Deion Sanders says Shedeur & Hunter will decide where they play

NoGain

Reaction score
Yeah, those guys have it sooooooooo rough. To think you're above the draft and have to "settle" for a team is ridiculous, imo.
Entitled, just like their dad.
My point had nothing to do with it being soooo rough or the money they make. It's about having the freedom to seek work where they want to work if they're qualified to do so. Just like you and me.

chris98251

Reaction score
My point had nothing to do with it being soooo rough or the money they make. It's about having the freedom to seek work where they want to work if they're qualified to do so. Just like you and me.
These days every young man with good health and Women as well I think have to sign up for the draft if there is one, you don't get to pick which branch your pretty much Army. Is that wrong as well since you participate in a countries message board that allows you to have an opinion that is here because we had a draft way back when. Nobody liked it, but it was honored.

NoGain

Reaction score
These days every young man with good health and Women as well I think have to sign up for the draft if there is one, you don't get to pick which branch your pretty much Army. Is that wrong as well since you participate in a countries message board that allows you to have an opinion that is here because we had a draft way back when. Nobody liked it, but it was honored.
There's a lot of people who agree with me on this issue, a lot of NFL people. The armed services analogy is not a good one, IMO. That's service to your country. Playing in the NFL is just a job, but one where certain freedoms that other workers have are denied them by an archaic system of indentured servitude.

The NFL functions pretty much as a monopoly. I just think player's rights are woefully lagging. Not being able to choose where you want to work? Huh?

I know most everybody likes the draft. I do too. But when you look at the draft open-mindedly, it's a pretty damn archaic system. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.

NoGain

Reaction score
No draft, no parity.
Not necessarily. There's things like the salary cap, the fact that there's only so many QB positions, playing time, etc, etc... It's about making your franchise/city a desirable place to want to play.

chris98251

Reaction score
There's a lot of people who agree with me on this issue, a lot of NFL people. The armed services analogy is not a good one, IMO. That's service to your country. Playing in the NFL is just a job, but one where certain freedoms that other workers have are denied them by an archaic system of indentured servitude.

The NFL functions pretty much as a monopoly. I just think player's rights are woefully lagging. Not being able to choose where you want to work? Huh?

I know most everybody likes the draft. I do too. But when you look at the draft open-mindedly, it's a pretty damn archaic system. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.
Ok throw out the Armed forces, they almost to a man got full rides in school, if they feel that it is a bad system they could choose any number of other career paths, they chose to attempt to play in a corporation that has it's employees or at least a large portion recruited thru a selection process. Those same players minimally make more then many people make in 10 years in the worst case contract. It goes upwards from there.

It is a choice, they could have been Engineers, Lawyers, Doctors, Architects, Teachers or any number of professions. They also know the process well before they are even eligible.

NoGain

Reaction score
Ok throw out the Armed forces, they almost to a man got full rides in school, if they feel that it is a bad system they could choose any number of other career paths, they chose to attempt to play in a corporation that has it's employees or at least a large portion recruited thru a selection process. Those same players minimally make more then many people make in 10 years in the worst case contract. It goes upwards from there.

It is a choice, they could have been Engineers, Lawyers, Doctors, Architects, Teachers or any number of professions. They also know the process well before they are even eligible.
It doesn't matter how much a player might make. Players once made peanuts to what they do now and it is still an archaic system to me, and in many other's opinions.

And just because someone chose to play football doesn't mean the system isn't archaic and a mild form of indentured servitude, at least through the draft and the beginnings of their careers.

I've never heard an argument against what I'm saying that really held water, other than bad arguments like it is the way it is, or it would be bad for the game, or we love the draft, or some other such weak sauce of an argument.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
In the case of The Teeth, he and his agent threatened he'd play baseball rather than play for the 1983 Colts.

The Teeth also told the Colts he wanted to play on the West Coast or for the Cowboys or Dolphins. The Colts kept trying to make trades, but no trade happened before the draft, probably because the other teams knew the Colts had no leverage and were getting into a weaker position each day.

The Colts informed The Teeth just before the draft that since they hadn't gotten a trade done, they would have to pick him. Once the draft started, the Colts picked The Teeth immediately. They had 15 minutes, but put in their choice right at the beginning. The Teeth said publicly that he was going to play baseball. The Teeth's father said The Teeth would never play for Irsay or Colts head coach Frank Kush.

Irsay had been negotiating with the Broncos since before the draft. The Colts were interested in offensive lineman Chris Hinton, whom the Broncos had taken with the fourth pick. In May of '83, the Colts traded The Teeth to the Broncos for Hinton, a backup QB, and a first-round pick in the next year's draft.

