Donkeys interested in Bevell

Status
Not open for further replies.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":240kv8vj said:
WindCityHawk":240kv8vj said:
One good game after a season of garbage is grounds for an extension? You're a generous boss! Can I work you? I'll be late and incompetent Monday through Thursday, but Friday I'll really shine and expect a raise.
Point being that it's just as incredulous to hear any talk of firing when this team has won 10 games each of the past 5 years and is hosting a playoff game. As far as my hiring policy, how's your work ethic and will you bring donuts in the morning every Thursday?

Cherry picking stats. The team had great special teams and defense throughout most of that. And Lynch, who turned sporatic run blocking into a consistant run game. How about we look at their rz%, 3 and out %, broken play %. I would like to see their rank on % empty sets on 3rd and short.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Do some of you people even know Pete's philosophy? Maybe you are all new to the team, I don't know.
But I do know that to completely dismiss the offense's contributions to the success we've enjoyed the past 5 seasons is utterly nonsensical and small minded. As Left Hand just stated, Doug set a single-season franchise record for receptions and I think Russ got into some elite company for career passing.
The more I think of it, with the way our offensive line has struggled, this could be one of Bevell's best years for helping to hold the offense together and put up enough points to get to another 10-win season.

cymatica

Reaction score
I heard Bevell has been saving a secret play for the post season. It's called the Flea Runner. The HB just keeps it after a fake tossback. No one will ever see it coming.

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1kernc12 said:
Do some of you people even know Pete's philosophy? Maybe you are all new to the team, I don't know.
But I do know that to completely dismiss the offense's contributions to the success we've enjoyed the past 5 seasons is utterly nonsensical and small minded. As Left Hand just stated, Doug set a single-season franchise record for receptions and I think Russ got into some elite company for career passing.
The more I think of it, with the way our offensive line has struggled, this could be one of Bevell's best years for helping to hold the offense together and put up enough points to get to another 10-win season.

You are dismissing Russell Wilson's contribution to the offense that has nothing to do with Bevell. Receptions are cool, I guess. Is ADB anywhere near his TD total of last year?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seahawks4eva":36z8ttg7 said:
Siouxhawk":36z8ttg7 said:

You are dismissing Russell Wilson's contribution to the offense that has nothing to do with Bevell. Receptions are cool, I guess. Is ADB anywhere near his TD total of last year?
This year, because of his injuries and a less-than-serviceable offensive line, Russ has, in fact, stayed more within the confines of the play call while operating the offense. And even when he is improvising, each player is schooled up on what to do in those breakout situations. They actually do practice and prepare for that kind of stuff.
And lastly, you do realize that the plan all along has been to give Russ more freedoms in reading defenses and then checking out of a play with an audible if he feels the alternative might work better? It's been an ongoing process. I think we had to pump the brakes a little this year to deal with Russ' injuries and trying to keep him healthy, but this has been the plan. And what does that take? Preparing with Bevell and Karl Smith throughout the week and being cohesive in coming up with a gameplan. We'll see more of this as we go.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Mr Turner, Mr Norv turner, please pick up the action green courtesy phone.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Donkeys won't take Bevell, one they're not stupid, 2 they're not stupid, 3 I can only assume he is the worst interview ever. These teams clearly don't watch hawk games cause they bring him in so he has that going for him, he's been gifted a superbowl credential based on little of his actual doing, he's got a future hof coach vouching for him god knows why and somehow he's back on our sideline taking halves off. What does he try to sign a hc contract with a crayon, how is he botching this up so many times. For the love of hawks football somebody please take him off our hands

nash72

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":388vanbk said:
Seahawks4eva":388vanbk said:
Sioux, ever heard of cognitive dissonance?
He thinks that makes him smart when in fact it just under utilizes our highest talent players.
Our highest talented, best paid players on Offense both set records this season!

Yep. 'Nobody was expecting that..'

We cant run the ball so those records arent surprising. They were made out of necessity of circumstances other than great play calling.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
nash72":366m0go6 said:
LeftHandSmoke":366m0go6 said:
Seahawks4eva":366m0go6 said:
Sioux, ever heard of cognitive dissonance?
He thinks that makes him smart when in fact it just under utilizes our highest talent players.
Our highest talented, best paid players on Offense both set records this season!

Yep. 'Nobody was expecting that..'

We cant run the ball so those records arent surprising. They were made out of necessity of circumstances other than great play calling.

