Did Thomas play up to his old deal?

Boycie

Reaction score
Hawkfish":1khscimz said:
Thomas’ four-year, $40 million extension began in 2015. Yet, assuming Seattle misses the playoffs this season, he will have been hurt for 21 of the 68 games under that deal.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... both-lost/

Of course he lived up to his deal. Its not his fault he got hurt. He left everything he had on that field every time he played.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Someone yesterday on ESPN said that Thomas was rated #1 defensive player overall by PFF for this year.

So the answer is, yeah probably. Maybe easily.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkfish":hl6p3qe0 said:
Thomas’ four-year, $40 million extension began in 2015. Yet, assuming Seattle misses the playoffs this season, he will have been hurt for 21 of the 68 games under that deal.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... both-lost/

Yes he did IMO. I think you need to check your facts though. At seasons end he will have missed 17 total games under that deal and 12 are this season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Absolutely, without any doubt he did. He is one of the main reasons that the Seahawks have a SB win and two SB appearances in this decade.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Holding out through the mandatory min-camp and then doing the same during training camp isn't exactly holding up his part of the deal. Yes, he played hard but he was a distraction and he lost valuable time holding out.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I say yes.

In addition, he grossly overplayed his first deal at Seattle. When you look at his entire body of work and what he accomplished at Seattle, he was worth every cent.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No doubt about it.

Same as Kam, Sherm, and Bennett - Seattle dumped them because of age and injury risk, not because their play was declining. When the Rams waste us next week, just remember that that defense shut them down in their own house last year.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I'm not going to be too hard on Earl for skipping camp--at least not as part of his current deal. But here's the thing. He's aging, right? And presumably, he wants years AND a raise. You're not just paying for a good football player at that point, and to me, here's where he mishandled the situation--I don't hear anyone talking about it. This is the only franchise he's ever known and he's asking them to protect him. I get that, but if you're going to pay a long-tenured player who is about to start his decline, he has to equally protect the franchise. He has to be 110% IN for me to re-up him at that point. He has to be a battle-tested field general, a locker room God, and a poster child for how to succeed on his team. His antics took away from the role-model style of leader that should get the contract he was seeking. I feel like he listened to Sherman and other negative influences and it sent him down a path away from any deal he was seeking from us. Just one take on it.

Yes, he's earned every penny he's made from us--no question.

themunn

Reaction score
Players get hurt in football.
Aaron Rodgers missed 20% of the games in his last contract (the largest in NFL history when signed).
Don't remember anyone asking if he played up to his deal. In fact, actually, if I'm not mistaken, they rewarded that by making him the highest paid player in NFL history once again.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I think just about every second contract extension Seattle signed has paid off. Earl Thomas included.

Look at how far the Vikings Defense has fallen off after a year. Seattle was the top D for 4 years in a row, when much of that Defense were on their second contract.

In contrast, every 3rd contract extension has been pretty bad. Lynch, Kam, Bennett (Doug being an exception)... None of those contracts paid themselves off, which is why I think you saw the hesitation with Earl.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1qzdqxqd said:
Holding out through the mandatory min-camp and then doing the same during training camp isn't exactly holding up his part of the deal. Yes, he played hard but he was a distraction and he lost valuable time holding out.

I guess it depends on your definition of the question.

If we're talking strictly on field play, then absolutely Earl played up to his deal. We know this because he's been one of, if not THE highest rated safety in the league for the entire length of his contract, and even up until he got hurt Sunday.

But if we're taking into account continuing to be a team leader, locker room presence and helping the younger DB's learn how to be not only a great DB, but a great teammate? Nope, he didn't not live up to that part.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":botvkipa said:
But if we're taking into account continuing to be a team leader, locker room presence and helping the younger DB's learn how to be not only a great DB, but a great teammate? Nope, he didn't not live up to that part.

Amen. Exactly my point, and exactly why he didn't deserve to be re-upped.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Our Front Office has been "burned" so many times by players going down in their 3rd Contract that they are now very hesitant to offer anything "early". I can't blame them. As an employer in a small office when a staff member was out "sick", it places a heavy load on the rest of the staff. To my observation, the #1 headache for NFL teams is illness or injury.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
rjdriver":2qwrpgef said:
I say yes.

In addition, he grossly overplayed his first deal at Seattle. When you look at his entire body of work and what he accomplished at Seattle, he was worth every cent.

Agreed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WmHBonney":15lxq4cu said:
rjdriver":15lxq4cu said:
I say yes.

Agreed.

How can you grossly overplay being the highest paid safety in the league?

OP
OP
Hawkfish

Hawkfish

Reaction score
I say yes, too. Just taking the pulse of .NET after reading that article. BTW that was a copy and paste of part of the article.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Earl was well compensated but he earned every penny of it. He left it all on the field, both literally and figuratively.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":zsiozlg0 said:
WmHBonney":zsiozlg0 said:
rjdriver":zsiozlg0 said:
I say yes.

Agreed.

How can you grossly overplay being the highest paid safety in the league?

Read carefully.

1st deal in Seattle would be his rookie contract.