Defending Dez

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Matt Cassel was the QB of an 11 - 5 Patriots team. He's not a world beater, but he's not trash.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, can't assume he'll just stink it up. Hawks will be plenty ready, they know he has done a few things in the league.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's a tough call.

We have to make sure Witten doesn't kill us. Teams know it's our weakness by now.

Dez likely won't be 100%. If I were the coaches, I'd wait and see if he even plays, and how effective he is.

Like others have said, squash the run game and account for Witten.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If he plays, I'd be surprised if he wasn't used only on a limited basis and restricted to a snap count.

He missed the entire preseason with a hamstring injury and has only practiced in limited fashion this week. He's an athletic freak, but I'd be shocked if he was even close to being in game shape. Even if he was, you'd expect the ownership/coaching to be cautious. But then again, Jerry has been publicly declaring that Dez would be back early for weeks now, so maybe he doesn't care.

netskier

Reaction score
I would like to see if Bruce Irvin could cover Written. I believe that he could become our needed tight end stopper, and perhaps become our Gronk-stopper.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I'm guessing since Dez won't be 100% Sherman will stay on one side. Cary Williams can play well so hopefully he does. My fear is Witten carving up our zone.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1plxipg0 said:
So it looks like the Cowpokes are endeavoring to get Dez back in the lineup against us Sunday. When healthy, he's obviously a talented weapon.
Should we be worried? Do we swarm him with Sherm and go away from our successful zone? With Cassell winging it, do we double team Dez and make them target Terrance Williams, Beasley or Witten with 1-on-1 coverage?
One thing the Cowboys are limited in IMO is attempting to burn us with a pass to a RB. McFadden and his upright style will be KO'd by a Kam thump. Maybe Randle can make those plays, but I think he's hurt. Do they dare give CM that role?

It all comes down to execution so why worry about how?

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3vm4lsny said:
So it looks like the Cowpokes are endeavoring to get Dez back in the lineup against us Sunday. When healthy, he's obviously a talented weapon.
Should we be worried? Do we swarm him with Sherm and go away from our successful zone? With Cassell winging it, do we double team Dez and make them target Terrance Williams, Beasley or Witten with 1-on-1 coverage?
One thing the Cowboys are limited in IMO is attempting to burn us with a pass to a RB. McFadden and his upright style will be KO'd by a Kam thump. Maybe Randle can make those plays, but I think he's hurt. Do they dare give CM that role?

There is no one person that makes a defense work, it's a collection of many moving parts. We should be fine :)

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":8cn692qj said:
Siouxhawk":8cn692qj said:

There is no one person that makes a defense work, it's a collection of many moving parts. We should be fine :)
For the most part you are right, but the decision to have Sherm shadow Dez would be a strategic decision outside of the norm. And actually it very much does have to do with Cary Williams executing

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Go up to Hardy and tell him Dez has been talking crap about him. Problem solved. 8)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
My bet is we go base for the first couple of drives which will give us the opportunity to test Dez vs Williams to see where Dez is. If he is in better shape than most think, and he starts to go all A.J. Green on us then we will move Sherm to shut him down.

-bsd

idahohawk

Reaction score
Dez is the least of my worries.

My current concerns:

1. This O Line project is an utter disaster.

2. Cary Williams might be the worst value per $ in the NFL.

3. RW is regressing, due to concern #1 (IMHO)

4. Dallas, if they choose to, (they don't always) can run the ball. Have we stopped a legit running team yet?

Dez. Meh.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
idahohawk":3h9vsfgx said:

My current concerns:

4. Dallas, if they choose to, (they don't always) can run the ball. Have we stopped a legit running team yet?

Dez. Meh.

Well we are 11th in total rushing defense and 6th with 94 yards per game. Stewart's 2 rushing TDs in the Carolina game were the only ones we've given up all season. Also we haven't had a 100 yard rusher against us yet. I think the run D Will be fine.

idahohawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":36urip9w said:
idahohawk":36urip9w said:

My current concerns:

Dez. Meh.

Well we are 11th in total rushing defense and 6th with 94 yards per game. Stewart's 2 rushing TDs in the Carolina game were the only ones we've given up all season. Also we haven't had a 100 yard rusher against us yet. I think the run D Will be fine.

I saw that. I hope you are right. Run D hasn't really been thoroughly tested, and as I said, Dallas may not choose to do so. lol But with a healthy Mebane and Hill, I like our chances much better on that front.