Do you think Lockett is #1 receiver potential?

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Lockett is becoming all the things we hoped Harvin would be. That might be a better comp. Maybe not the same straight line speed, but all the return ability and all the explosiveness downfield, with much better route running.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
What does #1 even mean these days, though?

To be honest, I would say Martavis Bryant is turning into a prototypical #1 for Pittsburgh. He is closer to the Megatron, Dez, Julio Jones, AJ Green mold.

But Antonio Brown is the better football player. He just doesn't fit the mold.

If "#1" just means "great football player" these days, then yeah, Lockett is certainly on that tract. But he isn't the "physical specimen" type receiver that you normally associate with that term. But neither is Brown.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Well, we haven't had a true #1 WR for a decade or more, so for the Seahawks he probably could fit right in.

I don't think he can ever be THE GUY who still puts up numbers despite being double-teamed with no help from anyone else.

He is certainly a good WR to have in an offense that spreads the ball around.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The dude is mega tough. Two weeks in a row he took bone crunching hits, made the catch and held on to the ball, and popped up. Most receivers would have stayed on the ground. He definitely is a threat to opposing defenses and you'll see defenses game plan to stop him very quickly.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
You can tell you're on a Seahawks forum when...

Reality check. Tyler Lockett is no more a #1 WR than the 50 other WRs with potential in the NFL and the reality is that not many actually turn out to be WRs in that echelon.

Does Lockett have the "potential"? Sure. Every small speedy WR is Antonio Brown if you want them to be, just like every 6th round QB can turn into Tom Brady.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1hmyu2te said:
Yep. He's screamed #1 receiver to me from day one. I was stoked when we drafted him and he has been better than expected week after week. Kid's gonna be a superstar.
Sailor nailed it! :th2thumbs:
I watched his tapes from k-state after the Hawks drafted him, and he jumped off the film.
I said that day he'd be the steal of the draft and still feel that way. He is a rookie but he is playing like a 10 year veteran.
Always in the right place at the right time. :D

hawkfan68

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2brleaus said:
You can tell you're on a Seahawks forum when...

Reality check. Tyler Lockett is no more a #1 WR than the 50 other WRs with potential in the NFL and the reality is that not many actually turn out to be WRs in that echelon.

Does Lockett have the "potential"? Sure. Every small speedy WR is Antonio Brown if you want them to be, just like every 6th round QB can turn into Tom Brady.

Labeling a player as #1 WR is extremely subjective. In my opinion the number #1 receiver is the most clutch guy on the team. Someone you can always go to for that needed play. From a Seahawk perspective, Lockett and Baldwin have showed that. Some people try to put the #1 Wr in a box based on physical attributes but guys like TY Hilton, Brown, Landry have changed that thinking. Hell Largent wasn't the biggest guy but he was #1 WR.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Going into the draft, I had him ranked as a top 2 route runner, with Cooper. I think I'd still prefer Parker, but right now have Lockett as my #3 rookie WR neck and neck with Diggs.

Watching film, he just had the it factor, ability to get open, and seemed like a perfect fit for Wilson in the pocket or on scramble drill.

In my 6 dynasty leagues, I grabbed him in 3 and wish I had him in all. I don't think he'll ever put up top numbers in our offense, but he's a guy that you want on your team and could easily be our WR1 whatever that means.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think the Antonio Brown comparisons are spot on. I'm not saying he's there yet, but there are definite similarities.

Both are the same size, have great hands, and are elite at using routes and their body to set up defenders for initial moves as well as second moves.

As for the Ginn comparisons, the straight line speed might be similar. Baldwin ran something like a 4.4 forty yet Lockett looks a lot faster than him in a straight line.

The biggest difference is Ginn has great straight line speed, but he's not quick, he's definitely not quick out of his breaks, and like others have mentioned, has marginal hands.

