DeSean Jackson thread (stay on topic please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't see it. The speed is appealing, but the substance just isn't there. He's topped 62 catches once in his career, and that took the Chip Kelly offense to do it. Andy Reid threw the ball as much as anybody, and Jackson couldn't put up big numbers in his system. What is he going to do in our system? 45 catches for 800 yards? Not worth it. I'd rather throw Kearse out there for similar production at 1/10th the cost. I already have serious doubts about being able to sign Sherm, Wilson and Thomas, and we're going to add another big contract?

There were 45 players in the NFL last year that made 10 million. 1.5 per team. We're about to have 5 of them. No room for any more expensive players. Especially ones that play positions we don't use much.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":a058yl47 said:
I don't see it. The speed is appealing, but the substance just isn't there. He's topped 62 catches once in his career, and that took the Chip Kelly offense to do it. Andy Reid threw the ball as much as anybody, and Jackson couldn't put up big numbers in his system. What is he going to do in our system? 45 catches for 800 yards? Not worth it. I'd rather throw Kearse out there for similar production at 1/10th the cost. I already have serious doubts about being able to sign Sherm, Wilson and Thomas, and we're going to add another big contract?

There were 45 players in the NFL last year that made 10 million. 1.5 per team. We're about to have 5 of them. No room for any more expensive players. Especially ones that play positions we don't use much.

This might be the first time I actually 100% agreed with you.

SirTed

Reaction score
As someone else stated, I think our main goal here is attempting to drive up the price for SF. there's no question he's an upgrade - but I'd question our ability to use him best along with Harvin, and at the assumed cost, especially with Jackson looking for more than a prove it deal - just wouldn't be worth it.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
formido":1ne98ov8 said:
Lady Talon":1ne98ov8 said:
GoldenIsThyTate":1ne98ov8 said:
Lady Talon":1ne98ov8 said:
DSJ = 5'10''
ADB = 5'10''
PH = 5'11''

6'1'' Kearse and 6'2'' Lockette don't have much of a hope to get significant time behind that lineup. That CFL guy is a longshot and a half to make the final 53.

RW = 5'11'' and struggled visibly with our starting big WR gone.

How do you project RW will do with a midget WR corps and big TE's that don't figure heavily in our offensive statistics?

Golden is only 5'11" and we did just fine, we even won the super bowl. So to quote Jon Gruden, "your talking about that much" the difference between Tate and Jackson is "that much".

that said, I dont want Jackson on this team.

We did well enough with a historic defense and great field position that could help the offense a lot. Otherwise RW hung on to the ball too long and absorbed too many hits, and not all of that can be blamed on our OL.

He'd be the first diminutive QB in the past 2 decades to run primary receiving targets as short is he is or shorter, without heavily targeted pass catching TE's. Vick, Brees (both in SD and NO), Flutie, Joe Thiesmann, etc.

Do we really want RW to be the guinea pig after the abuse he took last year?

Wilson hanging onto the ball too long isn't a problem considering he had >100 passer rating and even though the pass blocking WAS a problem. If the pass blocking were only average, and Wilson still hung onto the ball "too long", he'd lead the NFL in passer rating easily (as he did for the entire second half of his rookie season).

The claim that the offense can't thrive with a bevy of short receivers is provably false[1]. Last season Seattle averaged well over 3 points/drive with Harvin on the field[2], which would have been best in the NFL if done over the course of the season. The mismatches created by Harvin are obvious and it is extremely likely to project similarly in every game he plays in.

By the way, although the defense was the story of the Super Bowl, Seattle's offense dominated that game and, no, it wasn't just due to field position. Seattle's offensive DVOA (which adjusts for field position) in the Super Bowl (with Harvin) was 28%, which would have been good enough for 2nd in the NFL if they maintained that average over the season.

[1] Not that I wouldn't mind getting a nice big receiving target, because it makes the offense more multiple.

[2] Against Minnesota (bad defense), New Orleans (good defense), and Denver (average defense), so a nice average sample, a set of defenses better by average DVOA than Denver faced last year.

6'1'' Kearse figured pretty significantly into our offense without Rice in the mix, even in those games in which Harvin was available. Do you think he'll gain significant playing time over DSJ, PH, and ADB? Why would he? Did that prove my premise false, or was this was my point? DSJ just benches a tough NFC West tested Kearse and replaces him with a 3 inch smaller timing and perfect pass in space dependent, soft WR that even Foles wouldn't hit with consistency when he was pressured.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jackson would only come here if he had a interest in a Super Bowl and understanding we spread the ball and he would not get the touches. Having said that, every thing I have seen is about his touches and how he is the guy and not so much about the team. Yes Philly has been a rough place to play the last 5 years or so. But my thinking is he wants to be a guy that gets the ball from a Manning or a Brady, maybe Rivers where stats are big. Advertising you have interest typically means you want more teams to show interest, maybe because the ones that are at the moment are not what and where you want to go as a option.

themunn

Reaction score
I'm not entirely certain what benefit height brings to a WR with the exception of a red-zone target - something we don't really need with a power running game.
The thought that a team needs WRs over 6'2 is in line with the same thinking that cornerbacks at 6'3 are too tall.

We still have Luke Willson and Zach Miller as excellent pass-catching options - with Jackson and Harvin lining up on opposite sides, you need to play 2-deep safety coverage (even we would). That means only 7 defenders in the box, and more options for our TE to run routes instead of staying in and blocking.

