Deflategate basically over after today's press conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
rideaducati":ykw3x141 said:
RunTheBall":ykw3x141 said:
Laloosh":ykw3x141 said:
Thank you for making my point for me. Even when you see the footage of how it actually works, you defer to what Belichick said, lol.
Belichick and Brady should take polygraph lie detector tests on deflategate, why not just end the controversy once and for all?

On live television.
That would be too good, would love to see Pats fans reactions when they both failed the test.

droop828

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2quhdyvz said:
RolandDeschain":2quhdyvz said:
50yrpatsfan":2quhdyvz said:
"just made"??? The media has just carried out a complete and irresponsible character assassination of Tom freakin Brady, to the point that most of you here bought it all.
Shut the hell up. I played with the football in my closet at 12.5 PSI, then deflated it to 10.5 PSI, and the difference is INSANELY NOTICEABLE.

Tom Brady's a liar. FACT. Irrefutable. I don't know if he orchestrated it or not, but about not noticing? Yeah. He's so full of fecal matter, his eyes are brown. Stop being such a biased homer; get the hell out of here with that crap.

Lets keep it civil. Brady said that when he's sitting around evaluating the balls, he likes 12.5 the best. But obviously when he takes a snap and has literally 2 secs to decide where he's going with it, he's not noticing the difference at that point. I can understand that, can't you?

And I should add - he performed better in the Indy game when it was 12.5 in the 2nd half, whether he realized there was a difference or not.

So you think the QB of New England, who has played college and pro football for coming up on 20 years now, doesn't know the difference between that much of a psi drop in a football? How many snaps do you think that person has taken over that time in the off season, pre season, and regular season? You think that the player in question doesn't know the difference after all this time? Get out of here. Sorry organization.

hawks85

Reaction score
god, I CANT STAND THE PATS. that whole damn organization is bad. they are a disgrace to this sport, but goodell and the nfl have hard on for these people. for all you pats fans on here, your team sucks and they are overrated. tom brady is a whining bitch. then you got the nerve to come into our forum our house and run your mouth. SHUT THE HELL UP you Shack Material. your whole team makes me sick. you guys are not worth any of your super bowl wins. you people are completely worthless in my book. you dont even deserve to be here. the ravens had you guys beat. you always bend the rules to the point where your no breaking them and then you tell the ravens read the rule book and figure it out are you kiddin me and your laughing at the same time. well let me tell you something, we are not the ravens buddy boy. your about to go up against probably the greatest d of all time. your mr.brady mrs tom diva is pushing 40. i hope you can run pal. you friggin douche bag.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":35no2iv8 said:
SalishHawkFan":35no2iv8 said:
So basically Belichick described HOW they cheated and got away with it and that's supposed to be the end of it?

It is.

Obviously they played with the rules... they cheated, any smart person knows it. His story doesn't hold weight because of that one ball that they saved inflated for the kicker, but that's going to get buried, everyone is on the "rah rah rah" Patriots bandwagon now - all these reporters that were ready with tar and feathers yesterday are all "wow he is so impressive!" today. The sheeples are about as stupid as it gets, and this is why I hated that it was being blown up the way it was.

It gave them an opportunity to "rally".

Now it doesn't matter if they cheated or not, Bill won the court of public opinion where it counts, Patriots have the players union is on their side, quite a bit of the east coast press, and they're rallying around Brady. Meanwhile, Lynch is a villain for not talking and for wearing the wrong shoes - no help from the players union there, hey? It's all about their chosen ones - it's all about the east coast in this country.

You thought the Jerome Bettis victory parade was a farce? It will be NOTHING compared to the narrative about crowning Brady the greatest ever this week.

Bellicheck also rallied and galvanized all Patriots fans... even more than that his team. They are all in. Reports from insiders say the Patriots are in "all out war" mentality.

This all played out perfectly for the Patriots. It went from being a distraction to a war cry.

They are going to be practically invincible next Sunday. Gonna require a miracle better than what we conjured against Green Bay to beat them now.

The whole thing pisses me off. Each time I think I could never despise the media more, they go and pull new shenanigans out of their asses.

Come on, when Kam knocks Amendola into the middle of next week, all that crap goes out the window and it's just a football game.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
What I found strange was the Bill Belichick was attempting to justify a drop to 11 PSI. The 11 balls were initially said to have been deflated to at most 10 PSI. If the best he could do in his independent testing was not enough to make the established benchmark, then what are Patriots fans arguing about? The impossibility of the 2-2.5 PSI drop under natural circumstances has just been demonstrated under Coach Belichick.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
hawks85":3k6gg29y said:
god, I CANT STAND THE PATS. that whole damn organization is bad. they are a disgrace to this sport, but goodell and the nfl have hard on for these people. for all you pats fans on here, your team sucks and they are overrated. tom brady is a whining bitch. then you got the nerve to come into our forum our house and run your mouth. SHUT THE HELL UP Shack Material. your whole team makes me sick. you guys are not worth any of your super bowl wins. you people are completely worthless in my book. you dont even deserve to be here. the ravens had you guys beat. you always bend the rules to the point where your no breaking them and then you tell the ravens read the rule book and figure it out are you kiddin me and your laughing at the same time. well let me tell you something, we are not the ravens buddy boy. your about to go up against probably the greatest d of all time. your mr.brady mrs tom diva is pushing 40. i hope you can run pal. you friggin douche bag.

