Dan Kelly quotes I wish got stapled to Bevell's forehead

Scottemojo

Reaction score
OkieHawk":27e7mcsc said:
Scottemojo":27e7mcsc said:
We also shuttle personnel more than almost any team in the league, and the result is a lack of time on the play clock, and that is absolutely on the coaching staff. I think it would be a tremendous step in the right direction to find that best personnel group and keep it on the field for several plays in a row. It would afford Russell 10 extra seconds to look over a defense, potentially change a play, and perhaps get the D to tip it's hand. Right now we do the QB a huge disservice with the way we put him against the clock. It is my own very disputable opinion that this constant shuttling is also making it very difficult to get into any kind of rhythm, but I think it is equally indisputable that over time, what we do in certain personnel groups is a huge tell to the D as to what is coming.

This has bugged me for a bit now. I get that the coaches want to shuffle players depending on the play, but they should realize that it's adversely affecting the offensive rhythm. I'm all for going no huddle from here on out to see how that works. Let Russ do his magic and put more of it on him, because I'm fairly certain he and the rest of the offense can do it.
I look at the Eli Manning/McAdoo pairing as what is possible when you get the right OC for the QBs next step in growth. While Wilson and Manning are very different in many ways, they are both deep to short field readers who think big play first. Manning uses no huddle, calls audibles from that no huddle, and with Mcadoo's short and mid range oriented style, has grown as a QB. Dude won two Bowls, but what he needed to grow even more as a QB was an OC who both gave him freedom, but changed his approach to the short pass game. All this while his offensive line got worse.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":rooin0yh said:
OkieHawk":rooin0yh said:
Scottemojo":rooin0yh said:
We also shuttle personnel more than almost any team in the league, and the result is a lack of time on the play clock, and that is absolutely on the coaching staff. I think it would be a tremendous step in the right direction to find that best personnel group and keep it on the field for several plays in a row. It would afford Russell 10 extra seconds to look over a defense, potentially change a play, and perhaps get the D to tip it's hand. Right now we do the QB a huge disservice with the way we put him against the clock. It is my own very disputable opinion that this constant shuttling is also making it very difficult to get into any kind of rhythm, but I think it is equally indisputable that over time, what we do in certain personnel groups is a huge tell to the D as to what is coming.

This has bugged me for a bit now. I get that the coaches want to shuffle players depending on the play, but they should realize that it's adversely affecting the offensive rhythm. I'm all for going no huddle from here on out to see how that works. Let Russ do his magic and put more of it on him, because I'm fairly certain he and the rest of the offense can do it.
I look at the Eli Manning/McAdoo pairing as what is possible when you get the right OC for the QBs next step in growth. While Wilson and Manning are very different in many ways, they are both deep to short field readers who think big play first. Manning uses no huddle, calls audibles from that no huddle, and with Mcadoo's short and mid range oriented style, has grown as a QB. Dude won two Bowls, but what he needed to grow even more as a QB was an OC who both gave him freedom, but changed his approach to the short pass game. All this while his offensive line got worse.

Something definitely has to be done as Russ has regressed a bit this year, and it's on him and the staff for this.

OP
OP
G

gcolby

Reaction score
I don't think anyone who is critical of Bevell is ever suggesting its all his fault. But like Scottie and others have pointed out there are some real issues that have been around for a long time.

I respect that other people disagree but I find this offense has been inconsistent and flukey for years with different personnel but the same OC. I think its more than fair that the OC take some responsibility for a multi year trend.