Damn Impressed With Wilson.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Greg Cosell hates the Seahawks. Not sure why, maybe because he doesn't like non traditional QBs. I used to listen to his garbage on Cowherd last couple of years, and while he had some good info here and there, he always bagged on Russell Wilson and the Seahawks.

I don't think that he understands Pete's approach on offense and defense of "We are going to line up and beat you and there's nothing you can do about it." It's gotten us to back to back Superbowls so it must not be too bad of a system.

drdiags

Reaction score
MarylandHawk":1i1m4me4 said:
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/07/nfl-st-louis-rams-aaron-donald

Aaron Donald explains why hed rather go against a traditional pocket passer any day.

Interesting. I guess that Zone running scheme tends to make you a finesse team? Guess I had thought the team got away from that image after Holmgren retired but at least according to Donald, the Seahawks are finesse.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Aros":3d9yznyx said:
Given how utterly horrific our OL is right now with ZERO ability to protect our beloved QB, check out these stats from Monday night. Even though he was sacked 6 times...

He completed 20-26 passes Monday night for 287 yards, a 76.9 completion % and a 125 QB rating.

His QB rating for the year is 100.5.

That's incredible.

I can't think of any other QB in the league that would have those numbers with this OFFENSIVE line we have. It truly tells the tale of how special Wilson really is. Of course this can't last and if the OL doesn't improve the only stat we will be looking at is how many games he is missing due to injury.

Oh, and Fire Bevell.

I can only think of 2.

Brady and Rodgers.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1y9iboc9 said:
Aros":1y9iboc9 said:
Given how utterly horrific our OL is right now with ZERO ability to protect our beloved QB, check out these stats from Monday night. Even though he was sacked 6 times...

He completed 20-26 passes Monday night for 287 yards, a 76.9 completion % and a 125 QB rating.

That's incredible.

I can't think of any other QB in the league that would have those numbers with this OFFENSIVE line we have. It truly tells the tale of how special Wilson really is. Of course this can't last and if the OL doesn't improve the only stat we will be looking at is how many games he is missing due to injury.

Oh, and Fire Bevell.

I can only think of 2.

Brady and Rodgers.

Rare talent is rare.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
drdiags":cbq31ru0 said:
MarylandHawk":cbq31ru0 said:
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/07/nfl-st-louis-rams-aaron-donald

Aaron Donald explains why hed rather go against a traditional pocket passer any day.

Interesting. I guess that Zone running scheme tends to make you a finesse team? Guess I had thought the team got away from that image after Holmgren retired but at least according to Donald, the Seahawks are finesse.

Thanks for posting the link. It's a terrific read and really points out what is probably a huge issue here. Our offense is so simplistic that a rookie DT playing in his second NFL game could easily decipher what was coming...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Aros":3bzvnjco said:
I can't think of any other QB in the league that would have those numbers with this OFFENSIVE line we have. It truly tells the tale of how special Wilson really is.

I can. Peyton Manning.

Did you see how bad his line was after he stepped out and Curtis Painter replaced him? They couldn't block thin air.

QB is the more influential piece, every time.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1k1wrgiu said:
Aros":1k1wrgiu said:
I can't think of any other QB in the league that would have those numbers with this OFFENSIVE line we have. It truly tells the tale of how special Wilson really is.

I can. Peyton Manning.

Did you see how bad his line was after he stepped out and Curtis Painter replaced him? They couldn't block thin air.

QB is the more influential piece, every time.

Yeah, when you're a Peyton Manning you're going to be influential cause youre one of the all time greats. Wilson will never be on that level as passer so what's the point in wanting or thinking he can be at that level.

To boot, the discussion is should JS give another extension near the end of RWs contract because it's highly unlikely we are going to be in a position to draft better or free agent up better/cheaper unless shtf.