Hinton was drafted to play guard and played in all 16 games for the Colts as a left guard, starting 15 of them, and later moved successfully to left tackle for the Colts, then later to right tackle and right guard for the Falcons and Vikings. He made the Pro Bowl seven times - six for the Colts and once later for the Falcons - in his 13 seasons in the league. He was second-team All-Pro three times, all as a tackle for the Colts, and first-team All-Pro twice, once as tackle for the Colts and once as a guard for the Falcons.

The Broncos' first-round draft pick turned out to be pick number 19 in the 1984 draft, which the Colts turned into offensive lineman Ron Solt. Solt started 16, 15, and 16 games in 1984-86, all as a RG. In 1987, Solt played in 12 games, starting all of them. He made the Pro Bowl and was second-team All-Pro as a guard. He then got into a contract dispute with the Colts and held out for the first month of the 1988 season, and then was traded to the Eagles for the Eagles' 1989 first-round pick and 1990 fourth-round pick.

The 1989 first-rounder became Andre Rison, who played his rookie season for the Colts, then was traded, along with Hinton, the Colts' 1991 first-round draft pick, and the Colts' 1990 fifth-round pick, to Atlanta for Atlanta's #1 pick in the 1990 draft. Y'know, so the Colts could draft Jeff George. Two picks later, the Seahawks got Tez.

The Falcons used the Colts' 1991 first-round pick to draft WR Mike Pritchard, who played nine seasons in the NFL - for the Falcons in 1991-93, the Broncos in '94-'95, and the Seahawks in '96-'99.

The 1990 fourth-rounder became offensive lineman Rick Cunningham, who appeared in two games for the Colts, but not as a starter, in 1990 before bouncing around the league, playing in 80 games for four teams over eight seasons.

What happened to all the pieces of what the Colts managed to get from the Broncos for The Teeth is interesting. Given the situation, it's surprising they were able to get as much as they did for him.
Interesting how you know the Colts so well.. A lot never remember where Rison
and Faulk started.
I thought the GM made some of the dumbest trades ever!
Yes the Colts are my AFC team.

chris98251

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how much a player might make. Players once made peanuts to what they do now and it is still an archaic system to me, and in many other's opinions.

And just because someone chose to play football doesn't mean the system isn't archaic and a mild form of indentured servitude, at least through the draft and the beginnings of their careers.

I've never heard an argument against what I'm saying that really held water, other than bad arguments like it is the way it is, or it would be bad for the game, or we love the draft, or some other such weak sauce of an argument.
Point is they had a full ride and could choose to do whatever they wanted if they thought the NFL was modern slavery, they chose the NFL. It was a choice they made in life, they were not forced there with full scholarships.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Interesting how you know the Colts so well.. A lot never remember where Rison
and Faulk started.
I thought the GM made some of the dumbest trades ever!
Yes the Colts are my AFC team.

I'm not really into the Colts or anything, but I don't have anything against them, either. I liked Bert Jones when I was a kid. More recently, I was glad to get to see the greatness of Peyton Manning.

EDITED to add: when I think of Bert Jones in the late '70s and early '80s, I always remember him being on the cover of an issue of Football Digest, to which my dad had a subscription. When I wrote to Seahawks and (1970s) Steelers players to ask for autographs, I wrote to them c/o the team addresses I found in the back of Football Digest. And when my parents wanted to get me a subscription to some kind of Seahawks-related periodical because I was the only Seahawks fan I or they knew, they used the contact info for the Seahawks in the back of an issue of Football Digest to contact the team and ask if such periodicals existed. The Seahawks made a recommendation, and that's how a kid in Maine ended up with a subscription to the Seahawk Report.

This is the cover of Football Digest I always remember when I think of Bert Jones:

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Is Neon Deion's kid actually any good??? Like starter quality??
IMO Sanders is overrated. He played well at Jackson St but with his games in 2023 I wasn’t impressed with him, granted his OL was undersized, there was a lot of turnover at Colorado. One thing that I hated about him there were times he would be scrambling behind the LOS he would have his back to the LOS I would think “why is he doing that?”

Going into the 2024 season I don’t have him as a 1st rd pick maybe he will improve

When I scout QBs team success has no bearing

NoGain

Reaction score
Point is they had a full ride and could choose to do whatever they wanted if they thought the NFL was modern slavery, they chose the NFL. It was a choice they made in life, they were not forced there with full scholarships.
That's beside the point. What you said has nothing to do with the archaic nature of the system.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Prime time might want to worry about his coaching...or his kids might not have that opportunity!