Where Lockett excels physically, is that he's got good straight line speed combined with elite quickness. He looks every bit as quick to me as Baldwin, and Baldwin has elite quickness. Baldwin's 3 cone time was 2nd all time at the combine, and he was top 3 all time in most of the other quickness drills. He might be tops in the 7 cone, I can't remember.

One other good thing about Lockett and Baldwin (and Brown) are that they have elite acceleration. Tate was good at this, even though he was considered having average to above average top end speed. Harvin had elite acceleration. People always talked about him being one of the fastest players in the league, yet he timed in the 4.4s at the combine. Thing is, he was there in 2 steps.

There's definitely different kinds of speed, and I'd take acceleration over top end speed. It creates better separation more quickly.

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":18rt5hb0 said:

To be honest, I would say Martavis Bryant is turning into a prototypical #1 for Pittsburgh. He is closer to the Megatron, Dez, Julio Jones, AJ Green mold.

If "#1" just means "great football player" these days, then yeah, Lockett is certainly on that tract. But he isn't the "physical specimen" type receiver that you normally associate with that term. But neither is Brown.

I think you may be slightly confusing the definition. I don't know of anyone who has meant a #1 WR is 6'2+. In my opinion the best WRs in order are as follows:
OBJ 5'11
Antonio Brown 5'11
Julio Jones 6'3
Dez Bryant 6'3
DeAndre Hopkins 6'0

Of those top 5 3 of them are less than 6'2...

Maybe it's just me, but when I think of prototypical WR I think of a guy who gets constant separation and always catches the ball... I don't think of a huge WR.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I do think Lockett has the potential of a #1 type WR. He actually reminds me a lot of another small and slightly built speedster, Marvin Harrison. Obviously speed is an element to both of their games but Lockett like Harrison is much more than just a fast guy. It's more his pristine routes and his knowledge and understanding of how to use routes to beat defenders and coverages that reminds me so much of Harrison. Hope he can continue to stay healthy and keep his passion for the game burning so bright, because the talent is there, no doubt.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
lukerguy":230g1oqr said:
DavidSeven":230g1oqr said:

I think you may be slightly confusing the definition. I don't know of anyone who has meant a #1 WR is 6'2+. In my opinion the best WRs in order are as follows:
OBJ 5'11
Antonio Brown 5'11
Julio Jones 6'3
Dez Bryant 6'3
DeAndre Hopkins 6'0

Maybe it's just me, but when I think of prototypical WR I think of a guy who gets constant separation and always catches the ball... I don't think of a huge WR.

I always find this baffling. I heard this on first take as well.

How can anyone seriously but any receiver over Antonio brown?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":276oudma said:
lukerguy":276oudma said:
DavidSeven":276oudma said:

OBJ 5'11
Antonio Brown 5'11
Julio Jones 6'3
Dez Bryant 6'3
DeAndre Hopkins 6'0

The definition has definitely shifted over the years, but typically in the past when people referred to the #1 WR position people were talking about the X receiver. The X receiver, or split end, is lined up on the line of scrimmage meaning the defense has a chance to jam him at the line of scrimmage. The Z receiver on the opposite side of the field, or flanker, does not line up on the line of scrimmage meaning the defense cannot jam him right off the line. Also the Z receiver can go into motion, which also adds difficulty to the defense jamming the Z on the line of scrimmage.

So when looking at these to positions, there have been traditionally 2 different body types or skill sets that have been desired. For the X, teams want big bodied WRs that are able to get off the jam, and use strength and size to get separation. For the Z, teams want smaller more agile players that use speed and quickness to get separation since they typically aren't seeing the same amount of physical resistance that the X is seeing.

Now that is not to say that big guys don't play Z and small guys don't play X. If a big guy isn't great at getting off of jams, but is good in motion, he might play more Z. If a small guy excels at getting of the jam, and has a "my ball" mentality so he can out play guys to the ball, he might play more X. It is just in general, skill sets follow body types.

But...

