Doug Baldwin’s Diary of Super Bowl XLVIII

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/05/doug-baldwin-super-bowl-xlviii-seahawks-diary/?eref=sihp

1:49 p.m.
In the banquet room, I sit next to Kam Chancellor, my teammate and close friend. He tells me their goals on defense. I tell him our goal as receivers is to make Marshawn Lynch the MVP. I remind him that if Marshawn wins it, everything has worked out like we planned it. Then something catches our attention. The TV sitting adjacent to us is airing ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown, and the analysts are making their Super Bowl predictions. Ray Lewis is the only one of the four picking us to win it. Suzy Kolber, Steve Young and Trent Dilfer all picked against us. Kam and I look at each other, and without saying a word, we take our phones and capture that moment. The fire that was already intensely burning inside is now being stoked. I have to contain it. When I look at my brother Kam’s face, I see anger exuding from his pores. I’m sure he can see the same from mine. I head back to my room.

espn-picks.jpg

4:20 p.m.

I take my lap around the stadium to warm up my legs and survey the land. Yep, 100 yards by 53-and-a-third. Just as I had thought. I catch up to Sherm. He tosses me the ball. We continue to toss it to each other as we jog back and forth down each sideline. Then we set up in our corner where he tosses me a few jump balls. I do the same for him. Then we come together, give each other a hug, tell each other, “Have a day,” and go our separate ways.

sherm-doug-embrace.jpg

9:23 p.m.

I’m thinking, Get in the end zone! On this play, the call is a zone-beater. We know the Broncos like to play corners over, but they sometimes check to cover-4 when we motion the receiver over. This is the perfect play for us against this defensive look. We ended up going to this play twice in the game. I make the catch, make tacklers miss and then dive across the goal line. The 10-yard touchdown catch gives us our 43-8 lead. How many guys can say they’ve scored a touchdown in the Super Bowl?

baldwin-td.jpg

[youtube]FoOKDzr0P-g[/youtube]

Latest posts