Dave Krieg

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Me either.He could run a few yards for that 1st down but thats about it.I think some was thinking of Zorny.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
RiverDog":1kgsmlf0 said:
seabowl":1kgsmlf0 said:
I was talking to a non-Hawk friend of mine today and Dave Kriegs name came up. He didn't remember a ton about his career but I reminded him of Dave's long and pretty damn successful run. He had asked me what an past or present Dave reminded me of and I had a hard time coming up with an answer. Just curious if anyone out there has a good comparison?

Krieg had some pretty successful short runs, but they never lasted more than a few games. He was maddeningly inconsistent. He could run off 25 straight completions then fumble when there wasn't a soul near him. I heard later that he had pixie hands, which obviously contributed to his propensity to fumble.

If I had to pick a quarterback to compare his career to, it would be Don Meredith, but most of you probably don't remember Dandy Don. Meredith turned the ball over more than his fair share of the time just like Krieg did and could never get his team quite over the hump....again, just like Krieg. A good arm but not a cannon, mobile but not Fran Tarkenton mobile.
I saw a Hawks game where Joe Namath did the color and Namath said he compared hand-sizes to Krieg and they were the same, so the "little-hands Krieg" thing may have been a myth. Dude just had fumbleitist somethin chronic.
GO HAWKS!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Unfortunately for us....Russell Wilson is about on track to break the record for most career fumbles.

quneur

Reaction score
Krieg was a scrambler but no where as much as Wilson, perhaps less than Aaron Rodgers. I can't think of any current QB which to compare him to. Dave wasn't tall by QB standards and his passes was more lobs than rockets. A lot of Largents catches were thrown over the defender. Dave had Mike Tice (similar to Bobby Ingram & Hasselbeck) to throw to.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
quneur":ny8dftp6 said:
Krieg was a scrambler but no where as much as Wilson, perhaps less than Aaron Rodgers. I can't think of any current QB which to compare him to. Dave wasn't tall by QB standards and his passes was more lobs than rockets. A lot of Largents catches were thrown over the defender. Dave had Mike Tice (similar to Bobby Ingram & Hasselbeck) to throw to.
His best season rushing was 186 yards and it goes down a lot over time from there.He was not a runner by any means.he was sacked what was it 7 times? by Derrick Thomas in a game.That says enough I think.He threw pretty spirals when on and they were not lobs.You got to be thinking of Jim Zorn -the lobs and running.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Krieg did not have a particularly strong arm, but he did have touch and accuracy.
As a scrambler he was marginal, tended to get shoestring tackled/sacked from behind, and wasn't fast enough to outrun DL of his day. Maybe 4.9 footspeed in a 40.

Comparisons? A shorter, slightly better running version of the Peyton Manning of SB 48. Not a great arm, questionable deep ball, not a threat as a scrambler, but knew where to go with the ball.

I have always been a huge Dave Krieg fan. I remember the game he really got his shot. Seahawks playing Pittsburgh, Seattle down 21-0, Zorn sucking, off target. Krieg comes in for the second half and throws accurate passes and moves the team, and makes a game of it. Seattle winds up losing 28-21.

One of my favorite Dave Krieg games was at San Diego, against Dan Fouts and Air Coryell. Seattle gets down 10-0 right off the bat. The rest of the game, Dave Krieg out-Foutses Dan Fouts, leads Seattle to a high scoring road win.

Favorite Dave Krieg moments:

1) The pass to Steve Largent late in the 1983 playoff game in Miami that put Seattle in position for the short Curt Warner TD run. This came after Krieg had thrown a pick that led to a Miami TD and Miami lead, after Seattle had outplayed them the whole game.

2) At KC, after shaking off Derrick Thomas's woulda-been 8th sack of tjhe game, fires a game-winning 20 yard TD pass to Paul Skansi as time expires. Skansi gets absolutely clocked but holds on anyway.

3) At Denver, fires a bomb to Daryl Turner on the Hawks first offensive play of the game. Turner hauls it in and completes an 80 yard score. Seahawks win on the road against Denver and Elway.

two dog

Reaction score
By pure chance on a vacation years ago, I ended up in Milton Wisconsin
which is near Janesville. Again by chance drove by Milton college which
had been shut down by then. To my wife,"Hey, that's where Dave Krieg
went to school". It was an old stone building and I swear, my old high
school looked larger and I didn't go to a very large high school.

The Seahawks always brought rookies in by the bus load and Krieg happened
to be on one of those buses. I used to burn a week of vacation every year
to attend training camp in Cheney and remember when he arrived.
His coach at milton knew someone in the Seahawks organization.

By his second year Krieg was following Jim Zorn everywhere. Not like a puppy
dog but more like a predator. That year he passed Sam Adkins on the depth
chart and soon became the starter after Zorn hit a bad patch for a few games.

Very unpretentious guy. Shooting pool and drinking beer at Showalters after
practice with several of the Seahawks. All they had to do in those days was
make the evening meal, then meetings. Things have changed a lot.

My key memories of him were hitting Sam McCullum for the game winner
in New England on the last play of the game. I seem to recall 63 yards.
In Denver after the Seahawks took a touchback kickoff at their 20 to
start the game and Krieg hit Darrell Turner for 80 yards to silence
Mile High stadium. They went on to beat the Donks too.

Latest posts