Dear Pete: I love you, but . . .

peppersjap

Reaction score
soje":1vot5zbz said:
To be honest, the "only" mistake today was not to kick that FG on 4th and 5 in the 2nd quarter.

Simple math does it. 31-0 is five scores down. 31-3 is four scores down. At that moment we needed the points.
I agree with this! Four scores down is better than 5 going into the half. It was a mistake but who knows what might have happened after that?

kf3339

Reaction score
nanomoz":12cf00s1 said:
Your ego and excitability in games are a problem that hurts this team.

There might be no one better at crafting a team that scrapes and claws until the final whistle. There might be no no one better at getting buy in from well-paid athletes. There might be no one better at assembling a staff that supports the two above facets of your team . . .

But your clock management, your awful decisions with challenges are a liability to this team.

As president of football operations, you need to hire someone to help you. To make you take the points. To do the quality control work to assure you stop wasting timeouts on long third downs in the third quarter when you're down three-plus scores.

It's stark to anyone with any critical thinking ability. Swallow your pride and remove some in-game authority from yourself.

Please.

I get what you are saying completely. You are not asking for someone who has authority over PC, just another opinion from someone he really respects. It makes sense to me.

peppersjap

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":12qojr9x said:
nanomoz":12qojr9x said:
No. Not in hindsight. It was the wrong decision. You take the points and get on the board. It was 31 to bloody zero. It's about a 90%+ field goal, and, what, a 35% chance at a first down?

Bad decision. A bad decision that isn't on an island.

I mean, Pete isn't Art Shell-bad, but he isn't good. He's gotten away with a lot of bad, aggressive decisions. But the repercussions add up. And if you really believe in doing whatever you can to make this team better, I believe you should support getting the guy some better advice on the sideline.

Listen to yourself. "31 to bloody zero" means you need to put TDs on the board, not peck away with field goals
You are wrong, at that point put some points on the board before the half........it wasn't 4th and 1 it was 4th and 5 and the offense was still not in full gear. Who knows what would have happened if we had kicked the fg but I know at the time I said I hope that doesn't bite us in the ass. It did! I'm still proud of the team for not throwing in the towel though. So many clutch plays in the 2nd half, kudos to Baldwin, Lockett, Wilson and especially Jermaine Kearse who I have been very hard on all year!

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2vq8e9bk said:
I didn't hear anyone complaining about the fake punt td in last years NFCCG. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the decision to go for it at the end of the fist half of last years SB that resulted in 7 instead of 3. And I didn't hear anyone complain about the fake punt today. I'm only hearing complaining on the risky play that didn't work. Yes, this is hindsight.

Exactly...I will gladly sink or swim with Pete. I'm thrilled to death that he's our coach. Like many of you, I sat through
too many tough seasons to bitch about what this man has accomplished here. On to next year...with hope and confidence.

Thank you Pete!!

nash72

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":21ho5lla said:
I didn't hear anyone complaining about the decision to go for it at the end of the fist half of last years SB that resulted in 7 instead of 3..

I complained and still don't agree with it. That decision to go for it instead of kicking the field goal was down right dumb. Sure, we lucked out and Matthews caught the jump ball, but that play probably has less than a 10% success rate. Truly a terrible call.

Crizilla

Reaction score
nash72":1c5lw82o said:
Hawk-Lock":1c5lw82o said:
I didn't hear anyone complaining about the decision to go for it at the end of the fist half of last years SB that resulted in 7 instead of 3..

I complained and still don't agree with it. That decision to go for it instead of kicking the field goal was down right dumb. Sure, we lucked out and Matthews caught the jump ball, but that play probably has less than a 10% success rate. Truly a terrible call.

that was on 3rd down right?

i thought it was a risky but necessary call. Incomplete pass might have left 1 or 2 seconds on the clock left. If that happened then we get the field goal on 4th down.

Largent80

Reaction score
The inability of the offense to get points after the fake probably sealed the defeat and that isn't on Pete.

I wouldn't want any other coach for the Hawks.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Who is in charge of making sure a team is ready to play? I think that's a better measuring stick than whether you kick a FG or go for it down 31-0. I am more concerned it was 31-0.

KillerB

Reaction score
Pete is no more perfect than anybody else. But some of the clock management issues and blown timeouts are on Wilson, and there is no coach in the league I'd rather have in Seattle.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
NJlargent":g0dvfc6m said:
Who is in charge of making sure a team is ready to play? I think that's a better measuring stick than whether you kick a FG or go for it down 31-0. I am more concerned it was 31-0.

Have to agree with this assessment.

31-0 is indicative of more than a field goal attempt/4th down non-conversion decision.
What it is indicative of...I'm not even sure.

Bwarren

Reaction score
Pete is ultimately in charge of the team and is responsible for all. Russ could hurry up more but he has to wait somewhat on Bevell. Bevell is always late getting the plays in and especially on 3rd and long. I like Pete's energy. I wish he would get on his coaching staffs ass a little more. late calls and no adjustments in game.

MexHawk

Reaction score
I find more worrying the fact that he doesn't have the team ready to play 4 full quarters. The slow starts are killing us. I wish the team would play the first half with the same sense of urgency of the 3rd and 4th quarters.

I hope someone tells him "Coach, you can win the game in the first half, like Carolina did yesterday".

rjdriver

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":gsozqia2 said:
NJlargent":gsozqia2 said:

Have to agree with this assessment.

31-0 is indicative of more than a field goal attempt/4th down non-conversion decision.
What it is indicative of...I'm not even sure.

I think it's indicative of consecutive 4:30am body clock wake up times , followed by an incredibly physical football game just a few hours later against an opponent whose been resting for two weeks.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Don't forget that after the failed 4th down attempt, the D got the stop, got the ball back and had a shot at a long field goal that missed. We kick the first one, kick off deep and get the ball back with a little more time and better field position we could vary well have had 6 points to end the half if not 10.

20/20

evergreen

Reaction score
Always take the first half fieldgoals!!! Atlanta showed us this and it was proven today. We take that fieldgoal and its 24-31 and we are four down territory going for the TD no BS onside kicks...