D's Gone Soft.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We let the lumbering Red Rifle sneak one in from 7 yards out. That can't happen.

drdiags

Reaction score
The new DC is getting baptism by fire along with changes in the secondary since late last year. Posted this in another thread, but points out one trend you hope gets corrected soon:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JoeDRobinson4/status/653894514948575232[/tweet]

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21iqfykm said:
Soft? How about very tired, when the Offense has less than 40 yards in the 4th quarter. 6 straight punts.

I've already said multiple times I'm not absolving the offense at all.

But sorry, when our ENTIRE team's philosophy and 75% of cap resources are dedicated to a supposed suffocating bend but don't break physical defense full of supposed all pro's? Then no, it's on them.

edogg23

Reaction score
I would just like to point out to those saying look at the Bears and Lions games, that those are probably the worst two qbs in the whole league we just faced. Clausen is probably the worst backup in the league and Stafford is playing so bad he was benched which is hard to do with that big of a contract. Fools gold.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":2pf8qvz6 said:
The new DC is getting baptism by fire along with changes in the secondary since late last year. Posted this in another thread, but points out one trend you hope gets corrected soon:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JoeDRobinson4/status/653894514948575232[/tweet]
This folks is the elephant in the room, whatever the reasons.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
For starters the first three quarters were anything but soft. They played great, and gave us a glimpse of that championship team. Secondly, there were games and stretches last year and years past that you could point to and say they were soft, or had gotten soft.

While Cary Williams may be the weakest link individual wise, the biggest problem I've seen this season from the d is a lack of a consistent pass rush. I saw improvement last game, but for the most part, qb's have had time and a pocket to do their thing. If we could get a pass rush going, that would help overcome Cary's deficiencies. It certainly helped with maxwell.

CoRt

Reaction score
StoneCold":3c2yeni2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3c2yeni2 said:
StoneCold":3c2yeni2 said:
Disagree completely. They are not soft, but they are not clicking on all cylinders. Were they hungry against KC last year?

If you don't see a seismic shift in tenacity and grit from 2012/2013 to this year, then I guess we can agree to disagree.

This is NOT the same D, and it should be.

In 2014"
SD 30 points
Cowboys 30 points
Rams 28 points

I would agree they are not the same, but I don't think "Want to" is the problem. It's more communication and scheme.

After Sherman was put on AJ he didn't have a reception until the 4th quarter.

I also think our defense is vulnerable to Seam passes. The lions hit a long one on their final drive and yesterday two, nearly identical plays, were converted to TD's.

You have hit the nail on the head. When people keep complaining about why this D is not working right I answer "It always starts with the scheme." I think as time goes on Kris Richard will get a lot better but I think he has too much confidence with his DB's winning man 2 man battles.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
akscoundrel":2p5q31th said:
While Cary Williams may be the weakest link individual wise, the biggest problem I've seen this season from the d is a lack of a consistent pass rush. I saw improvement last game, but for the most part, qb's have had time and a pocket to do their thing. If we could get a pass rush going, that would help overcome Cary's deficiencies. It certainly helped with maxwell.

The pass rush was as good as it's been all year, Dalton just did a good job of sliding around and making great throws.

IMO it's the LOB and back end of our D that's the issue right now. WAY too much miscommunication, holding, PI and terrible coverage for three supposed all pro's considered the best at their positions.

Latest posts