Yup, can't believe they're chalking this up to great play calling. Russ throws the most passes of his career and puts up the most yards. Shocking twist. Russ favorite target has a career year in a year Russ throws up his most pass attempts, another shocker. Russ also put up a high in interceptions and less tds than in years past so is that on Bevell, probably not those are on Russ, only the positives go to Bevell.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
flmmkrz":w24669dg said:
Yup, can't believe they're chalking this up to great play calling. Russ throws the most passes of his career and puts up the most yards. Shocking twist. Russ favorite target has a career year in a year Russ throws up his most pass attempts, another shocker. Russ also put up a high in interceptions and less tds than in years past so is that on Bevell, probably not those are on Russ, only the positives go to Bevell.
What negatives? The negatives you don't see on some fantasy planet where there is no real Defense to play against, RW throws 60 TDs a game, and Jimmy catches them all with basketball blockouts? Sheesh, dream on!

Conversely, the whole argument about 'is it RW or is it Bevell?' for the positives, the record-setters, is like so many arguments here: a false dichotomy. Lots goes into how any play-design develops.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There seems to be some created excuse for Bevell that on the surface looks plausible.

Yes, Bevell has not been given much of a line to work with recently. And the results have been wanting.

But, in the past he had a fairly effective line, one of the great RB of all time, and a tremendously dangerous QB.

And with all those pieces he did produce a fairly effective offense. But he also could take more chances with one of the greatest defenses and one of the greatest secondaries ever. Additionally all the turnovers created gave him some short fields.

Either way, pretending that his production with the Seahawks is effective is disingenuous. The issue is, his problems predate the Seahawks.

He did the same crap with the Vikings, squandering another collection of offensive talent back then. Ask any Vikings fan that was around for it.

So this is not an issue with the OL or lack of support, IT IS AN ISSUE WITH HIM. It is HIS weakness not to be able to adjust to the strengths/weaknesses in the matchup. And it is a weakness that while seemingly frustrating now, he had on the other team too. Only the tremendous near inhuman effectiveness of guys like Lynch and peak scramble power Russel Wilson managed to offset that.

So sure. We handled the line like idiots.

But Bevell has been doing dumb since way before the Seahawks. Trying to pretend this is all lack of a good hand on his part is just misdirection from the real problem.

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1t2ajd1e said:
Seahawks4eva":1t2ajd1e said:
Siouxhawk":1t2ajd1e said:

This year, because of his injuries and a less-than-serviceable offensive line, Russ has, in fact, stayed more within the confines of the play call while operating the offense. And even when he is improvising, each player is schooled up on what to do in those breakout situations. They actually do practice and prepare for that kind of stuff.
And lastly, you do realize that the plan all along has been to give Russ more freedoms in reading defenses and then checking out of a play with an audible if he feels the alternative might work better? It's been an ongoing process. I think we had to pump the brakes a little this year to deal with Russ' injuries and trying to keep him healthy, but this has been the plan. And what does that take? Preparing with Bevell and Karl Smith throughout the week and being cohesive in coming up with a gameplan. We'll see more of this as we go.

You are fighting my argument for me. He has had to stay within the confines more this year because of injuries and how has our offense looked this year compared to previous Russell years?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":z7rmwfov said:
There seems to be some created excuse for Bevell that on the surface looks plausible.

Yes, Bevell has not been given much of a line to work with recently. And the results have been wanting.

But, in the past he had a fairly effective line, one of the great RB of all time, and a tremendously dangerous QB.

And with all those pieces he did produce a fairly effective offense. But he also could take more chances with one of the greatest defenses and one of the greatest secondaries ever. Additionally all the turnovers created gave him some short fields.

Either way, pretending that his production with the Seahawks is effective is disingenuous. The issue is, his problems predate the Seahawks.

He did the same crap with the Vikings, squandering another collection of offensive talent back then. Ask any Vikings fan that was around for it.

So this is not an issue with the OL or lack of support, IT IS AN ISSUE WITH HIM. It is HIS weakness not to be able to adjust to the strengths/weaknesses in the matchup. And it is a weakness that while seemingly frustrating now, he had on the other team too. Only the tremendous near inhuman effectiveness of guys like Lynch and peak scramble power Russel Wilson managed to offset that.

So sure. We handled the line like idiots.

But Bevell has been doing dumb since way before the Seahawks. Trying to pretend this is all lack of a good hand on his part is just misdirection from the real problem.

Once again, accuracy seems to be an issue for you.

How did he squander talent with the Vikings? Every year that team improved during his tenure with the zenith being the NFC Championship game in 2009. In that game against the Saints, the Vikes made 6 turnovers, but were still within range of a Longwell field goal and a trip to the Super Bowl before Favre does what Favre usually does and threw an across-his-body pass to Sidney Rice ... when he had Bernard Berrian open for a first down ... only to have it picked off in a game that would conclude in a tie and a Saints win.