Well, that's not a helpful thing to say, in or outside of the Shack.

253hawk

Reaction score
Well golly gee, what a surprise.

"Do you consider the Patriots cheaters?"
BwoCQfW

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"The point isn't that the graph proves your team are cheaters. It does not. However, it provide damning circumstantial evidence that it could well be the case because they're well below the mean that nearly all other teams are right near."

The more damning point is that the numbers diverged almost precisely at the moment in time that they would have if the cheating started as soon as it was allowed.

Why is this important? Because the Patriots lobbied for it. This means they lobbied for a slight rule change with the express purpose of using that change to break other rules in order to gain competitive advantage.

The % chances of this divergence being a statistical anomaly are almost zero. Note that there was no divergence before 2007. Why? Because visitors did not have the opportunity to impact their fumble % by artificially lower the ball PSI.

It doesn't matter what the excuse is, or why, or whether there is "proof". The proof is in the numbers diverging at the exact moment that the rule changed. What has not been proven is who gave the orders.

But it is clear that :

1 - Patriots fumbled less because they doctored the ball pressure
2 - Fumbling less often means less lost possessions or scoring opportunities
3 - Less ball pressure means less chance the ball bounces further with a lost fumble, (since the deflated ball absorbs energy) which means more fumbles are recovered by the fumbling team (as shown in most of the graphs).
4 - Patriots that leave the Patriots tend to have their #s revert to the mean, which shows a good indicator that the lack of fumbling was the ball and not the player

Who ordered this is perhaps up for debate. Whether the Patriots cheated or not, is really answered by the data. They clearly cheated, we are just now stuck with how and how much it affected the games they won over the years they cheated.

Now, is Tom Brady or Bill lying? Clearly if Tom was saying he was unaware, yes. And it seems really unlikely that anyone could doctor a ball without the approval or direction of the head coach. So yes, if there was cheating by lowering ball pressure (and there clearly was) then both are lying.

Whether the country believes it order not really doesn't matter. The data clearly shows it and there is no other easy explanation, or even a reasonable convoluted one.

I actually think it is cute some of you Pats fans are so willfully ignorant because you don't want to muss up your delusion about what the Pats are. The nice thing about faith is it gives weak-minded people something to cling to when the facts point in a direction they cannot handle.

jachba

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1pdcnfxl said:
I think the Patriots literally just made 90% of the country Seahawks fans for the Super Bowl.

Most of the fan bases of AFC teams were already on your side before Deflategate. The mind-numbing arrogance of Patriot trolls invading other teams' message boards played a hand in that.....

chris98251

Reaction score
Having played multiple sports, Basket Ball, Base Ball, and Football, you can tell when a ball is irregular, size, slippery, heavy or light, squishy and soft. I am not a professional yet was able to tell almost instantly when we had something irregular or different, even manufacturers, they little grip bumps can be higher or lower or a different shape and or size and you can tell right away. Saying a professional that directs how a ball is prepped can't tell the difference is utter BS. receivers, running backs and QB's who's livelihood is directly tuned to that one ball know as soon as they grab one.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":14kkyqmi said:
At one time I heard that BB could beat anybody with two weeks to prepare. Now that they have been distracted by their deflating balls they have the motivation to win.

This is all spin for the Pats homers.
Anybody except the New York Giants...18-1.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
rideaducati":222f436k said:
50yrpatsfan":222f436k said:
rideaducati":222f436k said:
50yrpatsfan":222f436k said:
This is a good point, and this is my take on it. The team and players aren't overly tuned into the psi number per se. They are focused on the feel and texture of the skin - basically how slippery is it. The refs do the inflation, which was news to me until today. The team preps the balls and turns them over to the ref with instructions to fill to x - some value between 12.5 and 13.5. I doubt anyone chooses 13 or 13.2 - the QB already knows if he likes it on the high or low side and requests either 12.5 or 13.5.

So I don't think they're in there before the game calculating psi, which also is impacted by outside temp and wetness and altitude, which are different from game to game. I think they just focus on the condition of the leather and that's it.

Well, this is my take on it. The Patriots figured out that a ball that only has 10psi is easier to hold on to for all players and would therefore be fumbled fewer times. Those balls would also be easier to catch and throw in inclement weather. The Patriots also figured out that the footballs were checked over two hours prior to the start of games, so they had ample time to deflate them. They also found out that Tommy liked his balls on the soft side.

