Deflategate basically over after today's press conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Largefarva":1q8t3is0 said:
TBtoRG":1q8t3is0 said:
Be ready Seattle. You're going to be humiliated for the first time in 2 years. Game won't even be close.

You know who else said this same thing to us, but last year? Donkeys fans. And we all saw how that worked out for them.

Humiliated?

Based on what?

We are statistically better than you in nearly every category. You have virtually no advantage in this game.

Add you to the list of delusional fan bases that will slink back with their tail between their legs next week wondering what hit them.

THESE. FANS. NEVER. LEARN.

vonstout

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1a9x7yvx said:
pats(t)roll":1a9x7yvx said:
furi0usbee":1a9x7yvx said:
#### MY FINAL POST ON THIS MATTER ####

I've gone back and forth in this thread, and for the most part, Seahawks fans have legitimate issues with how the Patriots handled their footballs. But after the Belichick press conference yesterday, he essentially admitted what they did. I'm still hearing people on Patriots radio (Pats fans) still not even knowing what they are talking about, so I will state the exact defense the Patriots are using and you can be the judge of it.

This is NOT my explanation, this is paraphrased right from Belichicks press conference yesterday.

The "process" the Patriots use to prepare their game balls, and which lasts right up until the time they hand them over to NFL officials actually RAISES the PSI in the ball by approximately ONE pound. This is important.

The Patriots then instruct the ref, which may or may not abide by their instruction, to put the game ball at 12.5 PSI, the way the Patriots like it. He didn't say it, but because their process artificially raises the PSI by 1 pound, this would require the ref to actually DEFLATE the football by 1 PSI, so the gauge would now read 12.5 PSI. He didn't say it because that would be DECEPTIVE.

At this point, although the football reads 12.5 PSI, this is a measurement of the actual air pressure inside the football at that moment, and with the air still excited by the Patriots PROCESS of getting balls ready. Belichick said they did not heat them, but they must have REALLY rubbed them:) So at this point, the football is now at 12.5 PSI (temporarily).

Although the gauge says 12.5 PSI, if the excited air inside the football had time to acclimate to room temperature where the balls are tested, and the heat/energy of the Patriots "process" has dissipated, the air pressure would indeed fall to an equilibrium of 11.5 PSI. And this is 11.5 PSI INDOORS. This would depend on how quickly the refs inspected them from the time the Patriots finished their rubbing. I mean they could still be rubbing outside the door before they go in. Crazy though.

Now, when these balls enter the field of play, and after having been subjected to 50 degree weather for some duration, that 11.5 PSI is going to fall by even MORE. If the NFL says balls were 2 PSI under, that means the balls fell another .5 PSI, or basically what Belichick said happened in their tests. For what that's worth.

So as you can see, if this is what the Patriots did, aside from being deceptive and skirting the rules and you can call that cheating, which is fair, the Patriots would not have had to tamper with footballs post inspection, and by all accounts, there would have been NO TIME for tampering with the footballs. Belichick basically confessed to providing the NFL with balls that were deceptively HIGH in PSI.

I for one DO NOT think the Patriots should be allowed to do this. Although not violating the word of the rule, it certainly violates the spirit of the rule. If I were to make a ruling, and seeing as this had NO effect on the outcome of the game, which would have been a big issue for me, should they have won by 2 TDs or less, I couldn't do anything more than fine the organization, and fine Belichick. Brady would not be fined. Brady cannot overrule Belichick. And I would fine Belichick the same as I fined him last time $500k for lying when he said he didn't know what the "process" involved, and another $500k as a deterrent for further violations. That's a pretty detailed process, and at one time he must have at least asked what was going on. I would fine Patriots as an organization another $1M.

So did the Patriots TAMPER with footballs after the refs inspected them? NO NO NO. Any conversation or speculation on that is absurd, unless the NFL has some hard proof.

Did the Patriots deceive the refs? YES YES YES. And I am happy with any fines the NFL imposes on the Patriots. I DO NOT think there will be suspensions or draft picks taken away however. I'll bet there will be rule changes though.

So there, this REALLY is the last time I speak on this until the NFL says something and can back it up with evidence.

I want to stop writing about this, but I keep getting pulled back in. I need to stop listening to sports radio!

Fair points. I don't mean to try to drag you back into this but I just want to point out, if we take BB at his word (I know none of you will do that), then the staff had no knowledge that, while they were trying to create the right feel on the surface of the ball, they were simultaneously affecting the pressure inside the ball. So they did not intend for any deflation of the ball that resulted from this.

Your missing the point.

Did they inflate the balls to 12,5 psi and then prep them? If that's the case then the balls would have tested at 13.5 psi based on BB's explanation. So then how did they get from 13.5 psi all the way down to 10 or 11?

In other words they new the balls would increase in PSI and then decrease with temperature. They likely set them around 11 psi and then prepped them before being tested. Being artificially inflated they then passed the inspection and then deflated with the temperature change.

I don't see how the NFL would take the responsibility of taking air out of any of the balls the Pats supplied that were over 12.5 psi. If they heat them up and they are over 12.5, BB said they ask the officials to take air out. Regardless of how they are doing it, they are using hot air to get a ball with a lower pressure at game time. In my book, that is cheating.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
RichNhansom":747qff0g said:
chris98251":747qff0g said:
Pump to be furnished by home club/ Those have pressure gauges in them right? Those pressure gauges are calibrated, you mess with the calibration you can skew the readings, I am sure that it is a simple screw adjustment or some type as well, so furnish a pump with a skewed pressure gauge and it looks legit, until you use another gauge.

I caught that too. Things that make you go HMMM..

If BB is saying they provided balls over-inflated by 1 PSI, the refs would gauge 13.5 PSI, and if he says he tells the refs he likes 12.5 PSI, then will remove 1 PSI. The equipment really isn't a factor here, unless you are measuring loss of total PSI, and you would need to use the SAME device twice to get an accurate reading of actual loss in PSI.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
vonstout":x4kimyj5 said:
RichNhansom":x4kimyj5 said:
pats(t)roll":x4kimyj5 said:
furi0usbee":x4kimyj5 said:

I've gone back and forth in this thread, and for the most part, Seahawks fans have legitimate issues with how the Patriots handled their footballs. But after the Belichick press conference yesterday, he essentially admitted what they did. I'm still hearing people on Patriots radio (Pats fans) still not even knowing what they are talking about, so I will state the exact defense the Patriots are using and you can be the judge of it.

This is NOT my explanation, this is paraphrased right from Belichicks press conference yesterday.

The "process" the Patriots use to prepare their game balls, and which lasts right up until the time they hand them over to NFL officials actually RAISES the PSI in the ball by approximately ONE pound. This is important.

The Patriots then instruct the ref, which may or may not abide by their instruction, to put the game ball at 12.5 PSI, the way the Patriots like it. He didn't say it, but because their process artificially raises the PSI by 1 pound, this would require the ref to actually DEFLATE the football by 1 PSI, so the gauge would now read 12.5 PSI. He didn't say it because that would be DECEPTIVE.

At this point, although the football reads 12.5 PSI, this is a measurement of the actual air pressure inside the football at that moment, and with the air still excited by the Patriots PROCESS of getting balls ready. Belichick said they did not heat them, but they must have REALLY rubbed them:) So at this point, the football is now at 12.5 PSI (temporarily).

Although the gauge says 12.5 PSI, if the excited air inside the football had time to acclimate to room temperature where the balls are tested, and the heat/energy of the Patriots "process" has dissipated, the air pressure would indeed fall to an equilibrium of 11.5 PSI. And this is 11.5 PSI INDOORS. This would depend on how quickly the refs inspected them from the time the Patriots finished their rubbing. I mean they could still be rubbing outside the door before they go in. Crazy though.

Now, when these balls enter the field of play, and after having been subjected to 50 degree weather for some duration, that 11.5 PSI is going to fall by even MORE. If the NFL says balls were 2 PSI under, that means the balls fell another .5 PSI, or basically what Belichick said happened in their tests. For what that's worth.

So as you can see, if this is what the Patriots did, aside from being deceptive and skirting the rules and you can call that cheating, which is fair, the Patriots would not have had to tamper with footballs post inspection, and by all accounts, there would have been NO TIME for tampering with the footballs. Belichick basically confessed to providing the NFL with balls that were deceptively HIGH in PSI.

I for one DO NOT think the Patriots should be allowed to do this. Although not violating the word of the rule, it certainly violates the spirit of the rule. If I were to make a ruling, and seeing as this had NO effect on the outcome of the game, which would have been a big issue for me, should they have won by 2 TDs or less, I couldn't do anything more than fine the organization, and fine Belichick. Brady would not be fined. Brady cannot overrule Belichick. And I would fine Belichick the same as I fined him last time $500k for lying when he said he didn't know what the "process" involved, and another $500k as a deterrent for further violations. That's a pretty detailed process, and at one time he must have at least asked what was going on. I would fine Patriots as an organization another $1M.

So did the Patriots TAMPER with footballs after the refs inspected them? NO NO NO. Any conversation or speculation on that is absurd, unless the NFL has some hard proof.

Did the Patriots deceive the refs? YES YES YES. And I am happy with any fines the NFL imposes on the Patriots. I DO NOT think there will be suspensions or draft picks taken away however. I'll bet there will be rule changes though.

So there, this REALLY is the last time I speak on this until the NFL says something and can back it up with evidence.

I want to stop writing about this, but I keep getting pulled back in. I need to stop listening to sports radio!

Fair points. I don't mean to try to drag you back into this but I just want to point out, if we take BB at his word (I know none of you will do that), then the staff had no knowledge that, while they were trying to create the right feel on the surface of the ball, they were simultaneously affecting the pressure inside the ball. So they did not intend for any deflation of the ball that resulted from this.

Your missing the point.

Did they inflate the balls to 12,5 psi and then prep them? If that's the case then the balls would have tested at 13.5 psi based on BB's explanation. So then how did they get from 13.5 psi all the way down to 10 or 11?

In other words they new the balls would increase in PSI and then decrease with temperature. They likely set them around 11 psi and then prepped them before being tested. Being artificially inflated they then passed the inspection and then deflated with the temperature change.

I don't see how the NFL would take the responsibility of taking air out of any of the balls the Pats supplied that were over 12.5 psi. If they heat them up and they are over 12.5, BB said they ask the officials to take air out. Regardless of how they are doing it, they are using hot air to get a ball with a lower pressure at game time. In my book, that is cheating.

Well, we are assuming what BB said is true, and that refs actually will listen to them. A. Rodgers says refs will take air out if it's too much, but the way BB is saying, the refs will also take air out to your specs, if you tell them. Again, the NFL needs to clarify all of this. It could turn out everything BB is saying doesn't work with the actual methods the NFL uses. But we ONLY have one side of the story, so that's all we can use. Take if or leave it, but Patriots have given their side. Until the NFL says something, we only have one side.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2y4lsxr2 said:
Largefarva":2y4lsxr2 said:
TBtoRG":2y4lsxr2 said:
Be ready Seattle. You're going to be humiliated for the first time in 2 years. Game won't even be close.

You know who else said this same thing to us, but last year? Donkeys fans. And we all saw how that worked out for them.

Humiliated?

Based on what?

We are statistically better than you in nearly every category. You have virtually no advantage in this game.

Add you to the list of delusional fan bases that will slink back with their tail between their legs next week wondering what hit them.

THESE. FANS. NEVER. LEARN.

TBtoRG makes Patriots fans like myself have to put up with a bunch of sh@t. If you say you are going to humiliate a team, at the least you need to provide some evidence/stats to back up that claim. Short of that, you look like a troll who knows not much about football or his team.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
vonstout":2vtm65bb said:
RichNhansom":2vtm65bb said:
pats(t)roll":2vtm65bb said:
furi0usbee":2vtm65bb said:

Your missing the point.

Good point. It's also possible the balls were manually deflated to 11.5 PSI and then were bumped up to 12.5 PSI after whatever heating process they underwent. This is a key fact we don't know yet. Maybe the referee who conducted the inspection will have a record of the initial PSI. If the Patriots knew their process was temporarily increasing the air pressure, this is probably how they would have wanted to do it. Otherwise, they are relying on the referees to lower the pressure, and Brady said he doesn't want his balls altered after they have been prepped.

Laloosh

Reaction score
furi0usbee":3hlweb31 said:
vonstout":3hlweb31 said:
RichNhansom":3hlweb31 said:
pats(t)roll":3hlweb31 said:
furi0usbee said:

Your missing the point.