And hey, we can always draft a 6'5 receiver too if we REALLY need to

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Some suspect that teams supposedly interested in Jackson aren’t

Two weeks ago, reports were flying regarding teams expressing interest in pending free agents. In many cases, the reports originated with agents who may or may not have been telling the truth about the existence or degree of interest.

Now, reports are building regarding multiple teams that have expressed interest in Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson. And there’s suspicion in league circles that one or more of the identified teams actually aren’t interested in Jackson — and that the Eagles are leaking embellished and/or fabricated information about interest in order to build a trade market for Jackson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... son-arent/

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
No thank you. He's too similar to our other WRs and like has been pointed out has a bit too much diva in him. I'd worry about him complaining about Percy's contract or threatening a hold out a year or two into whatever deal we'd give him. This is a guy with a reputation of not giving 100% when he's unhappy with his contract. I'd rather spend a high draft pick on a bigger WR that would come cheaper and work harder and use the money on our own guys instead.

nwgamer

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1wblbfzn said:
Ultimate competition,,,, Harvin vs Jackson. I say bring it!

This. This is exactly why I think the team dynamic would work. I can envision them competing like mofo's, and this type of competition really strengthens and builds team unity in the end.

If we can make it work without hurting the team I am down for bringing in the talent. Our team knows how to pull triggers; whether it be to make an acquisition OR a excretion. I do understand the concern for having all short WR's though. Taller guys probably are just a bit easier to see sometimes early in the reads.

I honestly doubt we acquire him but I hope we at least price SF out of the equation. I don't want to see him playing against us three times a season.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I would sign DeSean Jackson in a heart beat, but only if signs a contract under our terms, which would be highly unlikely.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
jkitsune":2js89fol said:
Smelly McUgly":2js89fol said:
If he is released and we can get him around what DET got Tate for, something like 5/30 with 12-15M guaranteed, absolutely we should do it, then immediately pivot to re-upping Thomas and Sherman.

I don't know if it would be prudent to go much higher than that and I don't know if Jackson would settle for that on the open market, however.

It would take an absolute miracle to get DeSean Jackson for Tate's contract, and it would be highway robbery if we did. I would be shocked if his agent doesn't point out that a much less productive WR got 5/30M and request a lot higher.

It totally would; you're right.

I'm for gathering as much elite talent as possible without worrying about height or weight or what have you. I just want elite players on this team. I don't see how it would work for our team, though.

randomation

Reaction score
Can you imagine Jackson and Harvin both back on Kickoffs who do you kick it to or do you just kick out of bounds so it goes to the 40?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Not that I actually expect any of you to raise your hand, but who here doesn't want Allen because of character concerns and yet does want Jackson? Especially when the Eagles are willing to cut him, if they can't trade him, when they aren't even in cap trouble?

Do you realize how toxic this guy is?

randomation

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1byrgkl3 said:
Not that I actually expect any of you to raise your hand, but who here doesn't want Allen because of character concerns and yet does want Jackson? Especially when the Eagles are willing to cut him, if they can't trade him, when they aren't even in cap trouble?

Do you realize how toxic this guy is?

But but speed :p nah I would much rather trade up for Mike Evans then take Jackson even though the kickoff possibilities do make me start drooling

TXHawk

Reaction score
I recall a couple of years ago that Jackson was clearly dogging it for awhile because he wasn't happy with his contract or his QB or the number of throws he was getting or some such nonsense. He sounds like a Me First diva. If they could get him for a year without screwing up the salary cap to re-sign Thomas, Sherman or Wilson next year, I'd be okay with it. Otherwise, no thanks.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
TXHawk":3cbi8vxf said:
I recall a couple of years ago that Jackson was clearly dogging it for awhile because he wasn't happy with his contract or his QB or the number of throws he was getting or some such nonsense. He sounds like a Me First diva. If they could get him for a year without screwing up the salary cap to re-sign Thomas, Sherman or Wilson next year, I'd be okay with it. Otherwise, no thanks.

I'm not too worried about those guys. They are going to be locked up at some point.

Next year we have to worry about guys like Maxwell, KJ, Malcolm, and Baldwin.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
themunn":1frp9dhi said:
I'm not entirely certain what benefit height brings to a WR with the exception of a red-zone target - something we don't really need with a power running game.
The thought that a team needs WRs over 6'2 is in line with the same thinking that cornerbacks at 6'3 are too tall.

We still have Luke Willson and Zach Miller as excellent pass-catching options - with Jackson and Harvin lining up on opposite sides, you need to play 2-deep safety coverage (even we would). That means only 7 defenders in the box, and more options for our TE to run routes instead of staying in and blocking.

And hey, we can always draft a 6'5 receiver too if we REALLY need to

Actually, we were 19th in red zone efficiency so a big red zone receiving threat is exactly what we need. Of course, you can't just get any tall receiver and expect them to be Megatron just like you can't get any tall CB and expect them to be Sherman.

drdiags

Reaction score
Who knows with these type of leaks how true but here is PFT's latest on this regarding the Seahawks interest

Amid a report that the Seahawks have expressed interest in Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, a source with direct knowledge of the team’s thinking tells PFT that the Seahawks have “no interest at all” in Jackson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/seahawks-have-no-interest-at-all-in-desean-jackson/

I am sure someone will create a separate topic using this report as the basis, just cannot help themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.