Danny O'Neil claims Coleman "beat out" Mike Rob

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Like others have said, Danny is technically correct. I mean Mike Rob was extremely sick, making a lot of money, not a good mix this day and age for veteran players.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":38czkjm9 said:
Teqneek":38czkjm9 said:
CANHawk":38czkjm9 said:
Coleman DID beat out Mike Rob. The fact that Mike Rob was down to 180lbs, using a walker and set to make $2.5m obviously played a huge factor in it, but Coleman STILL beat him. Could Coleman beat out a HEALTHY Mike Rob? Probably not, but lucky for Coleman, he didn't have to...

And FWIW, I really like Danny O'Neil. His strange fetish for bow ties notwithstanding. I think he's a pretty sharp guy. He does his homework and knows his stuff, unlike half the chuckleheads on this board these days...

grasping much there.. 180 lbs? LOL.. Just pulling numbers out our butt now eh ;) 212 was the number.. but hey whats 32 lbs right?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

See also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=canhawk

CANHawk

Reaction score
That's right bitch. CANHawk can NOT be defined. He is too amazing to be defined by normal words. You'd need several pictures and at least one instance of improper touching to be able to define CANHawk...

scakfan

Reaction score
ivotuk":15yjzlui said:
O'Neill is an ass kisser and I get so tired of his faked laugh that he makes overly loud. He has some occasional good points but then he gets arrogant and says the stupidest isht! He even overrides Brock sometimes which is completely ignorant.

Danny is very knowledgeable, but he needs to tone it down some with his "volume."

And to say Coleman outperformed Robinson on the field appears to be an attempt to kiss up to Pete and John, but it's far from reality. Someone as smart as Mr. O'Neill should know that "outperforming" someone, or something means a head to head competition under similar conditions.

I used to listen to Brock and Salk but with Danny there it is just unbearable. His extended GIRLEY giggle belongs on an Ophra Winfrey show. For someone whom probable never owned a set of cleats he sure is given a lot of leeway in providing his opinion. I think all in all KJR is much more informative and entertaining. Especially SOFTTY!

OP
OP
BigBallsPete

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
To clarify, Danny was definitely insinuating that Coleman outperformed Robinson on the field. He wasn't saying the Robinson got sick and Coleman won the job by default.

This isn't the first time either, over the past few months every time the MRob topic has come up, Danny has made comments to that effect. It's a ludicrous position that I wish Brock would call him on.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To be fair to Danny, didn't a few prominent Seahawk bloggers predict Ware and/or Coleman would "beat out" Mike Rob before he got ill (w/ cap hit and age factored in, of course)? And those guys did look good in pre-season. In retrospect, I think there definitely was a chance Mike Rob would have lost this job even if healthy, though I would've considered it a mistake. His illness just made it harder for him to fight for it. However, I agree that saying Mike Rob was "outperformed" during pre-season isn't fair.

Basis4day

Reaction score
BigBallsPete":3n0sotb4 said:
To clarify, Danny was definitely insinuating that Coleman outperformed Robinson on the field. He wasn't saying the Robinson got sick and Coleman won the job by default.

This isn't the first time either, over the past few months every time the MRob topic has come up, Danny has made comments to that effect. It's a ludicrous position that I wish Brock would call him on.

Can we have the quote? I still don't see what is so ridiculous about it (Though you're free to disagree with Danny's opinion). MRob missed preseason games and it's Danny's job to cover the team. He also has access to coaches and personnel that we don't. We never saw what Mike Rob was like in a regular season game, so the best any fan can go off is their own preference.

I like Mike Rob's play as much as the next fan, but my opinion is entirely based on what i saw last year. Same as most fans.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2yeczexw said:
All of Mr Robinson's blocks better be pancakes because you all have really built him up to the stuff of legend.

This is exactlywhat I'm thinking. I like MRob too and am really glad he's back, but that's a mighty high bar everyone's setting for him. This isn't exactly Mike Alstott or Jim Taylor we're talking about here. Rob's good but c'mon people...

OP
OP
BigBallsPete

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
Basis4day":3swiampo said:
BigBallsPete":3swiampo said:

Can we have the quote? I still don't see what is so ridiculous about it (Though you're free to disagree with Danny's opinion). MRob missed preseason games and it's Danny's job to cover the team. He also has access to coaches and personnel that we don't. We never saw what Mike Rob was like in a regular season game, so the best any fan can go off is their own preference.

I like Mike Rob's play as much as the next fan, but my opinion is entirely based on what i saw last year. Same as most fans.

I don't feel like going back through the 3 hour podcast yesterday, that's why I asked if any of you caught the show. Please correct me if I didn't hear him right. My point is that Robinson is a proven commodity who has been playing at a high level in real NFL games for years.

Does anybody here think Coleman is a better football player than Robinson (money and health being equal)?

Does anyone here seriously question whether there will be a performance dropoff because we now have Mike instead of Coleman? To me, that last question is asenine.

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3gup0xsu said:
All of Mr Robinson's blocks better be pancakes because you all have really built him up to the stuff of legend.