Having that information, they figured out the when and how to get to and deflate them without being noticed. It worked well until they got caught. They have had the balls being deflated for so long that they practically forgot that this has been being done. They told the equipment guy to make sure this was done before every game and then forgot about it. That equipment guy has been doing it ever since.

That's what I thought too until today.

So, you really believe that Bill Belichick did a science experiment with the balls? Yeah, right.

Well for 1 thing the Pats D coordinator has a degree in aeronautical engineering from RPI. For another, there's probably 500 universities in New England including MIT. I think he had a little help.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2zmzs85f said:
"The point isn't that the graph proves your team are cheaters. It does not. However, it provide damning circumstantial evidence that it could well be the case because they're well below the mean that nearly all other teams are right near."

The more damning point is that the numbers diverged almost precisely at the moment in time that they would have if the cheating started as soon as it was allowed.

Why is this important? Because the Patriots lobbied for it. This means they lobbied for a slight rule change with the express purpose of using that change to break other rules in order to gain competitive advantage.

The % chances of this divergence being a statistical anomaly are almost zero. Note that there was no divergence before 2007. Why? Because visitors did not have the opportunity to impact their fumble % by artificially lower the ball PSI.

It doesn't matter what the excuse is, or why, or whether there is "proof". The proof is in the numbers diverging at the exact moment that the rule changed. What has not been proven is who gave the orders.

But it is clear that :

1 - Patriots fumbled less because they doctored the ball pressure
2 - Fumbling less often means less lost possessions or scoring opportunities
3 - Less ball pressure means less chance the ball bounces further with a lost fumble, (since the deflated ball absorbs energy) which means more fumbles are recovered by the fumbling team (as shown in most of the graphs).
4 - Patriots that leave the Patriots tend to have their #s revert to the mean, which shows a good indicator that the lack of fumbling was the ball and not the player

Who ordered this is perhaps up for debate. Whether the Patriots cheated or not, is really answered by the data. They clearly cheated, we are just now stuck with how and how much it affected the games they won over the years they cheated.

Now, is Tom Brady or Bill lying? Clearly if Tom was saying he was unaware, yes. And it seems really unlikely that anyone could doctor a ball without the approval or direction of the head coach. So yes, if there was cheating by lowering ball pressure (and there clearly was) then both are lying.

Whether the country believes it order not really doesn't matter. The data clearly shows it and there is no other easy explanation, or even a reasonable convoluted one.

I actually think it is cute some of you Pats fans are so willfully ignorant because you don't want to muss up your delusion about what the Pats are. The nice thing about faith is it gives weak-minded people something to cling to when the facts point in a direction they cannot handle.

Peyton Manning lobbied for the rule change. Its called the Peyton Manning rule.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
hawks85":35igrx0l said:
god, I CANT STAND THE PATS. that whole damn organization is bad. they are a disgrace to this sport, but goodell and the nfl have hard on for these people. for all you pats fans on here, your team sucks and they are overrated. tom brady is a whining bitch. then you got the nerve to come into our forum our house and run your mouth. SHUT THE HELL UP you Shack Material. your whole team makes me sick. you guys are not worth any of your super bowl wins. you people are completely worthless in my book. you dont even deserve to be here. the ravens had you guys beat. you always bend the rules to the point where your no breaking them and then you tell the ravens read the rule book and figure it out are you kiddin me and your laughing at the same time. well let me tell you something, we are not the ravens buddy boy. your about to go up against probably the greatest d of all time. your mr.brady mrs tom diva is pushing 40. i hope you can run pal. you friggin douche bag.

I think you need some Kleenex truthfully.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":1twlif53 said:
What I found strange was the Bill Belichick was attempting to justify a drop to 11 PSI. The 11 balls were initially said to have been deflated to at most 10 PSI. If the best he could do in his independent testing was not enough to make the established benchmark, then what are Patriots fans arguing about? The impossibility of the 2-2.5 PSI drop under natural circumstances has just been demonstrated under Coach Belichick.

Their tests accounted for a 1.5 psi drop in psi. The rumors put out by the nfl through leaks were a 2 psi drop to 10.5. So if they've proven that 75% of this mystery drop is due to mother nature, and that every single football ever made is actually different cause it's made from organic material, that we still have an issue here?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Patriot fans have all entered the second stage of grief.

There will be an NFL ruling against the Pats. I guarantee it. And Bill standing in front of reporters claiming that the NFL punished him in the filming scandal unfairly for doing what others were doing is not going to help his case.

Until the Patriots detail what their "process" is, nothing he said matters. The Patriots process may very will be outside the rules.

And since the NFL likes to make the rules up as they go, staying within the rules is pretty difficult when seeking every edge. Perhaps Bill should just try to stay within the ethics?

Status
Not open for further replies.