Dremont Jones switching to EDGE/OLB?

sutz

Reaction score
IDK about a "switch" in positions, but from what I've read, Mack likes his players to be versatile, and Dre could very well be a guy that can play inside or outside on demand. Keep the O on their toes.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Confusion caused by the D are the biggest problems opposing teams face and I'm hoping that we create that for other teams , learn how to adjust to it on our O and adjust in game and from game to game
I kinda expect a better record than last year just because of coaching

toffee

Reaction score
I don't really see a 280# guy who ran a 5.12 40 with a 7.7 second 3-cone covering the flat either...
MIKE MORRIS, 6'5" 275 lbs, 4.95 sec 40, 1.72 sec 10. Big Ten Conference Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2022, leading the Wolverines with 11 tackles for loss, including 7.5 sacks, among 23 total stops (also posting three pass breakups, one blocked kick and one forced fumbles) in 12 games with 11 starts.

chrispy

Reaction score
He wasn't successful rushing the passer last year and we couldn't set the edge last year. Maybe he DJones could improve both situations with a swap of positions on certain downs. It certainly won't hurt....

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I don't really see a 280# guy who ran a 5.12 40 with a 7.7 second 3-cone covering the flat either...
When Jones came out of Ohio State he was 250 lbs so I can only assume he has gotten slower. Jones was a tweener small as a DT and too slow as a DE/Edge. I don’t expect Jones to last past 2024 right now just filling a spot

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
MIKE MORRIS, 6'5" 275 lbs, 4.95 sec 40, 1.72 sec 10. Big Ten Conference Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2022, leading the Wolverines with 11 tackles for loss, including 7.5 sacks, among 23 total stops (also posting three pass breakups, one blocked kick and one forced fumbles) in 12 games with 11 starts.
When Morris cam out he was listed as an Edge/OLB I think that was a joke all of his test metrics were at the bottom of the position group. I consider him a DT not a DE. Morris was going against college O lines it is much different in the NFL I am hoping for a good season from him

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
You can't judge Dremont based on his last 2 years on one of the worst defenses in the NFL, with plays being called by one of the worst DCs in this teams history.
Jones stats for Denver (2019-2022) where no better than his 1 season in Seattle (2023)

He needs to step it up

toffee

Reaction score
When Morris cam out he was listed as an Edge/OLB I think that was a joke all of his test metrics were at the bottom of the position group. I consider him a DT not a DE. Morris was going against college O lines it is much different in the NFL I am hoping for a good season from him
Morris played 26 snaps as a NFL player, PFF seems to like him

Screenshot 2024 05 10 17 05 27 81 40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12

Scout

Reaction score
An elephant edge is starting to become more common last year because teams are trying to run against nickel base defenses on early downs.

Jones can play 3 technique no problem as he was a terror when he was in Denver and being coached by Evero. Jones is at his best attacking a gap or crossing an OL face to hit a gap quickly.

Mac is going to be using him as his joker on the front seven where he is moved around the LoS. Similar to how Hightwoer was used in BBs defense during Hightower's career. And how Flores will use Dallas Turner in his defensive front because Turner isn't just an edge player either.

Jones has always been a tweener so he will be moved around to do one goal and that is go downhill into a gap and look for Tackles for Losses and sacks which is what he excels at.

A lot of teams are doing this now which is why the Bucs asked Vea to lose some weight for the upcoming season. The Bucs in that playoff game last season against the Eagles were kicking Vea and Kancey out on the edge which really was confusing the Eagles OTs and causing fatigue on their OTs. Ironic because the Eagles are known to be a physical team in the trenches and in the regular season the Eagles trenches whooped the Bucs badly in 2023.

D. Jones has the athletic ability to give OTs fits if Mac wants to do X games aka have his players do a lot of stunting.

So having players that can play in the trenches is important but also scheming them in the right position is important too. But I am confident that Mac can do this and make D. Jones play his best at what he is well suited for.

gmor

Reaction score
When Jones came out of Ohio State he was 250 lbs so I can only assume he has gotten slower. Jones was a tweener small as a DT and too slow as a DE/Edge. I don’t expect Jones to last past 2024 right now just filling a spot
I agree based on what he's shown so far. If he has another like year, he should be gone.