This isn't about Mike Rob being Chuck Norris. It's about Derrick Coleman being Steve Urkell, for the first six games, at least.

Everyone that watched Coleman closely agreed that he was hurting the offense by being out there. The coaches obviously agreed, because Coleman's role was being reduced in every successive game, meaning that very important parts of our playbook were going away with him.

He did play very well in the Cardinals game before his injury, but I thought even at the end of the preseason that Seattle would be nuts to keep Coleman, much less ditch Mike Rob for him. Based on what we've learned this week, they didn't have a choice.

On that note, Danny O'Neil is a moron for thinking the Coleman swap was in any way based upon on-field performance. He's a nice guy, but his football knowledge is far weaker than Huard's and as a result he has to rely on clichés and talking points way too much.

Throwdown

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1eqzl78i said:
Missing_Clink":1eqzl78i said:
What's wrong with saying that Coleman beat out a guy who had lost 40 pounds from an illness and was hospitalized? Can't play fullback from a hospital bed

To say Coleman "beat out" Robinson infers he outperformed MRob on the field

Bingo

Coleman beat out Ware for the FB spot, Mike Rob was pretty much gone after his illness.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kearly":20y6kvjy said:
Tech Worlds":20y6kvjy said:

This isn't about Mike Rob being Chuck Norris. It's about Derrick Coleman being Steve Urkell, for the first six games, at least.

Everyone that watched Coleman closely agreed that he was hurting the offense by being out there. The coaches obviously agreed, because Coleman's role was being reduced in every successive game, meaning that very important parts of our playbook were going away with him.

He did play very well in the Cardinals game before his injury, but I thought even at the end of the preseason that Seattle would be nuts to keep Coleman, much less ditch Mike Rob for him. Based on what we've learned this week, they didn't have a choice.

On that note, Danny O'Neil is a moron for thinking the Coleman swap was in any way based upon on-field performance. He's a nice guy, but his football knowledge is far weaker than Huard's and as a result he has to rely on clichés and talking points way too much.

Honesty kearly I do not believe that most people on this board watched Coleman closely at all. They are merely parroting what you say.

Not that you are incorrect in your assessment.

This guy has quickly became Paul Bunion.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CANHawk":2lncaft0 said:
That's right bitch. CANHawk can NOT be defined. He is too amazing to be defined by normal words. You'd need several pictures and at least one instance of improper touching to be able to define CANHawk...
Adding your own entries into Urban Dictionary makes you a tool. 8)

Basis4day

Reaction score
BigBallsPete":175wpgx4 said:
Basis4day":175wpgx4 said:
BigBallsPete":175wpgx4 said:

I don't feel like going back through the 3 hour podcast yesterday, that's why I asked if any of you caught the show. Please correct me if I didn't hear him right. My point is that Robinson is a proven commodity who has been playing at a high level in real NFL games for years.

Does anybody here think Coleman is a better football player than Robinson (money and health being equal)?

Does anyone here seriously question whether there will be a performance dropoff because we now have Mike instead of Coleman? To me, that last question is asenine.

And therein lies the rub. It's pretty clear that MRob's health played a major factor in the decision to cut him. Whether or not a healthy MRob beats out Coleman is irrelevant because you're disagreeing with O'Neal based on MRob being healthy all through camp. That isn't what happened.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2cphsqgm said:
kearly":2cphsqgm said:
Tech Worlds":2cphsqgm said:

Honesty kearly I do not believe that most people on this board watched Coleman closely at all. They are merely parroting what you say.

Not that you are incorrect in your assessment.

This guy has quickly became Paul Bunion.

Extremely relevant.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The Radish":247o5efj said:
Nice article about it in our newspaper this morning. I'd post it but if you don't subscribe to our paper they charge for access to their files.

Its from MikeRobs side and he said just what is posted above, he was ill, making more money than any fullback in the league.

The team had to make a decision, keep him and pay him $2.5 million or cut him and take a chance on younger talent. That experiment didn't work as well as they hoped because it takes a while for a new blocker to "get it" about that position.

I'd now be interested in what happens next year.

:les:
In my paper too and it's free to read here (and yes, it's a very good read):

http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/oct/ ... -robinson/

AgentDib

Reaction score
I wonder if everybody realizes that we are averaging 4.5 yards per carry so far this season? Obviously I would love for it to be even better with MRob, but blaming our offensive struggles on Derrick Coleman is hilariously silly.

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":393b8o9e said:
CANHawk":393b8o9e said:
Adding your own entries into Urban Dictionary makes you a tool. 8)

CANHawk didn't add his own entry. Jester did that, but the urban dictionary denied him! Because it is not POSSIBLE to define the CANHawk.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
AgentDib":s4vf8mcu said:
I wonder if everybody realizes that we are averaging 4.5 yards per carry so far this season? Obviously I would love for it to be even better with MRob, but blaming our offensive struggles on Derrick Coleman is hilariously silly.
Did you factor in that Wilson's runs account for a good chunk of that?

Like several folks here already said, I sincerely hope people's expectations for MRob aren't too sky high, especially for the first couple of games.