Well, we are assuming what BB said is true, and that refs actually will listen to them. A. Rodgers says refs will take air out if it's too much, but the way BB is saying, the refs will also take air out to your specs, if you tell them. Again, the NFL needs to clarify all of this. It could turn out everything BB is saying doesn't work with the actual methods the NFL uses. But we ONLY have one side of the story, so that's all we can use. Take if or leave it, but Patriots have given their side. Until the NFL says something, we only have one side.
Go back in the thread and watch the MMQB video. They make sure the balls are within range and only change the pressure if they don't fall within the proper range, which makes sense.

Anyone with a brain would expect that teams should supply balls that are already within the range as well as to their QB's preference.

Your argument is completely based on believing Belichick rather than common sense and logic. It's sad.

Do you honestly think QB's would want the refs changing the pressure in balls that they had described as perfect when he got to the facility?

You can't see past your own nose on this one

139ab836615f13855bfcce86279fc801.jpg

furi0usbee

Reaction score
We need to learn from the NFL. If the NFL has accurate measurements of PSI at the time of inspection, this could make or break the case. If the ref measure 13.5 PSI, Belichick's process of raising was done after the Patriots inflated to 12.5 PSI. If the ref measures at 12.5 PSI, the Patriots started at 11.5 PSI and the process raised it to 12.5 PSI. One involves the ref removing air to get proper PSI the patriots want, the other involves the Patriots under inflating.

But, if the Patriots started at 11.5, that is below the rules, so starting at 12.5 is the much better legal argument. But it will all come down to what the NFL has for proof. But this involves the ref reducing the PSI down to meet patriots requirements (with the patriots all the while knowing when the ref removes air pressure, it will ultimately fall below the PSI minimum).

furi0usbee

Reaction score
And YES, my logic is based on what Belichick SAID. But this is because the NFL isn't saying ANYTHING!!!!! I can only argue what is on the record. Belichick is on the record now, and the NFL isn't, except via leaks. I'm not judging what he says yet because I have nothing to compare it to by way of NFL information. Right now, we must all assume what he says is true, until it's refuted or proved wrong. Just saying, "he's lying, here is what really happened," doesn't change the fact that he said something and other party has yet to respond. When we have both sides, we can then make an informed decision.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":133hvsl1 said:
TBtoRG":133hvsl1 said:
PFT: 10 of the 11 deflated balls were deflated "closer" to 1 PSI than 2

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Ooops!

Because nothing is more accurate than hearsay during an ongoing investigation.

I honestly feel bad for Pats fans. They aren't emotionally prepared for what's coming.
Yep, they can't handle the truth.
Screw the rules that goes against the fans beloved cheating Patriots, just WIN, because after all's said and done, that's all that really matters.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Foghawk":stu7c498 said:
Is it me or does it not appear that Deflategate is over, basically.
I think the OP might suffer from prematurely ejaculated thread titles.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TBtoRG":zj9g2k7r said:
hawknation2015":zj9g2k7r said:
PFT: 10 of the 11 deflated balls were deflated "closer" to 1 PSI than 2

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Ooops!

C'mon Seasqueaks fans. No thoughts on this?

I don't see the rumor listed there. Do you have a direct link? I would be interested to read it.

It's there. Scroll down.

"But what has the NFL really found? As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI."
And after all the lies are told, it's still 1 pound and still cheating.
If Y'all have a clear conscious after this, nothing more can be said.
Nothing will excuse the lack of integrity or cheating character of all those involved.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Foghawk":2146maas said:

That was my point when I started this crazy thread. I expected most of you to come to the same obvious conclusion. Congrats Foghawk man for being the first Hawks fan in this thread with a clear head.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2a1be1ok said:
Foghawk":2a1be1ok said:

That was my point when I started this crazy thread. I expected most of you to come to the same obvious conclusion. Congrats Foghawk man for being the first Hawks fan in this thread with a clear head.

Look again.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I think the media day for the Patriots is going to be hilarious. All they've done is fuel the fire by adding increasingly complicated information.

Foghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":hjbdv4sx said:
50yrpatsfan":hjbdv4sx said:
Foghawk":hjbdv4sx said:

Look again.

Lol, spinners going to spin.

[youtube]PGNiXGX2nLU[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.