Defense last two weeks

mistaowen

Reaction score
Watching Marsh go 6 yards behind Taylor was making my blood boil. Dude just kept giving up contain over and over again while their OT happily let him go further outside.

I said it in a different defense thread, but I really wish we didn't stay in zone as much. There was noooo reason to have 4 deep against the type of offense Buffalo runs. On the last drive when we finally brought pressure/disguised coverage there was a noticeable improvement. Taylor made a great throw on the run that was a second from being back to back sacks (lame penalty) and Jeremy Lane once again got beat on the play.

Speaking of Lane, he had a miserable game. I don't have exact numbers but I imagine he has to be in the top of completed passes against this year. It seems he cannot stay with out routes and posts. Robert Woods should not have had a career day last night. He also blew his blitz assignment late in the game, letting Taylor run for a big gain instead of either getting a sack or pushing him back into the scrum.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":3fslvsz4 said:
Watching Marsh go 6 yards behind Taylor was making my blood boil. Dude just kept giving up contain over and over again while their OT happily let him go further outside.

I said it in a different defense thread, but I really wish we didn't stay in zone as much. There was noooo reason to have 4 deep against the type of offense Buffalo runs. On the last drive when we finally brought pressure/disguised coverage there was a noticeable improvement. Taylor made a great throw on the run that was a second from being back to back sacks (lame penalty) and Jeremy Lane once again got beat on the play.

Speaking of Lane, he had a miserable game. I don't have exact numbers but I imagine he has to be in the top of completed passes against this year. It seems he cannot stay with out routes and posts. Robert Woods should not have had a career day last night. He also blew his blitz assignment late in the game, letting Taylor run for a big gain instead of either getting a sack or pushing him back into the scrum.

Cause man to man press gets VERY dangerous if your front four can't get home, and that was the case when we went into man coverage..........Taylor had too much time and ran or found a receiver downfield for 15-20 yard gains.

Hawks have played a lot of man coverage this year, but like I said it only works if you don't have to bring extra rushers. Especially against a QB and team like Buffalo that likes to spread everybody out with crazy formations. That's why Lane stunk so bad, he had to stay with his receivers too long.

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":k42c0uwt said:
I thought our pass rush was impressive, but Taylor made us look silly.

Brady isn't nearly as elusive or strong in the pocket, but he's much quicker with the ball. That's where we will miss Bennett, because middle pressure is much more disruptive of timing.

Hopefully Moore will continue on his stellar effort last night.

It looked like we were making choices with the pass rush, to either put pressure on Taylor and risk him running or just containing him and letting him sit back there all day. Both were frustrating, but I'll take the former any day of the week.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
If the question is what's wrong with the D, the answer is simple. Missing 2 stars. If the question is, what's wrong with Lane, that's simple too. He never was "great"! He looks better when Bennett and company Force the QB into hasty decisions, all of our secondary benefit from good D-line play! Short answer is get Bennett and Chancellor back and all will be well!

Boycie

Reaction score
Hawks46":ercs4mb2 said:
hawker232":ercs4mb2 said:
zchurch74":ercs4mb2 said:
Our defense is starting to look a little shakeup. I understand we are missing Kam and Bennett but we cannot keep giving up this many points.

Is it me or is Earl play a little extra deep?

Woods is having his way with the secondary. 4th quarter and its time to step up. Can't give up these 4th quarter leads like last year.

Could be fatigue. Had long games the last two weeks vs. AZ and NO.

I'm not worried about our defense long term. Buffalo has a lot of those quick, shifty guys that our defense has always struggled against.

I think this is it. Fatigue is setting in a bit. The last 3 games, the defense has played 40 + minutes of each game.

The Cowboys' defense has so much less talent than ours, yet they're only giving up 1.5 more ppg than we are because their offense is protecting them and keeping them fresh and off the field.

The opposite is true for our offense.

Our offense was good against Buffalo, but the problem with it was the fact that we had some pretty big plays on drives that scored TDs but didn't eat up the clock.

Not having a running game is another factor in the D not getting enough of a breather.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I think Moore could bring to bear some pass rush to close games out. I'm excited to see this.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The absence of Michael Bennett is the biggest thing right now imo.

His loss leads to less pass rush, allowing their offense more time to throw and keep drives going. It's all pretty much a domino effect after Bennett has been out