 pro bowls, 2 first team all-pros, 1 2nd team all-pro, 21 interceptions, at age 30. So Earl Thomas is ahead of a 2018 inducted Hall of Famer in every respect at the same stage of his career.

Of course, Dawkins went on to get another 6 pro bowl selections, and 3 first team all-pro selectiosn AFTER he turned 30, missing just 14 games over the next 8 years (7 of those in his last 2 seasons at the ripe old age of 37). So now is definitely the time to ditch Thomas and watch him play at a high level for another half decade.

These stats are interesting but probably need to have a timeframe associated with them. Reason is back in the day it was the players that were voting for the pro bowl. Now it is a lot of fan base voting that gets them in. Some wont see the accolades because of the lack of promotion from their fanbase and the other fanbases that have not seen that much more than what their rose colored glasses see. (Any one seen my rose colored glasses?? I lost them somewhere. :p)
:stirthepot: :irishdrinkers:

FinNasty

Reaction score
I can't believe many of you don't have as high of an opinion of Earl Thomas as I would think. IMO, he's a straight HoF lock. He's the best FS of his era. I don't really think its debatable...

TwilightError

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":31stklpr said:
Trading now would be for absolute peanuts. We have the players and cap space to withstand a holdout. Just telling us up front actually allows the team to better prepare even. So why sell impossibly low? His value has likely only declined since the draft. Still not sure who would even want to pony up a pick and pay Eric berry money - when the safety market is super depressed, the value isn’t there.

This is the problem. In a better market situation trading him would be a great option. Now there are no good options for the team. Only hope is that he will decide to play early on the season. It’s his last year here most likely anyway.

Seymour

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2ah74tuq said:
Bottom line.....Does Earl get a new contract with the Hawks before September 9th or not?

Word is, there have been no real contract discussions with Earl since March.

He is history, just a matter of this last season and where he spends it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1bx6ljho said:
I think his open market value is a pretty good reflection of his HOF chances.

I don't see how these two things are tied together at all.

HOF is a career defining evaluation of talent. What's going on now in the open market is every other team has the same opinion of Earl as we do..............amazingly talented free safety, but with too many health concerns to give a massive contract extension.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fopvghl said:
bigskydoc":2fopvghl said:
I think his open market value is a pretty good reflection of his HOF chances.

I don't see how these two things are tied together at all.

HOF is a career defining evaluation of talent. What's going on now in the open market is every other team has the same opinion of Earl as we do..............amazingly talented free safety, but with too many health concerns to give a massive contract extension.

Health concerns or lofty pay demands / Dallas only mentality?

In 8 years Earl had one freak broken leg from iron man Chancellor, and one quad issue (but 2 straight years doesn't look good I agree) I think his top knock is his game is 90% reliant on speed. That speed will only diminish over the next couple of years, so paying him for yesterdays production could become tomorrows mistake.

Unless you consider losing speed part of health concerns?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I believe Earl may have somebody that has bitter feelings towards the Seahawks in his ear..........hmmm?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
He has the right to be taken care of, folks. Poor, poor multimillionaire. My working class heart bleeds for him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Cowboys had 11.47 million in cap space, but just extended Martin on a 6 year 84 million dollar deal. Martin was already making over 9 mil, but the cap situation there likely means they are out of the ET trade scenario unless he were to restructure this year for more next year. Dallas has some big extensions coming up too.

Trade scenarios don't need to involve Dallas though.

adeltaY

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":ni6zs1d9 said:
I believe Earl may have somebody that has bitter feelings towards the Seahawks in his ear..........hmmm?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1006747565709234176[/tweet]

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Awww, man i miss Sherm. He says a lotta of stupid shizz, but his quotes always brought a smile to my face.

Jville

Reaction score
adeltaY":3gofqgu0 said:
SpokaneHawks":3gofqgu0 said:

Every year we enter the stupid season. Sherm's is as good of warning as any that it has returned once again. Lazy disinformation.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":23xuhbwu said:
adeltaY":23xuhbwu said:
SpokaneHawks":23xuhbwu said:

Every year we enter the stupid season. Sherm's is as good of warning as any that it has returned once again. Lazy disinformation.
You know it, and you can also bet your butts that these guys have NEVER discussed their grievances amongst themselves over the last few years either.
So many squeaky wheels got tended to with lots of Bankers Grea$e, that can be a crippling effect on negotiations.
ET wouldn't need to talk to Sherman or anyone else, and hell, why would he?, he has seen for himself how Michael Bennett, Kam Chancellor, & Marshawn Lynch got their money by holding out.
BUT, to say that these guys NEVER discuss their money matters amongst themselves is naïve as hell.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":2jzfkc6e said:

To me, stupid would be....anyone believing Sherman is always telling the truth when confronted with a sensitive situation he may be involved in. :roll:

Or maybe blind would be more appropriate?

Not saying I know. I'm saying Shermans statement = ZERO.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is the 6th highest paid safety in the NFL. There's an argument that 2 of those being paid more can't hold his jock when it comes to their play....Reshad Jones, LaMarcus Joyner anyone...please. He has a legit gripe in my book. He should and deserves to be paid at the minimum Kam Chancellor type of money. Kam earns $12M/yr per Sporttrac.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/safety/

Seymour

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3bwewiad said:
Earl Thomas is the 6th highest paid safety in the NFL. There's an argument that 4 of those being paid more can't hold his jock when it comes to their play....Reshad Jones, LaMarcus Joyner anyone...please. He has a legit gripe in my book. He should and deserves to be paid at the minimum Kam Chancellor type of money. Kam earns $12M/yr per Sporttrac.

Great. Well Russell makes $21.9M per year and is the 11th highest paid QB in the league. I guess given your logic that Russell needs to sit out until "justice" is served.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Or better yet. Since NFL wages are going up at such high rates, nobody can have more than a 1 year deal from here forward so nobody has to do without!! :2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":36a7yw3u said:
Earl Thomas is the 6th highest paid safety in the NFL. There's an argument that 2 of those being paid more can't hold his jock when it comes to their play....Reshad Jones, LaMarcus Joyner anyone...please. He has a legit gripe in my book. He should and deserves to be paid at the minimum Kam Chancellor type of money. Kam earns $12M/yr per Sporttrac.

Earl Thomas needs nobody's pity. To date he has already received from the Seattle Seahawks ...... $50,700,000

Per OTC ....... the dead cap money that would be incurred via outright release or trade would be $1,900,000.
However, the accompanying cap savings to be realized would be $8,500,000.

Seattle easily leads all other teams in position cost $27,672,136 at safety.

Earl Thomas is currently scheduled to receive $1,700,000 more in salary checks this year than Kam Chancellor.

It's so early in the process. So what if he misses a mini camp. After 8 years, this opens up a great opportunity for 4+ alternatives to benefit from needed coaching and reps.