Did Kenneth Walker III watch Barry Sanders growing up?

toffee

Reaction score
I think we have a poor men's version of Barry Sanders. Barry was 5'8" 203 lbs, 4.37 sec for 40 yards; Walker is 5'9" 211 lbs, 4.38 sec for 40 yards. They both played three years of college and had one good season. Barry was the best of all time, if Walker could be anyway close to Sanders, we got ourself an excellent back.

Barry

Walker

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Considering Sanders retired in 1998 and Walker wasn’t born until 2000, I doubt he watched him growing up, other than YouTube highlights.

As far as a comparison goes, size and speed is very similar. Their running styles are very different. Sanders could cut and change direction like no other. Our own Curt Warner was closest to Sanders in terms of running style.

KW3 reminds me more of Walter Payton in terms of actual running style. I’m extremely excited about this guy and his potential. This draft class looks like it could be a really good one and it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Walker ends up the crown jewel of the class.

Rat

Reaction score
They're nowhere near similar. That comparison is unfair to one and an insult to the other.

Best comparison I can think of is DeAngelo Williams. Maybe a more compact Clinton Portis.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can't wait to see this kid play. I remember watching that game vs. Michigan where he scored 5 TD's. Made the defense look silly, all day long.

Reactions: Rat
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Considering Sanders retired in 1998 and Walker wasn’t born until 2000, I doubt he watched him growing up, other than YouTube highlights.

As far as a comparison goes, size and speed is very similar. Their running styles are very different. Sanders could cut and change direction like no other. Our own Curt Warner was closest to Sanders in terms of running style.

KW3 reminds me more of Walter Payton in terms of actual running style. I’m extremely excited about this guy and his potential. This draft class looks like it could be a really good one and it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Walker ends up the crown jewel of the class.
I agree with you!!! I did see a few clips where KW3 cut and twist, but Sanders or Payton, I think we got ourself a very nice RB, totally excited.

Spohawks

Reaction score
It is really hard to compare RBs but I think you will see a Shawn Alexander Jr. out there. One more strong draft of Olinemen and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Dude won Camp award and Doak award. Player of the year and Running back of the year...he has potential!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It is really hard to compare RBs but I think you will see a Shawn Alexander Jr. out there. One more strong draft of Olinemen and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Dude won Camp award and Doak award. Player of the year and Running back of the year...he has potential!
Walker has better stop and start moves than Alexander. SA is one of my all time favorite Seahawks, but I see more cutback and change of direction abilities in KW3 than what SA possessed. Alexander’s running style was perfect for running behind Jones and Hutch. He was more smooth and anticipatory in hitting the open lanes.
Walker, from what I have seen possesses some of the same abilities as SA but can cut on a dime quicker than SA could.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Walker has better stop and start moves than Alexander. SA is one of my all time favorite Seahawks, but I see more cutback and change of direction abilities in KW3 than what SA possessed. Alexander’s running style was perfect for running behind Jones and Hutch. He was more smooth and anticipatory in hitting the open lanes.
Walker, from what I have seen possesses some of the same abilities as SA but can cut on a dime quicker than SA could.
TOTTALY AGREE!! I was going to write the same thing. He dances around probably the perfect amount. Some RBs dance so much and end up with no yards.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
To toffee the homer, we have a rookie RB that was top rated pre-draft with all kinds of speed and moves, we also have Penny, who led the league in yards/attempt in his last 6 games.

I am EXCITED.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
IF Penny stays fairly healthy, along with this kid? I don't see anyone CAN'T be excited about this run game.
so true, and all the rushing opens door to play-action. Guess what? Lock didn't suck with play action plays, in fact, he is darn good.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think we all agree on one thing-Barry was the best.
I was impressed with Penny last season and I have
no idea who he compares with..So both he and Walker
maybe they will both be great but different types of RB's.
If they can catch passes good,that opens a lot up.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Walker was never really asked to catch passes in college, so we don't know for sure how he'll do. But Pete indicated he looked good in the minimal look they got at rookie mini-camp.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think he's like Bryce Brown, orrrr call me crazy,
Saquon Barkley.... their combine stats are stupid similar, and Barkleys 2016/17 college season and Walkers 2021 Season with Michigan state are pretty close. Hopefully We have something similar in Walker as for his running style i reminds me of a Nick Chubb, Turbin combo.
Att​
Yds​
Avg​
TD​
2021 Walker III Michigan St
263​
1,636​
6.2​
18​
2016 Barkley Penn St
272​
1,496​
5.5​
18​
2017 Barkley Penn St
217​
1,271​
5.9​
18​

Combine Stats:
Height​
Weight​
Arm Length​
Hand Span​
40-Yd Dash​
10-Yd Split​
20-Yd Split​
Vertical Jump​
Broad Jump​
Bench Press​
Walker III5 Ft 9 1/4 In211 lb30 3/89 1/24.38 s1.50 s2.53 s34.0 in.10 Ft 2 in. N/A
Barkley6 Ft 0 in233 lb31 3/89 1/24.40s1.54 s 2.57 s 41.0 inN/A29 reps

sdog1981

Reaction score
Barry Sanders played A LONG TIME AGO. The 90s were 30 years ago man, rookies going forward are going to have been born in the 2000s.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'd say we'll get our first looks at what to expect from him day after tomorrow. I'm excited to see how long it takes this team to gel and start rolling.
playing calling, OL and RBs. hoping that the Hawks will run like 35 attempts in week 1 for 250 yards. Running enough to keep their defense on the field and their HOF QB on the sideline.

rjdriver

Reaction score
You guys want to feel old?

The truth is that Kenneth Walker III actually grew up watching AP, Chris Johnson, and Maurice Jones Drew. His likely earliest memory of a dominant running back (at around age 6) is LaDainian Tomlinson.

Latest posts