Direct snap to injured rb on 2nd and long (with backup center)

getnasty

Reaction score
I think Geno checked into the call so not sure Shane can be blamed but sure was a bizarre play at the time.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Or if Waldron did call the play why didn't Geno check out of that. You can't call a play like that backed up to our goal line.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Or if Waldron did call the play why didn't Geno check out of that. You can't call a play like that backed up to our goal line.
He'd have to have a valid reason for checking out of it based on the defensive look. It'd be insubordination otherwise.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
He'd have to have a valid reason for checking out of it based on the defensive look. It'd be insubordination otherwise.
There was Valid reason the steelers were coming for the run play, you could see them playing down in the box. Plays just don't work ln those situations so what ever the case we have got be better than that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Waldron was an attempt to hop on the Rams tree train too late. We got there right as the well of McVay tree coaching talent was ending.

Offenses living in 11 personnel are dying like Fangio disciple defenses are. Shanahan-tree 21 personnel teams are the new wave.

Similar to Fangio, McVay is the only one who can run it well now, other than his disciple Zac Taylor who runs it to good effect on the back of 3 excellent receivers.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There was Valid reason the steelers were coming for the run play, you could see them playing down in the box. Plays just don't work ln those situations so what ever the case we have got be better than that.
It was a 6 man box with a likely-bailing (he did end up bailing) safety standing up in the A-gap.

Pittsburgh wasn't sold out against the run. I don't agree with the playcall in that situation as I'd rather just play conventional offense at that stage, but it wasn't without merit.

The direct snap was designed to misdirect. Geno's fake is to motion like the ball sailed to get the edge rushers to break contain and rush straight into the backfield, leaving a strong box advantage to Seattle.

They had the look they would've needed to call that, which is why it was likely an installed and planned situational check to begin with.

EDIT: Adding pictures to illustrate. 6 man box with a seventh man just outside the box, well outside of the left tackle.

PRE-SNAP: 6 man box with a seventh man just outside the box, well outside of the left tackle.

POST-SNAP: Geno has done the fake. The edges are rushing relatively straight into the backfield and contain has been broken. K9 is supposed to have the ball by this point and be running toward this offensively-advantaged box with momentum, and has room to navigate a modest to potentially decent gain.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m in the minority but I think Waldron is much better than people realize.

That play call if it was called was stupid though

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
It was a 6 man box with a likely-bailing (he did end up bailing) safety standing up in the A-gap.

Pittsburgh wasn't sold out against the run. I don't agree with the playcall in that situation as I'd rather just play conventional offense at that stage, but it wasn't without merit.

The direct snap was designed to misdirect. Geno's fake is to motion like the ball sailed to get the edge rushers to break contain and rush straight into the backfield, leaving a strong box advantage to Seattle.

They had the look they would've needed to call that, which is why it was likely an installed and planned situational check to begin with.

EDIT: Adding pictures to illustrate. 6 man box with a seventh man just outside the box, well outside of the left tackle.

PRE-SNAP: 6 man box with a seventh man just outside the box, well outside of the left tackle.

View attachment 62913

POST-SNAP: Geno has done the fake. The edges are rushing relatively straight into the backfield and contain has been broken. K9 is supposed to have the ball by this point and be running toward this offensively-advantaged box with momentum, and has room to navigate a modest to potentially decent gain.

View attachment 62914
The safety was playing the outside under ready to come up and stuff anything underneath.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I just don't know why we try and get cute. We were moving the ball decent enough. Just go out let our personal win match ups.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The safety was playing the outside under ready to come up and stuff anything underneath.
Killebrew (28) would've been the man to beat, as this play when run with the intended timing would've developed too quickly for Markus Golden (44) to arrest his momentum in time to affect K9 in the backfield.

Levi Wallace (29) retreats an additional 5 yards almost instantly upon the snap and Eric Rowe (25, safety aligned outside of the right tackle just beyond the box) runs into his zone toward the sideline when Parkinson embarks on his route into the flat.

None would've been in a position to make anything close to a TFL, and Killebrew's best effort would've had K9 stopped at about a 3 yard gain.

It's cute, but it would've just been a regular rushing gain if it were executed properly. I doubt they made any consideration to scrap plays like this when Olu came in, which would've helped.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Killebrew (28) would've been the man to beat, as this play when run with the intended timing would've developed too quickly for Markus Golden (44) to arrest his momentum in time to affect K9 in the backfield.

Levi Wallace (29) retreats an additional 5 yards almost instantly upon the snap and Eric Rowe (25, safety aligned outside of the right tackle just beyond the box) runs into his zone toward the sideline when Parkinson embarks on his route into the flat.

None would've been in a position to make anything close to a TFL, and Killebrew's best effort would've had K9 stopped at about a 3 yard gain.

It's cute, but it would've just been a regular rushing gain if it were executed properly. I doubt they made any consideration to scrap plays like this when Olu came in, which would've helped.
Put all of that aside, it's still a shit playcall. Why? Because it's a trick play with a backup center to a backup running back on second and long. Let's say the play has a ceiling of 5 yards and a floor of a turnover (which it almost was). Absolutely no reason to call it there. Dumb playcall dumb play braindead offensive decisions all game

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Put all of that aside, it's still a shit playcall. Why? Because it's a trick play with a backup center to a backup running back on second and long. Let's say the play has a ceiling of 5 yards and a floor of a turnover (which it almost was). Absolutely no reason to call it there. Dumb playcall dumb play braindead offensive decisions all game
I do agree that it wasn't an optimal playcall, and it isn't the type of call I'd focus on installing given the troubles we've had with offensive production. I think it was just a check they put in based on the film that they would've had as a potential big gainer, and they didn't think to remove it when Brown went down.

I can't call it a Waldron special in terms of when it was called, but I do have a problem with that sort of thing being on the docket at all with how poorly we've been operating elsewhere.

cymatica

Reaction score
I doubt they made any consideration to scrap plays like this when Olu came in, which would've helped.
It's the details and lack of awareness like that set this team up for failure. How are the players supposed to take their coaches seriously when they talk about execution and fundamentals when the coaches are incapable of it themselves?