david deihl

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Count me in for the "I thought I was listening to the Chargers home broadcasters and still thought they were awful" crowd.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Had to keep cleaning my tv screen from all the spit flying out his mouth because of his annoying lisp.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
My issue wasn't so much the san Diego praise. Because I believe they deserved it for that show they put on Sunday.
My problem was it felt like deihl talked for the sake of talking over and over again. You don't have to completely breakdown every play.
Also, we don't need to hear about how penalties are bad 40 times

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I thought it was terrible. As bad as the game was these guys were like insult to injury, and not because of any allegiance to teams or anything; just in terms of totally sucking at the job. Good to see that winning a superbowl doesn't change the fact that we always get stuck with the commentator developmental team. Diehl sucks at the job and the other guy isn't nearly good enough to be saddled with someone who's bad at it.

A

Anonymous

Hawknballs":227kyc8p said:
I thought it was terrible. As bad as the game was these guys were like insult to injury, and not because of any allegiance to teams or anything; just in terms of totally sucking at the job. Good to see that winning a superbowl doesn't change the fact that we always get stuck with the commentator developmental team. Diehl sucks at the job and the other guy isn't nearly good enough to be saddled with someone who's bad at it.

Well said.

I would say Diehl sounded too fresh from the game, to me. I totally get what the networks are doing with the fresh talent, but I prefer to hear the play-by-play guy more than the color-analyst. Let the color-guy ease into things where less is more.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Its been said. Called Lynch a cow bell twice.

They both sucked badly.

canfan

Reaction score
Hawks46":1e3x5pmc said:
HawkWow":1e3x5pmc said:
I didn't think he was any worse than Tim Ryan. But I may have been too wrapped up in the game to actually listen to anything they had to say.

Ryan, and most of these guys, talk as though the viewer is watching their first game. Seldom do they offer much in the way of education to anyone more than the most casual of fans. They are irritating fodder, imo.

Listening with the sound off sux because of the lack of crowd noise (etc) so that's not the answer.

In fairness, this is true in almost all sports. I'd love to see the ratio between 1st time, un-knowing viewers and repeat, educated viewers. I'm gonna guess the 1st timer is outnumbered by about 20 million to 1, so the network shouldn't feel like they need to explain the benefits of placing a punt inside the 10 or why a ground ball just might result in a double play.

Pet peeve # 1,245. Sorry for the rant.

I get ya, and I feel the same way. Thing is, I played football and I have a fairly good understanding of it. There's probably a higher level of football IQ on this site than anywhere I've seen except PFF's site. The basic analysis resonates with most fans.

Look at Monday Night Football as an example. They brought Dennis Miller on board. Personally, I thought he was suprisingly knowledgable about football, but he uses an advanced vocabulary and his analogies are sometimes hard to get if you're not highly educated. ABC had a website dedicated to explaining his analogies and vocabulary (I didn't know this, lol !). So, Miller didn't last all that long, as he didn't resonate with the average fan.

The average newspaper is written at a 5th grade level. This is so they don't lose the average person. I try not to overestimated the intelligence of the average person.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Didn't like his broadcast of the game. Don't like him on NFL Radio either.