I understand that he can grow and I think he will, it's just the Seahawks are putting a few impediments to that in the way, namely an offensive line that isnt merely average and a weirdly limited offensive coordinator. But what if he doesn't get better then what, go fish?

hawk45

Reaction score
Rodgers holds the ball as well, and got sacked a ton in the year his OL sucked.

Whatever Wilson's faults, and holding the ball is definitely a disadvantage behind a struggling line, in 2013 when our legitimate linemen returned (Okung, Unger, Carp, Giacomini), Wilson functioned just fine. And Carp and Sweezy were no pass pro savants.

Wilson is never going to be the kind of QB that can bail out a crap OL, heck Brady and Manning may be the only two who can. Wilson needs an at-least reasonable line, slightly below average, and that's a tradeoff I will take for the things he can do that Brady and Manning can't.

mrt144

Reaction score
Also, in regard to painter, defenses were ruthless against the hapless colts.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wilson is NOT a Pure Pocket Passer.........He's better.
With an Offensive Line that's ranked near the very bottom, where a pure pocket passer would fail miserably, Wilson is a cat of a different breed.
100.5 ?....SERIOUSLY?!

mrt144

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2dre8vix said:
Wilson is NOT a Pure Pocket Passer.........He's better.
With an Offensive Line that's ranked near the very bottom, where a pure pocket passer would fail miserably, Wilson is a cat of a different breed.
100.5 ?....SERIOUSLY?!

Wilson's biggest problem is not being GOAT

Laloosh

Reaction score
Laloosh":30r9ii7j said:
Aros":30r9ii7j said:

That's incredible.

It is impressive. He's also 12th in air yards which means we're not relying on screens and 2 yard passes to move up and down the field. He's got the 13th lowest % of YAC so he's doing it through the air.

Needs to work on his ball placement though imo. Hitting guys in stride can lead to a lot more YAC if they don't have to reach behind, go up high, etc. Also, throw more to JG.

Better info regarding his air yardage than I provided.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... hawn-lynch

This is obviously a macro-level look at things, and we only have a four game sample. The main point is that the passing game peripherals are quite promising. Wilson is back to his typical passing yardage distribution; we may be seeing him take a step forward in his development, only for the step to be obscured by some troubling pass protection. This also isn't a case of Wilson having to go deeper because of game script, as he had a low AY/ATT during the sputtering Seahawk start to 2014.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Just imagine him throwing more and more to JG ... a big target, who can actually catch and run ... His number are just going to get better.
Lots of the incompletions are actually ball thrown away intentionally to prevent sacks, because pocket broke after 1/2 second ...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawk45":1bzdtqmt said:
Rodgers holds the ball as well, and got sacked a ton in the year his OL sucked.

Whatever Wilson's faults, and holding the ball is definitely a disadvantage behind a struggling line, in 2013 when our legitimate linemen returned (Okung, Unger, Carp, Giacomini), Wilson functioned just fine. And Carp and Sweezy were no pass pro savants.

Wilson is never going to be the kind of QB that can bail out a crap OL, heck Brady and Manning may be the only two who can. Wilson needs an at-least reasonable line, slightly below average, and that's a tradeoff I will take for the things he can do that Brady and Manning can't.

Never going to be the kind of QB that can bail out a crap OL? He's on track to get sacked at a record level while avoiding half again as many sacks, but still performing well. Why is that not bailing out an OL? Seems like he bailed out his OL for AT LEAST the first half of our SB-winning season...in his second year as a pro. Will never be...has never done????

There is a difference between masking bad line play and 'bailing them out.' When you actually have a system designed to get the ball out quickly, you can mask bad OL play. We don't have that under Bev, so the horrendous blocking is there for all to see, but Russ has definitely bailed them out on numerous occasions. How many times have we seen comparable play to the pass to Kearse for a 50yd gain, when more than one defender had him dead to rights? If that's not bailing out your OL, what is?

Rocket

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1isfwc5s said:
Many many people have decided they just don't like him
What's not to like, besides the cliche's ???
The dude visits sick kids... and did it BEFORE he was famous.