Adrian Peterson had some nice years leading up to 2009, but the talent wasn't all that strong on the rest of the team, especially with quarterbacks the like of Brad Johnson, Gus Frerotte, Brooks Bollinger and Tarvaris Jackson, who I was happy with as the Seahawks backup, but as a starter in those first years with the Vikes he was pretty inconsistent.

With the Hawks, Bevell has helped lead this team to the pinnacle of franchise history. Even this year goes down as sixth-best Seahawks year of all time. People who want him to go are just out to lunch.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Seahawks4eva":3fe8oz9h said:
Siouxhawk":3fe8oz9h said:
Seahawks4eva":3fe8oz9h said:
Siouxhawk":3fe8oz9h said:

You are fighting my argument for me. He has had to stay within the confines more this year because of injuries and how has our offense looked this year compared to previous Russell years?

//thread//

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Without Russ, he managed 7-9 in his first year with the Seahawks. Oh my God, what high effectiveness! This, after showing his absolute incompetence in Minne with such mediocre talent as Brett Favre, Percy Harvin, and Adrian Peterson (all at once). With Russ, the only part of his offense that has EVER worked is the scramble drill. In other words, THE PART WHERE HIS DAMN OFFENSE ISN'T WORKING AND THE RAW ABILITY OF RUSS IS SAVING HIS SORRY ASS! I don't know how to get through to you people except for shouting. What is wrong with some of you people?!?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
With Minny,

Go back and look at the pieces of that offense.

Then go back and look at the effectiveness of that offense, specifically when it mattered.

You, me and the dog could have made an offense effective with some of the amazing offensive players that Minny had.

Again, go ask a Minnesota fan about how they feel about Bevell. They will be happy to tell you.

Bevell is a lead weight, someone that makes the job harder not easier. But with great players, he CAN put up great #s. The problem is that he had to have clearly better players to produce anything of note.

Now that we do not, we are not getting even a top half effectiveness offense.

I give some of you points for consistency, with an unswerving dedication to Bevell regardless of results, ability, or the rest. But this team would produce better with an effective OC instead of an ineffective one. And Bevell is an ineffective OC.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
You are never going to change Siouxhawks mind. It has been laid out right in front of him, but is wholly dismissed. Just ignore him. He looks at win record and makes that his argument that bevell is good. Running the ball up the gut on 3rd and 20, bubble screens that never go anywhere, long developing plays behind one of if not the worst line in the league when you haven't pushed them back with short "hot route" passing...the list goes on and on. Poor gameplanning is brutally apparent to anyone paying attention to the actual plays. Let it go, he will never see it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":abynh7ps said:
With Minny,

Go back and look at the pieces of that offense.

Then go back and look at the effectiveness of that offense, specifically when it mattered.

You, me and the dog could have made an offense effective with some of the amazing offensive players that Minny had.

Again, go ask a Minnesota fan about how they feel about Bevell. They will be happy to tell you.

Bevell is a lead weight, someone that makes the job harder not easier. But with great players, he CAN put up great #s. The problem is that he had to have clearly better players to produce anything of note.

Now that we do not, we are not getting even a top half effectiveness offense.

I give some of you points for consistency, with an unswerving dedication to Bevell regardless of results, ability, or the rest. But this team would produce better with an effective OC instead of an ineffective one. And Bevell is an ineffective OC.
Here's the thing, I live amongst those Vikings fans you speak and not one will besmirch Bevell. Many had a disdain for Childress, but that was erroneous judgement too (and not of topic here), and they were happy when he was shown the door. How's that worked out for them the past 6 years?

On point, as OC of the VIkes, Bevell's teams did make the playoffs in 2008 and 2009. As I said before, Adrian put up some pretty good numbers, but guys like Sidney and Percy didn't really explode onto the scene until Favre rode up on his white horse in 2009. Then, yeah, it was NFC CHampionship Game time and a date with Bountygate Greg Williams' style.

Earlier in his tenure there, the team mirrored the early days of Pete's stay here and built itself through its defense and the run game. Adrian and Chester Taylor got the bulk of the load, but the offensive line wasn't anything great and so the team tried winning defensive battles. It was a work in progress, but major steps were being taken from the days of the Vikings' Love Boat scandal, which was one of the reason the Wilfs brought Childress on board, to get rid of the malcontents from that era and build respectability.

You also have to remember that Bev's role in Minnesota was quite a bit different as Childress, being an offensive guy, had his hands on designing plays and calling the plays on game days. Bev's role is kind of what Childress' role in Kansas City is now, with Andy Reid calling plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts