Draft A Potential Franchise QB In April

IndyHawk

Reaction score
That is not a winning philosophy. "Plug and play until it sorts itself out"? Who do you think we are the frickin Browns. Seattle hasn't missed on QB's, if they see their guy they need to do be all needs to go get him! He'll as bad as the Hawks are playing we may end up with a top 10 pick. At that point Williams & Drake are in play! Plug & Play, damn your funny!
There is line issues,D issues,OC issue and a DC issue.
I just can't see a rookie QB who likely will bust just like many have
before is worth slowing down all the other issues in getting fixed.

renofox

Reaction score
When you say "slowing down the other issues in getting fixed", could you please explain what leads you to believe these issues are ever going to be fixed?

I've seen no real progress in any of these things for almost a decade. In fact, I see continuous regression in these key areas. A little bump up, here and there is the best result. But the steady slide downward has been around for a while.

Common sense says wait til you have a decent OL to draft a QB. Maybe that's why PCJS haven't done so? But does that mean we'll spend eternity on mid-level retreads? Because I don't see an actually good O-line coming anytime soon.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
When you say "slowing down the other issues in getting fixed", could you please explain what leads you to believe these issues are ever going to be fixed?

I've seen no real progress in any of these things for almost a decade. In fact, I see continuous regression in these key areas. A little bump up, here and there is the best result. But the steady slide downward has been around for a while.

Common sense says wait til you have a decent OL to draft a QB. Maybe that's why PCJS haven't done so? But does that mean we'll spend eternity on mid-level retreads? Because I don't see an actually good O-line coming anytime soon.
I have no proof they will at least quickly but they won't get fixed other
than by draft,fa and udfa.
I left out trades because that has not worked out.
As I said using high draft capital at this point in a QB with the issues on the
front doesn't bode well.
I'm well aware at some point we will need to do something there,I just don't
think it's this year.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If you have the shot at a top tier QB, you take it if you believe he can be a franchise QB in our shoes. Geno and Lock are not franchise QBs. If you keep putting it off because "we don't have the right situation" then you're never going to get a franchise QB. Imagine if the Texans passed on Stroud because they didn't have a good offensive line, and their receiver corps was considered weak.

Seattle has some strong pieces. If our starting tackles are in, our line isn't even that bad. The center and LG or RG position depending on where they decide to put Lewis any given year is the weak spot in our starting lineup. That is fixable, especially since Bradford showed some life.

Our skill positions are all extremely strong on offense, in fact, I'd consider them one of the strongest WR corps in the NFL. They probably have one of the deepest TE groups in the NFL too.

I'd argue that this is the prime time to develop your future passer. Having little money tied into the QB position also makes retaining talent and bringing in new talent easier and provides you with flexibility.

This roster isn't bad, just a few tweaks and I think they can be competitive.

12forlife

Reaction score
I like McCarthy a lot otherwise, but even in the second play on that highlight clip, he's got to fully step into that and do a full windup to hit that sideline go route. There's no effortlessness to his passes. It's likely to cause trouble down the road if he has to wind up like that to get the ball down the field or put zip on intermediate balls. I worry about his out route balls and middle shots floating. It'll be harder not to get picked on by NFL level safeties.

If he can rework some of his mechanics and find some additional zip, it'll pay dividends. I know we've talked about this before, but I just simply see him as a prospect that is limited in that one regard when projecting him to the league.
Hhmmm well we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not saying he has an a world arm. I honestly see him as a Kirk Cousins, with a higher ceiling? Payton manning did ok with a average arm? I know it's college and you get away with throws you don't in the NFL. I just like the kids moxy, plus the kid is a winner "manages" games well, and don't turn the ball over, with a great completion %. He is just a winner, beating Ohio St 2 years in a row is no small feat. It's very possible to add 15-20lbs in the pros and gets stronger.

Last edited:

12forlife

Reaction score
I agree. I'm just on the bus though that we will replace Pete after we finish the season and miss the playoffs. The new coach deserves to bring in his guy, and not try to prove he's our Coach with a Geno Smith type talent.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m not saying you’re wrong because more often than not this is how it plays out. But, look at the Texans. stroud completely turned that franchise around. If John is adamant he has his Stroud then I think you have to take him.

12forlife

Reaction score
I’m not saying you’re wrong because more often than not this is how it plays out. But, look at the Texans. stroud completely turned that franchise around. If John is adamant he has his Stroud then I think you have to take him.
Praise sweet 8lb 4oz baby Jesus! You sing it brotha!

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Both those guys could be very good NFL QB's. I dont believe Ewers comes out, unless Texas wins the national Championship
Yeah maybe the good thing is this particular draft could have enough QB talent to really show out past the first round.

Somehow I just think Pete feels having to take any QB in the first round is too risky, and maybe feels he "wins" if he can get a starter worthy QB in any round after the first, and I suspect that's how they'll play it, again...

He's also got too much of an eye for any shiny DB, always thinks he's one DB away from LOB2.

Thank god for the QB depth of this draft. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them work some deal for a different free agent QB next year. Depending on who, could be OK, but I'm not so sure they'll be as sold on Geno, depending on his availability and play this last four games. If he doesn't win at least 3, I think they'll be done with him.

12forlife

Reaction score
Yeah maybe the good thing is this particular draft could have enough QB talent to really show out past the first round.

Somehow I just think Pete feels having to take any QB in the first round is too risky, and maybe feels he "wins" if he can get a starter worthy QB in any round after the first, and I suspect that's how they'll play it, again...

He's also got too much of an eye for any shiny DB, always thinks he's one DB away from LOB2.

