By these calculations temp drop might explain "Deflategate"

RiverDog

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":wmb4kh6a said:
Maybe somebody smarter than me can check these calculations, but it seems to me that there is a possibility that the ball pressure discrepancy could be explained if the referees originally tested the balls @ 12.5 psi in a heated locker room of 69.57 F, but were re-checked at half-time at 11 psi at a recorded outside temperature of 52 F...in other words... if the referees F'd up.

One of the problems with your analysis is that the temperature of the air inside the football is not going to change significantly in the 90-120 minutes that it was outside. The ball is pretty well insulated and at a temperature differential of 18 degrees, there is not going to be very much of a heat loss. Plus there's going to be some heat gained through friction when the ball is handled, bounced around, etc.

I've seen the air pressure drop in my car tires by a couple of pounds if it gets really cold and it sits for 12+ hours. But at 35 psi, a few pounds psi drop only represents about 4 or 5%. There was a 15% drop in psi from 13 to 11 psi that was lost in the Pats footballs.

And as others have pointed out, any changes in air pressure due to environmental conditions would affect the Colts footballs, too, so you're back to Square 1.

kearly

Reaction score
It was upper 50's at kickoff, it seems insulting to our intelligence to suggest that a 10 to 15 degree change would decrease pressure by almost 20%. It wasn't even that cold outside compared to almost any other football game played in mid-January. This theory also does not explain the 12th football, or any of the other balls that checked out fine.

Even if this explanation proved true somehow, it's worth asking if New England stored the footballs intentionally. You have to admit, it's the smartest and most untraceable method.

Multiple games New England has been accused of this. And the outlier fumble data goes back to 2007.

Not that I think it will happen, but I wouldn't protest if Goodell drops the hammer on these two. I don't think he will though. I think he finds their situation too... relatable.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just to confirm my maths:

10410885_756087234469426_5720453307406618390_n.png

Still want to argue the feasibility of it?

TheHawkster

Reaction score
They gotta stop inflating balls right next to a pizza oven. That or somebody used a needle to deflate it.

It will all come out after the Super Bowl.
In the meantime the NFL ain't got no time for the jibba jabba.