As fantasy football has gained popularity the definition of #1 WR has shifted, mostly due to misunderstanding. People will refer to high scoring WRs, that fall in the top 10-12 players in scoring as #1 WR because they are generally considered the best (or #1 WR) on a fantasy football player's team.

So saying that guys like Antonio Brown and Beckham Jr. are #1 WRs fits more into the fantasy football line of thinking. On their respective teams, guys like Bryant (PIT) and Randle (NYG) are actually the #1 WRs in the traditional sense, due to where they line up.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Excellent.

ringless

Reaction score
I think John Brown would be the best comparison to be honest. Similar combine results of my memory is correct.
John Brown has just had one more year to gel, however they are in completely different offenses.

I don't think you could compare Lockett to Antonio Brown yet by any stretch of the imagination. And ODB is putting up Jerry Rice type numbers.

I don't see Lockett being the #1 guy on your team but like a few other posters have said everyone has a different definition of what that is.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
ringless":72g5so5p said:
I think John Brown would be the best comparison to be honest. Similar combine results of my memory is correct.
John Brown has just had one more year to gel, however they are in completely different offenses.

I don't think you could compare Lockett to Antonio Brown yet by any stretch of the imagination
. And ODB is putting up Jerry Rice type numbers.

I don't see Lockett being the #1 guy on your team but like a few other posters have said everyone has a different definition of what that is.

On the contrary this is a worthwhile comparison and Tyler Lockett could be every bit as successful in this league. If you get a chance, watch him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ringless":36twm3r4 said:

I don't think you could compare Lockett to Antonio Brown yet by any stretch of the imagination. And ODB is putting up Jerry Rice type numbers.

No one is saying he's as good as Antonio Brown, but the comparison is apt.

Physically, they're carbon copies.

They play very similarly as well. Both are very quick, but not "elite" or world class track speed fast for their top end. Both are very sudden in and out of breaks, and have elite quickness to make tacklers miss. Both have very good hands. Both Baldwin and Lockette are among the top 10 in the NFL for the fewest drops. Both Brown and Lockett are very polished route runners. Both use their bodies very well to set up defenders.

Brown returns punts now, but not kickoffs.

Watching Lockett's production as a rookie, in a run first offense where he doesn't get a lot of reps, plus he didn't get a lot of game reps at WR to start the year, the potential is definitely there. He leads all rookie WRs in TD receptions. He's the first rookie in the NFL to have a kick return TD, a punt return TD, and 5 receiving TD's.

A

Anonymous

Seafan":3duy7drb said:
I love the numbered receiver threads. Technically the slot receiver is your #3 and that is Baldwin. But you can argue he is actually the Hawks #1. Or he's #2. I guess Lockett could be #1 if Baldwin doesn't mind.

IMO the #1 receiver is your go to guy. I believe that RW has confidence in going to Kearse, Baldwin and Lockett. This team doesn't have a true #1.

Wait a 2nd, #1? Sure he is, but it's up to #3.

#1, he's 2 much of a stud not 2. #2, he's got great hands (2 of them). #3, he's fast.

So it's as easy as 1, 2, 3, for him 2 be #1.

:34853_tinfoil:

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Hawks46":19t0ezdc said:
ringless":19t0ezdc said:

No one is saying he's as good as Antonio Brown, but the comparison is apt.

Physically, they're carbon copies.

They play very similarly as well. Both are very quick, but not "elite" or world class track speed fast for their top end. Both are very sudden in and out of breaks, and have elite quickness to make tacklers miss. Both have very good hands. Both Baldwin and Lockette are among the top 10 in the NFL for the fewest drops. Both Brown and Lockett are very polished route runners. Both use their bodies very well to set up defenders.

Brown returns punts now, but not kickoffs.

Watching Lockett's production as a rookie, in a run first offense where he doesn't get a lot of reps, plus he didn't get a lot of game reps at WR to start the year, the potential is definitely there. He leads all rookie WRs in TD receptions. He's the first rookie in the NFL to have a kick return TD, a punt return TD, and 5 receiving TD's.

Second.

Latest posts