Thank god for the QB depth of this draft. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them work some deal for a different free agent QB next year. Depending on who, could be OK, but I'm not so sure they'll be as sold on Geno, depending on his availability and play this last four games. If he doesn't win at least 3, I think they'll be done with him.
I'm not sure I agree with your point? I don't understand why to many people argue "we will never go QB inthe First rd" How can you really say that when for a majority of Pete's tenure he had a top 5-10 QB in Wilson, so why would we use a premiere pick on a backup QB? Now u aswell as again to many all the sudden think all we look for in the 1st is CB's? Laughable Spoon was the only CB PC/JS have taken in the 1st rd. If you paid close attention PC/JS were very interested in Patrick Maholmes & Josh Allen, that is part of what ruffled Me3's feathers. If u also didn't notice Russell stopped saying "Go Hawks" at he end of interviews long before he was traded. Now where the Hawks screwed up was not drafting a project or 2 to replace Russ.

NoGain

Reaction score
This is probably a better place to post this...

I'm no QB scout, but it sure seems the Hawks should make a play for one of the top three QB's in the draft, Williams, Maye, or Daniels. It seems that Williams and Maye will go in the top three picks as of now, but if the Hawks either jump the Falcons, Saints, and Raiders and move up in the draft, or swing a deal to move up ahead of such QB needy teams just above them, they might get a shot at Daniels.

It's still way early, but I'm already thinking about such things. LOL

Fade

Reaction score
The hit rate on QBs after the first round is terrible to the point of it being reckless to depend on. People mention getting Russ in the third, but do you know who the last franchise QB drafted in the third round was? Russ, 11 years ago. How many have been found in the sixth since Brady? None, unless you consider Tyrod Taylor a franchise QB. Literally none in the 5th round since Bob Waterfield in 1944. Washington is hoping they have the next in Howell.
Yeah, it's pretty scant.

2000 - Brady, 6th
2003 - Romo, Undrafted
2012 - Russell Wilson, 3rd
2012 - Kirk Cousins, 4th (Borderline)
2016 - Dak Prescott, 4th
2022 - Purdy, 7th (We'll see.)

You get about 1 every half decade on average. With a LOT of QBs being drafted in between.

The 1st round, the odds are better, but 80% of them bust as well, if your standard is Franchise QB, and not Chad Pennington.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty scant.

2000 - Brady, 6th
2003 - Romo, Undrafted
2016 - Dak Prescott, 4th

You get about 1 every half decade on average. With a LOT of QBs being drafted in between.

The 1st round, the odds are better, but 80% of them bust as well,
if your standard is Franchise QB, and not Chad Pennington.
There we go..
A great piece of imfo as to why I don't waste high picks trying until
I have the lines covered and holes filled.
I have no issue(s) drafting one 3rd or lower until then but then again
they only get 4 yrs(no option year) .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
But i think you’re missing the spirit of his post.

What good is Williams or Mahomes himself with this defense? You can have a star take a mediocre defense all the way but no one can make up for this level of play.

You can prove that because NOBODY could have scored more points than Geno did against Dallas. It’s almost impossible. One stop and we win that game. Didn’t happen.

Then like cincy or BUF, if you miss the window during the ‘cheaper’ years of star QB play, you’re going to be up against the wall to pay him mega dollars and build a SB roster in the process after.
Yep, "Build it And They Will Come"

renofox

Reaction score
PCJS have a horrible track record of gaining value from their own 1st round picks.

2010.6 Okung
2011.25 Carpenter
2012.15 Irvin
2013.25 (+2 picks) Harvin
2014.32 (multiple trade downs for crap)
2015.31 (+Unger) Graham
2016.26 Ifedi
2017.26 (multiple trade downs for crap)
2018.18 (trade to .26 for Penny+crap)
2019.21 (lots of trades, .29 Collier)
2020.27 Brooks
2021.23 Adams
2022.10 Adams
2023.20 JSN

That's a whole lot of capital spent on almost nothing. They could have bundled 1st rounders to move up lots of times. They should have moved up in 2023. They BETTER move up in 2024 for a shot at a QBOTF. It's not like they'd be giving up anything of real value, based on their history.

Take a shot. If you miss, try again.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I agree. I'm just on the bus though that we will replace Pete after we finish the season and miss the playoffs. The new coach deserves to bring in his guy, and not try to prove he's our Coach with a Geno Smith type talent.

Yeah, it's pretty scant.

2000 - Brady, 6th
2003 - Romo, Undrafted
2016 - Dak Prescott, 4th

The 1st round, the odds are better, but 80% of them bust as well, if your standard is Franchise QB, and not Chad Pennington.
All that really says is you have to take your shot. It's kind of like trying to hit a home run in baseball. More often than not, you fail, but when you succeed, there's nothing better. You have to swing for the fences, or you'll be sitting in the dugout watching the other teams hitting homers and rounding the bases most of the time. Ok, I'm done with the tired and over-used baseball analogy. Bleh. But the point is apt.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Immediately after letting RW go $$$ P&J addressed the Oline in the 22 Draft = Cross & Lucas, Lewis did damned good before getting moved to the other side, the 23 Draft = Olu-Olu & Bradford and NONE of these guys are "Mid Level Retreads" Geno is an interim/Placeholder- You Have to "Play The Cards in Your Hand".
The FACT that they were interested and trying to get Mahomes tells me that they know the kind of talent the Seahawks need and will TRY to go after....WHEN AVAILABLE

Jac

Reaction score
All that really says is you have to take your shot. It's kind of like trying to hit a home run in baseball. More often than not, you fail, but when you succeed, there's nothing better. You have to swing for the fences, or you'll be sitting in the dugout watching the other teams hitting homers and rounding the bases most of the time. Ok, I'm done with the tired and over-used baseball analogy. Bleh. But the point is apt.

I just don't understand the sentiment that gets expressed on this site of "don't draft a QB because it's hard to draft a QB".